Going full retard on my door panels - I am at the breaking point

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have tried several times to fix my door panel sag, even letting a "pro" fix it. I am done with that crap. I am about to place my order with Scott Rod Fabrication for his door panels. Getting the bead rolled black versions.

My worries are,

1.) Fitting the door handle pull - should not be a problem since ours is cable.
2.) I have a little experience riveting, I want this done right.....how hard could it be?
3.) Door lock and window switches. Scott says there is plenty of wiring to relocate to dash....I am thinking under the steering wheel.
4.) Sound, I could see this being a big steel drum....will place some dynamat to absorb vibrations.

Any questions/concerns/comments?

upgrade.jpg

S%20197%20door%20panels%20005.png

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe upgrade to the 2010+ panels?
I love mine

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the 14 gt500 steering wheel and LOVE it. I am all about high quality oem parts.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
You trim off a plastic alignment pin on the back of the doors. The two main bolts match up perfectly.

The edge trim screws only one or two match up. I only added an extra to the bottom of driver side to pull it in.
I swapped the 06 switches to the 10+ panel with some grinding on alignment bits on the switch and super glue.
Supposedly you CAN rewire to the new updated switch but I was told originally I can't.
May try to swap them back in some day

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You trim off a plastic alignment pin on the back of the doors. The two main bolts match up perfectly.

The edge trim screws only one or two match up. I only added an extra to the bottom of driver side to pull it in.

May try to swap them back in some day

Wow....well that sounds pretty easy then. I was under the impression it was much more difficult. Thanks Wes! I think I would rather go this direction to maintain speakers.

Still thinking though....sure would love to see pictures of both setups. Anybody?

Rm

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I'll look for my pics I saved somewhere. I did swap to a setup without the shaker subs in the door, but still has the regular door speakers.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll look for my pics I saved somewhere. I did swap to a setup without the shaker subs in the door, but still has the regular door speakers.
That would be ideal for me. I have the factory shacker 500.....but soon to be replaced with a single DIN radio so I can do the Speed Of Sound "3 gauge center cluster".

I wish there were some good pictures of the Rod Scott panels installed. I think they look super cool. But I want to make sure.

Last edited:

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I found metal door inserts a while back that looked really good. I can't remember the name or find them right now. But they replaced only the insert. Everything else was the same. I thought these were the best looking and easiest option and planned on buying them but never did. Maybe someone reading this will remember the name of the place that made these.

They were actually plastic and it looks like the company that made them is gone. Might still be worth looking into in case someone else is still making them. Here's a link with pics

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=17141

Last edited by a moderator:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am going with the Scott Rod panels. Jumping in head first!

Not sure if there are options for the door speakers, but yesterday I tuned my stereo so that only the rear speakers were on, I was completely satisfied with the sound. A lot of times I use headphones on long road trips anyway.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Here's passenger side. Dirty in the pic from just installing it

Attachments

• received_10210446424215832.jpg
    received_10210446424215832.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 28

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here's passenger side. Dirty in the pic from just installing it
That looks good!.....I am very close to committed to the Scott Rod panels. But still going back and forth.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I just went full retard on my door panels again and I think I've found a method that worked. Completely disassembled and soaked/cleaned all of the residue from the red leather door insert. I don't know the word to describe it, but I removed the pad or whatever it is that you glue the leather to. It is the fiber backing material glued to the plastic door panel. It must come off, in my opinion this is the weak link.

Now I'm left with a clean hard plastic door panel to glue the leather to. I didn't want the feel of leather to have a hard as plastic feel behind it. First I experimented with 2mm foam sheet I got from the hobby/fabric store. I'm watching TV while trying to cut and make the foam work and extremely frustrated. The TV commercial comes on for flex seal. You know the rubber in an aerosol can? I run to lowe's and pick up a can. Mask the door and spray it on. After it cures it has a semi-soft feel to it, better than hard plastic. Then I glue the leather onto that. I use the most expensive can of aerosol can 3M interior adhesive you can buy. $23 bucks I think.

It's routinely been above 100 degrees here in SoCal. It's holding for the past 3 months and I think it will stay that way.

Last edited:

05stang

Reaction score
You can just rip off everything sand it down to remove some of the adhesive and buy a can of spray on bedliner from autozone. I did mine about 2 years ago and still looks the same since day one. Here's a pic, a bit dirty from all the handling but you get the idea

Attachments

• IMG_2359.JPG
    IMG_2359.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 56

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I got it in my head I want something different/racey. My order has officially been placed. I went with the "upgraded" bead rolled modle, satin black finish and silver/grey door pulls.

Back