JDM said I need new engine...I want 2nd opinion.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Rods are completely missing.

Last edited:

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rape artists! A couple of tubes of JB Weld and you're good to go.

I'm going to give Jim a call and yell at him for an obvious oversell.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL. Yeah, I think you're getting the shaft on this one.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So what are the details of what happened? Which power adder. What boost levels. What timing specs? What gas? How long had you been running it like that? Who tuned it? How many passes were on it? What were you doing when it let go?

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
OUCH! I've heard a replacement of the stock motor is like 6000. I think I'd be making a call to livernois sport... I'd also be interested in the details.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Stock internals, stock fuel pump, Saleen s/c, 450 rwhp, 39# injectors, full exhaust, 10 PSI, running 92 octane that day. Engine was s/c for about 10k miles. Drag raced once, road raced 3 times.

I was at Thunderbolt in NJ, accellerating at about 5k rpm in 4th gear right in front of pit row. Car was running great, no detonation or signs of trouble... them BOOM, oil, smoke, chunks of cast aluminum on the track. Piston domes are still fairly in tact as in the crank. The rods however are just about completely gone in several cylinders.

Some of the seasoned road racers there said blown engines in s/c Mustangs on road course is not a rare event. Internals, especially rods are known to give way. Another issue with road racing is oiling. I'll pobably be upgrading oil pump and pickup before next season.

JDM stroker is already in as well as fuel system. Jim's got me at a conservative 450 rwhp on the new stroker mostly because the new engine has the '08 heads and smaller plugs.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
damn... that sucks dude. but at least your on the way to recovery!!

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The question still remains...What caused this? There has to be a reason why this happened...

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
everytime i see a stock 4.6 come apart its up in a high gear (4th or 5th) at a high rpm and high MPH......stock rods just dont like that i guess haha

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Think stock fuel system could have contributed to this?
Being he was in higher RPM range, quite a bit on a road course.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
The question still remains...What caused this? There has to be a reason why this happened...

Ultimately it's hard to say. I usually run Shell or Sunoco 93 but that morning I got a diferrent brand of gas near the track. If fuel or timing was the issue, I think I should have heard some detonation first and timing should have pulled back some but that didn't happen. Excesive heat should have shown more piston damage. The cylinder walls are also clean and show no wear.

I'm told drag racing and road racing put different stresses on and engine due to g forces and decelleration in gear and for 20 minute intervalls. This may magnify certain weaknesses (like rods). While some guys get 500+ hp on stock internalls, we've seen some go at less than 450. I'm no expert but based on what I can see it just looks like the rods failed based on their lack of strength.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
I think you should just weld up the wholes, and the rest will buff out!!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::beerdrink::beerdrink:

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me, why did we ever want to change that. Those are just ventilation holes to let heat escape...DUH

Lol good pics Paul, seeing it in person was pretty scary too.

Detonation at its finest!

JimIII

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good to me, why did we ever want to change that. Those are just ventilation holes to let heat escape...DUH

Lol good pics Paul, seeing it in person was pretty scary too.

Detonation at its finest!

JimIII

That never would have happened in a Chevy motor!

Jim, you mention detonation. Do you think that's what caused this? Detonation would increase internal temps and ususally causes piston failure but I really didn't see any if that.

joe@jdm

Official Vendor
Reaction score
i use one of the chunks of metal we found in the front end as a paperweight

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Question still remains as to who's tune it was and what were the specs of the tune (timing, etc.). Even more interested now that Jim has chimed in and said the magic word (detonation).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back