Going full retard on my door panels - I am at the breaking point

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can just rip off everything sand it down to remove some of the adhesive and buy a can of spray on bedliner from autozone. I did mine about 2 years ago and still looks the same since day one. Here's a pic, a bit dirty from all the handling but you get the idea
I wanted to say I would go your route. I like it the best out of any I have seen. The upholstery shop used some sort of glue that ruined my panels....damn them...not that I couldnt find a another set.....but I am just fed up.

I guess I just want something different. Save some good weight too.

46addict

Reaction score
There was someone here with the 2010 panels who had the pleather sag. If they are glued on the same way from the factory as the 05-09 then you'll eventually run into the same problem. The key is in how well the surface is prepped and glued, or you can do what you did and go the Scott Rod route. I'd be interested in seeing how you get the door pull to work.

For the window switches I assume you can drill holes into the panel but you may have to bypass the stock wiring harness because the stock one has provisions for lighted switches/one touch up-down, etc and may not work with a basic 3 position switch. To replace the door speakers you could use the space at the sideview mirror panel and wire in some tweeters.

This is all over my head and I'm just thinking out loud. Let us know how the install goes.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The vinyl pieces will still fall off the '10+ door panels- they are mounted the same way with that stupid foam, the piece of my passenger side has already come off a couple times.

The big difference is, the '10+ panels are a hell of a lot easier to fix. The piece of vinyl is smaller and there is about 1/4" of it that tucks down in around the insert, and it's not always brushing your arm either. Would be super easy to fix with silicone which is a great permanent solution but difficult to do on the '05-09 panels because the vinyl piece is just so big.

Also, although it's moot at this point, I did do this writeup for my panel swap:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131456

Note that this is what I did for what I considered a good, clean, very close to OEM fit of the door panels (i.e. as little of a gap as possible between the panel and door itself). Others have claimed they didn't have to do this much work, I guess it depends on how picky you are.

Last edited:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fedex says they will be here tomorrow!

Scott Rod assured me the installation should be quite easy. The instructions provided are comprehensive he says. I plan on mounting the window switches under the steering column. Should be easy to get to and out of the way. Now the door handle....not sure.....it would be great if I could mount the stock assembly onto the panel. It should match well if it is possible. Scott said our door pulls are cable, so it is very easy to modify the position and or method of release.....I will check out the instructions and see. I did go for the grey door pulls, as they should match the grey accents of the Bullett interior well, along with the satin black finish of the panels.

I am quite nervous. But excited. I HATE my current door panels, and I think the look will be "racy" and interesting.

Rm

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Totally exstatic! The panels came during my lunch break, and after seeing them, I decided to call it an early day and get started. They look INCREDIBLE! First off they were packed very well, with a lot of thought to keeping them safe. Second the paint job ( satin black) is flawless as are the bead rolls. They look so cool in person. As of right now, I am super happy. They even came with quality rivets. Taking the old panels off now and will be mocking them up this afternoon. Deciding how to do the door handles and the door pull placements. The first cut or hole is going to be nerve racking. I am not fully decided on how I want to do the door release. If the stock will fit, then I will use it.
7042d898e85fb6cacf8eab6b919cf6ee.jpg
4722aea7ced69e24c31ff4ec7f882aaa.jpg
c5663aca786d286d58b3aafd27a99c22.jpg
21065e9c67cdaf01b63ecbf0ab4634ac.jpg
b9168ffc996070e3b4bd9a9096d91c61.jpg
86d4bfa5a524e227bbe63b4128475d8e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
nice looking replacement panels, but just a bit much for me.

I love my 2010+ panels

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First off. They are much lighter than the stockers. My little scale only goes to 11lbs and with the original it maxed it out with I would guess 2-3lbs left to go.....so say 13lbs each. Then you have the speakers in the doors. Those totaled to 5lbs total. As you can see the Scott Rod panels are 4.8lbs with a little dynamat. So say 10lbs total vs about 31lbs for the original setup. Not a bad way to loose 20lbs. I know it is subjective....but I LOVE these panels.

Also, you want leg room?! Jeeze its crazy, you have so much more space!

I made some annoying mistakes in my excitement. I had to drill 3 rivets out TWICE! First time it was lined up wrong, second time when I closed the door, it sounded like I had left 2 wire coathangers in the door.....super annoying and no way could I just live with it. See the picture of the "body clip nut" ? Not sure what to call that, but it makes a hell of a racket when nothing is bolted to it. Instead of pryingnit out I just threaded the original bolt back it. No big deal.
6944357a789af0f410450c7adbb4e71f.jpg
e090c688fddeaf14a309fd5cf1919015.jpg
e2029068e319cd9baa5d4632bf511408.jpg
146ec209bed3639ebcfed20cf935be1a.jpg
aea873df45058c32811a4042477e2223.jpg
496c77acc59ee9e82a05ae5199177866.jpg

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those are a little too "two dimensional" for my tastes but if you like them, that's all that matters.

I think that square edge on top of the panel would be a little weird when you wanna hang your arm out the window, though.

07 Boss

Reaction score
They look good, don't know if I would put them in my daily. The metal panels will transfer heat or feel hot to the touch. Can't think that is going to be good. I have a metal window switch panel and it burns my leg on most days when I rest my leg against the door.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kinda surprised Ford hasn't faced a class action lawsuit over this problem.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those are a little too "two dimensional" for my tastes but if you like them, that's all that matters.

I think that square edge on top of the panel would be a little weird when you wanna hang your arm out the window, though.

The square edge ain't as bad as it looks. You can still rest your arm comfortably.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They look good, don't know if I would put them in my daily. The metal panels will transfer heat or feel hot to the touch. Can't think that is going to be good. I have a metal window switch panel and it burns my leg on most days when I rest my leg against the door.

On the heat issue....they are tucked in so tight to the door they dont get much sunlight to begin with. They arnt ever perpendicular to the sun, so they don't get frying pan hot.
On top of that you have soo much more room, you would have to go out of your way to touch the panel with your body. And its thin aluminum so it sheds heat super fast.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I like! Looks great man, that is a really easy way to lose some weight for sure while still maintaining good looks, and of course getting rid of the crappy oem leather that constantly peels off.

07 Boss

Reaction score
On the heat issue....they are tucked in so tight to the door they dont get much sunlight to begin with. They arnt ever perpendicular to the sun, so they don't get frying pan hot.
On top of that you have soo much more room, you would have to go out of your way to touch the panel with your body. And its thin aluminum so it sheds heat super fast.

Makes sense. I have a big chrome Corbeau cam lock harness buckle. I temped it at 145* one day. During the summer here I can't put my belt on till I'm almost home because of how long that hunk of metal stays hot. I do have another harness now but just haven't put it in.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like! Looks great man, that is a really easy way to lose some weight for sure while still maintaining good looks, and of course getting rid of the crappy oem leather that constantly peels off.
Thanks ! I love your Instagram account keep up the cool posts!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back