HELP! How do you keep the flywheel from spinning while doing clutch swap?

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
In the middle of replacing the clutch on my 08 Bullitt, how do I stop the flywheel from turning so that I can remove the clutch and flywheel bolts? Thank you in advance for any tips/tricks/pics. I am doing this with the car on jack stands and no air tools.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Use a pry bar wedged against a tooth in the flywheel and one of the dowels out the back of the block.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Got the clutch and flywheel off, hopefully I will be able lock it in place when I have to torque the bolts when installing the new parts.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I have never had this issue when removing or torqueing back on but I have always had the belt on up front.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
when removing i use air tools. you could also use a HD cordless impact.

when torquing down i have found changing the angle of the wrench also helps. instead of torquing down from the outside, the handle is actually outside the circumference of the flywheel. say the bolt is at the 12ocklock position and you hold the wrench at the 3 ocklock. torque from the center across the flywheel. say the bolt you are torquing is at the 12oclock position, hold the wrench at the 9 or 10 ocklock position.
you could also use a screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel and the shaft is on the edge of the block to keep it from turning.
or you could use a tool designed for the job, flywheel holder/ turner like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flywheel-Tu...848311&hash=item2126196805:g:3toAAOSwhvFZDFiV

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

when torquing down i have found changing the angle of the wrench also helps. instead of torquing down from the outside, the handle is actually outside the circumference of the flywheel. say the bolt is at the 12ocklock position and you hold the wrench at the 3 ocklock. torque from the center across the flywheel. say the bolt you are torquing is at the 12oclock position, hold the wrench at the 9 or 10 ocklock position.
you could also use a screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel and the shaft is on the edge of the block to keep it from turning.
or you could use a tool designed for the job, flywheel holder/ turner like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flywheel-Tu...848311&hash=item2126196805:g:3toAAOSwhvFZDFiV

That will work also. As crazy as it sounds there is a little coordination needed for this though.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score

No reason to over complicate a FW install, I stick a screwdriver through a FW bolt hole, wedge it against the block and torque ARP bolts to 55 ftlbs,

For the clutch, wedge the screwdriver between one of the PP bolts and PP cover and torque to 55 ft lbs.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
To torque my flywheel I threaded a trans bolt and a clutch bolt that went to the outside of the flywheel and used some string to anchor them together. Once I put the clutch on I only needed to add a little manual pressure with my hand to torque it down.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Flywheel is on and torqued to spec, put a screwdriver through the pressure plate bolt hole on the flywheel to lock it in place. Doing the pressure plate today, and then starting the reassembly process. Not looking forward to putting the trans back in by myself on my back, but I did grind off the ears and massaged the trans tunnel a bit.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
Do you still have my number? I'll be happy to come over and give you a hand. Dean

07 Boss

Reaction score
Flywheel is on and torqued to spec, put a screwdriver through the pressure plate bolt hole on the flywheel to lock it in place. Doing the pressure plate today, and then starting the reassembly process. Not looking forward to putting the trans back in by myself on my back, but I did grind off the ears and massaged the trans tunnel a bit.

Do you still have my number? I'll be happy to come over and give you a hand. Dean

You know I'm here in town too. We should get together regardless, not a big support group here for us in this town, so we should get acquainted at least. I'm not available today but tomorrow after like 5 I should be available to help or at least cruise by and give some moral support, you know, cold beers.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
First attempt at reinstalling the trans was a bust, going to get back at it in the morning. If anyone has any tips/tricks they would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back