Need help ! Unable to install Borla S type on 2006 Mustang GT

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Guys, I desperately need help.. I've tried several times to install the Borla S-type mufflers, however I cannot get them onto the neck of the over the axle pipes no matter how I try to rotate them.. It appears the rear hanger brackets are what's causing the issue, as the brackets for some reason are just not providing enough clearance to be able to slide the neck of the axle backs onto the OTA pipes.. It's almost as though the hanger brackets are too long or something, but I know that Stage 3 motorsports sent the correct part number for my 06 GT.. Borla part #11750..

At any rate, I am totally stumped and don't understand what is causing the fitment and clearance issues, as Borla S types are supposed to be a direct fit for the 05-09 GT models.. I'm also still running the stock exhaust manifolds with stock catted mid pipe with magnaflow tru X welded in place of the original OEM H section along with Magnaflow street axle back exhaust..

Anyhow I'd really appreciate any feedback and advice that can possibly be provided.. Thanks in advance

-Rocky

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Did you unbolt the hangers from the body or are you trying to slide everything together? I unbolted the hangers, slid them onto the mufflers, then attached them to the pipes.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I did unbolt the hangers from the body.. I even tried sliding just the mufflers onto the neck of the OTA pipes without the hangers, but the hanger brackets on the mufflers wouldn't provide enough clearance, as they kept hitting the underside of the rear valance..

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The hanger brackets shouldn't require modifications nor cutting, as they're supposed to be a direct fit.. Has anyone experienced similar fitment issues with their Borla S Types ?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
A couple suggestions. Remove the mid-pipe clamp so the OTA pipe is free, slide the muffler in place into its hangers, then work the OTA pipe into the muffler. If that doesn't work completely remove the hanger(s) causing issues, get the mufflers onto the OTA pipe, the put the hangers on the rods and back in place.
Or, now that I think about it, I might have had the cut a different notch on one of the ends of the borla pipes where it is supposed to slide into place where the OTA stud is. I think one side did not line up right.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
A couple suggestions. Remove the mid-pipe clamp so the OTA pipe is free, slide the muffler in place into its hangers, then work the OTA pipe into the muffler. If that doesn't work completely remove the hanger(s) causing issues, get the mufflers onto the OTA pipe, the put the hangers on the rods and back in place.
Or, now that I think about it, I might have had the cut a different notch on one of the ends of the borla pipes where it is supposed to slide into place where the OTA stud is. I think one side did not line up right.

I completely removed the hangers from the vehicle just as the included instructions from Borla recommends.. However I was unable to work the mufflers into the OTA pipes due to the muffler rods not clearing the rear valance..

Therefore it wasn't the hangers causing the clearance issue, it was the muffler rods that wouldn't provide enough clearance to slide/work the mufflers into the OTA pipes..

Perhaps the only way, is to remove the mid pipe clamp, free up the OTA pipes and then slide the OTA pipes into the mufflers rather than follow the recommended instructions from Borla which didn't mention anything about removing the mid pipe clamps, but recommended to completely unbolt the hangers from the body of the car instead which obviously did not work out :shrug:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I have that exact same muffler on my car. They went on easy. I would take some photos of them and send them to Borla for confirmation that you've got the right mufflers despite what's on the box.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Do they have an issue meeting properly with not enough slack or angle? Or do they just won't slide together? Could be your pipes are out of round? I used an exhaust pipe expander to make sure my pipes were round. go ahead and undo that mid clamp completely and let the over axle pipes hang there freely so you can manipulate it and slide it together with your muffler. Then put it back together and tighten. Be sure you have enough clearance between the hangers and the rear frame rail as it can be a pretty annoying squeak if you don't.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have that exact same muffler on my car. They went on easy. I would take some photos of them and send them to Borla for confirmation that you've got the right mufflers despite what's on the box.

So did you loosen up the mid pipe clamps and let the axle pipes hang free, or did you just uninstall the hangers from the frame rails ? In the meantime, I will be contacting Borla to make certain I have the right mufflers..

Do they have an issue meeting properly with not enough slack or angle? Or do they just won't slide together? Could be your pipes are out of round? I used an exhaust pipe expander to make sure my pipes were round. go ahead and undo that mid clamp completely and let the over axle pipes hang there freely so you can manipulate it and slide it together with your muffler. Then put it back together and tighten. Be sure you have enough clearance between the hangers and the rear frame rail as it can be a pretty annoying squeak if you don't.

There just isn't enough slack/clearance for them to meet properly.. Apparently the hanger bracket rods from the new axle backs keep hitting the rear frame rails, getting in the way preventing them from getting the right angle to slide into the over the axle pipes.. Therefore I'm thinking about loosening the mid pipe clamps and getting the OTA pipes to hang freely in order to move them around and hopefully manipulate them enough to then slide together in place :shrug:

I know you're certain, but it sure sounds like you've got the wrong part to me.

I will be contacting both stage 3 motorsports and Borla to find out.. That you can be sure of..

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't loosen the mid pipe clamps. I just simply unclamped the oem mufflers and they came right off. Slipped the Borlas on.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't loosen the mid pipe clamps. I just simply unclamped the oem mufflers and they came right off. Slipped the Borlas on.

I had no problems getting the old Magnaflow street mufflers off.. However I could not get the new Borla axle backs onto the OTA pipes, as the hanger rod brackets attached to the Borla's kept getting in the way, hitting the frame rails at the rear valance.. So I'm looking into loosening the mid pipe clamps which will free up the OTA pipes and see if that makes any difference and if it doesn't ? then it's highly possible that I was sent mufflers made to fit a 2010 GT that require longer hanger bracket rods :shrug:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
could take a pic and show us how bad it is hitting, or let us see if its even the right hanger configuration etc

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
could take a pic and show us how bad it is hitting, or let us see if its even the right hanger configuration etc

I couldn't even get them onto the axle pipes to mount them because of the hanger bracket rods getting in the way, as they kept hitting the frame rails of the rear valance.. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and take/post pics on here for you all to see for yourselves..

Here's 6 images of the Borla S type axle backs.. Four of the six pics are the right side muffler and 2 of the 6 are the left side muffler..

Last edited:

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No offense but are you trying to put the right side muffler on the driver or passenger side?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
No offense taken.. I was trying to put the left muffler on the drivers side and the right sided muffler on the passenger side.. I was just taking those pics from both sides to illustrate the hanger rod angles..

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
It quite possible your mid pipes that go over your axles is aftermarket.
I had the same issue...
I had a full Magnaflow exhaust from the H all the way to the back
Due to this, I was unable to install my outlaws....

I ended up having to cut and weld in the outlaws to fit the current pipes

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It quite possible your mid pipes that go over your axles is aftermarket.
I had the same issue...
I had a full Magnaflow exhaust from the H all the way to the back
Due to this, I was unable to install my outlaws....

I ended up having to cut and weld in the outlaws to fit the current pipes

You're actually 100% spot on.. My over the axle pipes are full Magnaflows along with the Tru X crossover welded into the stock catted mid pipe.. What I don't understand however is this.. My current Magnaflow street axle backs that I've been running fit with no problem whatsoever despite the fact their designed to fit the stock exhaust/axle pipes :shrug:

Here's an attachment of the Magnaflow Tru X crossover..

Last edited:

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
You're actually 100% spot on.. My over the axle pipes are full Magnaflows along with the Tru X crossover welded into the stock catted mid pipe.. What I don't understand however is this.. My current Magnaflow street axle backs that I've been running fit with no problem whatsoever despite the fact their designed to fit the stock exhaust/mid pipe :shrug:

Here's an attachment of the Magnaflow Tru X crossover..

Yup... they won't fit they have a slight difference in the bend. once they go over the axle.
You will have to custom fab pipes to make it fit.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back