New England Chit Chat

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I was thinking in the $1000-$1200 range for a set.

Dead wrong

Chatted with Comp today and a custom grind was like $757 or something, stupid cheap for getting exactly what you want.

So I may go this route come spring time...

Sorry Steve!

Not bad! Still like my hot rods though :clap:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
For that price I can make a nice street/strip cam with a wide LSA for the future boost!

I don't know nearly enough about cams to know all the details of duration, etc... but I like the ones that make funny noises. :boobies:

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
You sure that isnt the price to re grind a given cam? sounds too cheap. Was that each maybe?

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
Nope that's for the set, ground from billet. Chatted with a tech from Comp today and asked. If you look on their website they actually say that they make the custom cams for not much more than their off-the-shelf offerings.

My mind is set!

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Nope that's for the set, ground from billet. Chatted with a tech from Comp today and asked. If you look on their website they actually say that they make the custom cams for not much more than their off-the-shelf offerings.

My mind is set!

Sweet sig!

If your thing comes out sweet and works awesome with boost, I might have to reconsider the hot rods when boost comes along....although I probably wont really care since the hot rods will still make power either way.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
I want them to have a nice lope, and have a wide LSA for boost. My mid level of knowledge of cams says that this will be difficult, as the lope comes from the valve overlap. The larger the LSA, the less overlap there will be. This makes sense for boosted applications because you dont want there to be a large overlap and bleed boost out the exhaust valve. I know for an N/A setup its not ideal, but it will be when the twin screw comes.

I know BBR stage 1's use a 480 lift, so I may go with a 475-ish lift and make use of the headers on the exhaust side.

And yes, you made my sig. The "grind wisely my friend" just made me lol. I just pictured myself with a billet core grinding away, hoping not to dissapoint Billy.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I want them to have a nice lope, and have a wide LSA for boost. My mid level of knowledge of cams says that this will be difficult, as the lope comes from the valve overlap. The larger the LSA, the less overlap there will be. This makes sense for boosted applications because you dont want there to be a large overlap and bleed boost out the exhaust valve. I know for an N/A setup its not ideal, but it will be when the twin screw comes.

I know BBR stage 1's use a 480 lift, so I may go with a 475-ish lift and make use of the headers on the exhaust side.

And yes, you made my sig. The "grind wisely my friend" just made me lol. I just pictured myself with a billet core grinding away, hoping not to dissapoint Billy.
:roflmao:

I hear you on the LSA. There's some debate as to what makes it lope but from what I understand, it's something called reversion, where the combustion is incomplete and the upstroke of the piston pushes some exhaust gases back up into the intake tract because the intake valve is open while the exhaust is as well (overlap).

My take on the bleeding boost because of that overlap is simple: just crank up the boost. If you'd make 10psi with a non-overlap cam and you get 8psi because of the overlap. Well, go with a 13psi pulley and get 10psi because of your overlap. Same difference :clap:

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of efficiancy, but I think they will come out pretty good. The guy I was talking to at Comp knew what he was talking about, so I'll ask him where the lope comes from.

In the cam tech thread, there is this "equation" that's like (((Intake duration + Exhaust Duration) / 4) - LSA) * 2. The higher the number the higher the lope. Here are a few of my calculations:

Stock: -26
Comp Stage II NSR: -2.5
Comp Stage III SPR: 24.5
BBR Stage 1: 2
BBR Stage 2: 18
Hotrods: 10.5
Big Muther Thumpers: 34

Mostly useless information, but the equation is interesting. I would of thought that the lift actually matters.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
True story!

Hope everybodys stockings are filled with LCA's/UCA's/CAMS/Whatever you can fit there.

And a giant box under the tree that says Whipple!

(The perfect Christmas :roflmao:)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back