Anyone Modded a Convertible Automatic?

jarmll

Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of the car, but my wife loves it, so selling and buying a stick isn't truly an option, so if I have to drive it I would like to mod it a bit. Has anyone done any mods to a convertible GT with an automatic tranny? What was your experience and what do you recommend?

I was thinking about getting a tuner/4.10 gears kit from AM.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of the car, but my wife loves it, so selling and buying a stick isn't truly an option, so if I have to drive it I would like to mod it a bit. Has anyone done any mods to a convertible GT with an automatic tranny? What was your experience and what do you recommend?

What year is it ? My 2010 auto came with a 3.31 rear gear. 2nd gear in my 5r55 auto tranny is 14% lower than 2nd gear in the manual. My 3rd gear is 16.5% lower than 3rd gear in the manual. The last thing I need is a 3.73 or 4:10 rear gear. In 4th gear, both the auto + manual are 1:1 ratio.

On the manual, you would require a 3.73 gear to be the same as the 2nd gear in the auto. And a 3.90 gear in the manual to be the same as the 3rd gear in the auto. Leave the oem rear gear alone. A tune on a NA 4.6 is not going to buy you very much, a few hp at most. Bama tunes from AM won't buy you anything...but grief. Being an automatic, any tune will be more complicated with the auto portion of the tune. If they get that wrong, you will end up with more grief.

You start doing a tune + rear gear swap, you will be into it for a ton of $$..with nothing to show for it. Leave it stock.

Last edited:

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm just a V6'er so I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I can't speak for changing out the rear end gear, but I have to disagree with Pentalab about the tune. While he is right about the hp gain not being much to write home about, the 5R55S automatic we have does benefit form a hand held tuner. If you get one that is specific to your model and year, they already come with preset tunes, and the tranny performance increase on noticeable. You'll see sharper shifting, it'll stay in gear longer when you do a wide open throttle take offs; if you ever do that. And if you're the type the likes to do manual shifting for gears 1 through 4, you'll be able to go up and down the gears without that " hey dickhead, that hurt's" noise from the transmission.

Don't spend too much money on one though. $400 new is a lot when they can be found on ebay for $50 to $100 unlocked. And if you do decide to change out the rear end gear, you'll need that tuner to recalibrate the car's computer for the increase in wheel revolutions.

jarmll

Reaction score
I'm just a V6'er so I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I can't speak for changing out the rear end gear, but I have to disagree with Pentalab about the tune. While he is right about the hp gain not being much to write home about, the 5R55S automatic we have does benefit form a hand held tuner. If you get one that is specific to your model and year, they already come with preset tunes, and the tranny performance increase on noticeable. You'll see sharper shifting, it'll stay in gear longer when you do a wide open throttle take offs; if you ever do that. And if you're the type the likes to do manual shifting for gears 1 through 4, you'll be able to go up and down the gears without that " hey dickhead, that hurt's" noise from the transmission.

Don't spend too much money on one though. $400 new is a lot when they can be found on ebay for $50 to $100 unlocked. And if you do decide to change out the rear end gear, you'll need that tuner to recalibrate the car's computer for the increase in wheel revolutions.

I don't mind you chiming in at all, intact I think your post was the only productive post to this point. I was thinking about getting one from eBay or even CraigsList. I have seen them from $50-$100 on those sites. I know a guy that installs slightly used gears for $200 installed. I want the tuner for the correcting capabilities with the gears and with CAI and exhaust.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FFS?... :thud:

Moved

Modded a vert to a mid 11s car no reason not too

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I put a Lund tune in the wife's basically stock 06. It has Stingers and a no tune K&N intake. It won't set the street on fire, but the car is more peppy. She hated when I put it back to stock for smog.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Find a used vortech or M90 kit for peanuts. A cat back would also be great. This way you leave the rest of the car alone. I bet you could supercharge the vehicle for under $3000.

There's more to cars than a big HP #, my car went from pretty good around town to a ton of fun because with the blower you just feel like you have twice as many cubic inches. With the auto it would be even better since you'd get into the converter (torque multiplication) off the line and be into boost at the same time.

Start with an unlocked tuner, or get a new SCT X4, and most importantly get a tune from Lito. I think he does autos. He must! Message him on here.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I did suspension and cosmetic mods to my former 07 GT/CS automatic 'vert. Nothing wrong with modding what you got.

I've even seen modded 'verts on the road course, and they can do just fine with some chassis stiffening, although I know that's not you end goal, I'm just sayin'...

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score

If it's an 11 or newer with a Coyote, an aftermarket stall converter will make it much funner to drive. Can't speak for the 3v cars. If it is a 6R80 car, leave the stock gears in it, those transmissions have a super low 1st gear (4.17:1) and am currently thinking of replacing my 3.15's with 2.73's. But if you did a gear swap to 3.55's or 3.73's I think your gains would be minimal at best, and the highway cruising never gets better with deeper gears. Again, I'm speaking for 11 and newer auto cars.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back