1-piece driveshaft, a must mod

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I should have done this a long time ago. Not only is it less clunky, it's much smoother and quicker accelerating. I'm also getting better fuel mileage. If anyone is on the fence, do it. I used the Ford Performance one that has U-joints at both ends. I was able to get the old one out and new one in without dropping the exhaust, too. Nicely balanced with no vibration.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I should have done this a long time ago. Not only is it less clunky, it's much smoother and quicker accelerating. I'm also getting better fuel mileage. If anyone is on the fence, do it. I used the Ford Performance one that has U-joints at both ends. I was able to get the old one out and new one in without dropping the exhaust, too. Nicely balanced with no vibration.

Did you also install a driveshaft safety loop ?

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Might want to look into that, I installed one when i did my one piece.

something about if it comes undone in the front that you don't catapult yourself, not sure how much truth is in that...but decided to install on anyway

I thought about it, but decided against it since I sold my slicks. I wouldn't think it would have any greater chance to do so than the stock one, but maybe I'm wrong?

Phil1098

Reaction score

something about if it comes undone in the front that you don't catapult yourself, not sure how much truth is in that...but decided to install on anyway

When I was in my teens I actually saw that happen on an old Monte Carlo on the interstate. Took the rear end out from under the car. That was a lot of years ago and cars were junk by comparison to today's stuff.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Well, I am on the other side of the fence. I installed a DDS one piece driveshaft and absolutely hated it. I got a lot more noise from the drivetrain, and I didn't notice any performance benefit whatsoever. It is my understanding that a bigger benefit would be gained if your are FI, but since I am NA, it didn't help at all, at least from the seat of the pants feel. I took the thing off and sold it after only a few months of having it on the car. Worst mod that I have ever personally done.

In fairness, though, I have never had the "clunky" issues that many Mustang owners have had with the stock two piece unit.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Well, I am on the other side of the fence. I installed a DDS one piece driveshaft and absolutely hated it. I got a lot more noise from the drivetrain, and I didn't notice any performance benefit whatsoever. It is my understanding that a bigger benefit would be gained if your are FI, but since I am NA, it didn't help at all, at least from the seat of the pants feel. I took the thing off and sold it after only a few months of having it on the car. Worst mod that I have ever personally done.

In fairness, though, I have never had the "clunky" issues that many Mustang owners have had with the stock two piece unit.

Interesting, although I wonder if that was specific to the DSS unit, for which I have seen more than a fair share of complaints.

My stock driveshaft was noisy AF with the clunking during low speed shifting. It was embarassing at times.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Anybody know who makes the shafts for Ford Performance?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
DSS here. Does transmit more rear end noise in my experience. The BMR spherical UCA and the new mount probably don't help either. Put a stiffler's loop in later on. Pretty easy install.

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
I got an Axle Exchange 1 piece and it doesn't have any issues as well. Also the GT came from the factory with a drive shaft bar that goes across the tunnel about half way down the driveshaft.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Interesting, although I wonder if that was specific to the DSS unit, for which I have seen more than a fair share of complaints.

My stock driveshaft was noisy AF with the clunking during low speed shifting. It was embarassing at times.

I have heard complaints in general about DSS shafts as well as other manufacturers of one-piece drive shafts. In no way at all am I knocking the DSS unit. I feel that it was a high quality piece, and my problem was not with the drive shaft itself. I just didn't care for the increase in noise that came from the transmission tunnel, and since there was no performance gain, I feel that it was not worth the price.

For anyone having clunking noises caused by the stock two-piece unit, I guess it's worth a try.

Just MHO. YMMV.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I had clunking noises from the 2-piece shaft, I isolated the noises as coming from the rear half of the shaft, and those noises didn't show up until one track night where I guess it really wasn't having as good a time as I was.
I replaced the factory shaft at some point about 3 years ago with a 1-piece DSS unit, and the transmission clunking got louder. The MT82 and its lovely lack of tolerance control has been a nightmare to listen to, especially during low-speed parking lot cruising when you're on and off the clutch a lot. If not a certain way, you can make some rather interesting metal-clanging noises show up from under the car. I recently heard these noises as a tech was driving my car into the shop for a sticker and alignment. Reminded me how much I was a different transmission.
The DSS' rear CV joint went bad on me about 2 years after I installed it and DSS agreed to fix it for free after a bunch of emailing back and forth, but when I got the thing back from them I quickly sold the freaking thing.

I put in another OEM 2-piece shaft from a friend's '12 Roush and it's been clunk-free, but of course the MT82 is still the piece of shit it's famous for, so I can still make its noises appear at any time.

If I was to do another 1-piece, I'd probably get the Spicer unit, and only because Ford Performance apparently thinks it's good enough for them to re-brand it, and at $683 shipped through Amazon, it's not as expensive as some of the other options out there.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I agree, the MT82 in my car is a very noisy animal. It makes all kinds of sounds that i've gotten tired of chasing down, so I Just live with it. Similar to Gabe, low speed parking lot hunting, or going down my dirt/rocky driveway/road makes for some very unusual sounds between it and the stiff suspension.

I didn't notice any performance difference when I added it, I just bought it because the center CV joint boot separated after I installed my relo brackets. It pushed the rear too far back and pulled the joint too far apart.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so here is my question.
Does having Air Lift suspension matter if getting a one piece drive shaft? I want one but I'm not sure if it will have enough play for the travel of the suspension. Some one have experience with the combo?

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK, so here is my question.
Does having Air Lift suspension matter if getting a one piece drive shaft? I want one but I'm not sure if it will have enough play for the travel of the suspension. Some one have experience with the combo?

Axle Exchange in my car and no issues with the Air Lift suspension. Normal ride (alignment height is about 1 to 1-1/2" lower than stock).

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score

That happened to a friend of mine with a Jeep Comanche. Driving down the interstate at 70. Drive shaft dropped and pole vaulted the vehicle forward. No seatbelt on at the time either. Believe me. Do as mentioned and get a loop added.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
That happened to a friend of mine with a Jeep Comanche. Driving down the interstate at 70. Drive shaft dropped and pole vaulted the vehicle forward. No seatbelt on at the time either. Believe me. Do as mentioned and get a loop added.

If the driveshaft broke at the tranny end, how would it get past the H (or X) on a mustang with dual exhaust, 4.6 or 5.0 engs?

I don't have a safety loop at the front end of my DSS, but do have the BMR
rear tunnel brace + mating DS safety loop. That rear brace is aprx just aft of where the oem pillow block bearing resided on the oem 2 piece DS. I can't see the DSS pole vaulting, even with it broken at the tranny end. The DS can't get past the rear safety loop, and it would have to chew its way through the H or X.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back