1-piece driveshaft, a must mod

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
If the shaft doesn't break or pole vault the car, in an event where the car gets shorter it can also make an interesting entrance into the cabin! Carbon will shatter.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I seen an episode of Mythbusters where they tried their best to get a car to pole vault by purposely breaking a drive-line, and they even had to cut a big divet into the road as a cup for the driveline to fall into, and the best they could do was get the rear of the car off the ground a few inches.

I believe that the whole "pole vaulting" from a failed drive-line came from someone's theory a long time ago that nobody ever bothered to question, And in turn have sold thousands of aftermarket drive-lines and safety loops since. I'd still agree that you'd be better off with a loop than without if a failure occured, I just don't imagine me and my car flying through the air because of it

Last edited:

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I seen an episode of Mythbusters where they tried their best to get a car to pole vault by purposely breaking a drive-line, and they even had to cut a big divet into the road as a cup for the driveline to fall into, and the best they could do was get the rear of the car off the ground a few inches.

I believe that the whole "pole vaulting" from a failed drive-line came from someone's theory a long time ago that nobody ever bothered to question, And in turn have sold thousands of aftermarket drive-lines and safety loops since. I'd still agree that you'd be better off with a loop than without if a failure occured, I just don't imagine me and my car flying through the air because of it

As mentioned, not just theory. Happened to a roommate (not with a Mustang). See my previous post.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
As mentioned, not just theory. Happened to a roommate (not with a Mustang). See my previous post.

Mythbusters busted !!!!

Isn't that show off the air...

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a '71 Mustang convertible that broke the front u-joint once. Car pole vaulted up violently, messed up his floorpan badly, and the driveshaft snapped off and shot out the back of the car taking out the windshield of the car driving behind him. I have had driveshaft loops in all of my performance cars since!!!

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
You guys are talking like everyone should be installing driveshaft loops on their cars, regardless of usage. Do you all have driveshaft loops on your trucks? I think we're getting a little out of range here.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Mythbusters busted !!!!

Isn't that show off the air...
Mythbusters busted by.........AndrewNagle...??? It is off the air because they've run out of reasonable stuff to test is what I'd guess. I buy into what they showed, over what someone's sister's, cousin's, neighbor's room-mate witnessed, who has a friend who is a member over at S197forums.

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
For those who's car's pole vaulted into orbit, obviously they must've been going fairly fast, which in turn their U-joint was probably shot and vibrating badly for two years before they flew up and went skidding onto their roof. I'm just thinking if mine breaks, I'd put money that it'll be from a launch and I probably won't even break the beams at the track.

I just think anyone here that knows a little about how stuff works will be able to diagnose a bad U-joint without even getting under the car, and if you still launch off of the trans-brake while knowing you have a bad U-joint / coupling, you still won't pole- vault.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
You guys are talking like everyone should be installing driveshaft loops on their cars, regardless of usage. Do you all have driveshaft loops on your trucks? I think we're getting a little out of range here.
I agree, and also think if there was such great potential to go pole vaulting, the manufacturers would address it easily and quickly, and you'd see safety loops on anything with a drive-line. I do believe that a clutch drop or hard launch could certainly break anything in the drive-line system, but I think it'll probably just beat the piss out of the bottom of your car in 10% of the worst case scenarios.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Mythbusters busted by.........AndrewNagle...??? It is off the air because they've run out of reasonable stuff to test is what I'd guess. I buy into what they showed, over what someone's sister's, cousin's, neighbor's room-mate witnessed, who has a friend who is a member over at S197forums.

Just busting balls...I too enjoyed the show

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Happened to me one time on an old Ranchero that had a one-piece DS. Nothing as dramatic as a pole vault happened. Since I was on an incline, doing about 60 MPH at the time, the first thing I noticed was the engine revs pegging out and that I was loosing speed pretty quickly. Simultaneously I hear a combination of banging and scraping noises underneath. I initially thought I'd run over something. The banging and scraping noises gradually decreased as I coasted to the curb all I could hear was something dragging.

Kinda scraped up the undercarriage and dinged the exhaust system but no serious damage, I even fitted a new u-joint and continued to use that DS!

oooo2stang

Reaction score
No complaints on my DSS other than the install instructions. It listed 12 bolts for the rear pinion, 6 for the flange to adapter and 6 for adapter to driveshaft. They all called for same torque spec, even though they were different sizes. I went against my gut and followed the provided instructions and snapped a bolt head off in the adapter.

They did send another set of bolts for free.

Average

Reaction score
Have a 1 piece shaft at home to throw on. You guys put some blue loctite on the driveshaft bolts?

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Have a 1 piece shaft at home to throw on. You guys put some blue loctite on the driveshaft bolts?

The Ford Performance instructions spec locktite on the driveshaft-to-transmission bolts as they are reused. The driveshaft-to-diff flange came with all new bolts, not threadlocker specified.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back