Getting 750 RWHP to the ground with a little help from BMR

Synister500

Reaction score
Going to start a little build thread on my quest to get my GT500 down the strip and break 9.99 with a complete street car by the GT500/Terminator Shootout at the NMRA finals in Oct here in Bowling Green, KY. I attempted it the first year with what I thought was some good help from some boys down in Fl but now I realize they were a joke and I was pushed off the line when the car went into limp mode anytime I tried to launch. Then last year I just didn't get into it. This year I have set out with a goal an that is getting this big girl to break 9.99. By golly if Beef can do it so can I lol. A little back ground on my car befor this year. It's a 2011 GT500 with the SVTPP. All stock when I got it. The 1st round of mods was a full exhaust that included 1 7/8 kooks headers with 3" O/R X and custom 3" stainless exhaust from the X to borla stingers. The exhaust is all v-banded in. Also included JLT 127mm, 2.6 on stock SC, afco dual fan HE, 170* thermostat, and larger IC and overflow tanks and 72lb injectors, and both JLT oil seperators. With a kurgan tune car made 556rwhp. The 2nd round included a whipple 2.9 crusher intake L&M 72 mm TB, 6 different BBR tunes that were never right (finally gave up). Then last year I just wasn't into the shootout so I sat out and decided to have a fun street car. Well as fate would have it I meet Kelly from BMR during last year at NMRA. After a few beers and getting introduced to Justin Burcham I got the bug to give it another go. Early on an order from BMR that included billet lower control arms
suve2aza.jpg
, LCA relocation brackets upper control arm, panhard bar, DS loop, and a 1 piece DS. Then came winter time and the car got garaged till just a few weeks ago. Here in the last few weeks I've installed a IW 15% lower and thump RRR tensioner.
aru3a9er.jpg

I was not fond of grinding the front housing but I took my time and its not all that bad:
6ubequze.jpg

Next install to come is N2MB WOT BOX and dual comp BAP (purchased from a forum member) I do about 95% of all the work on my own car but I'm not the best at electrical soldering so a buddy that's an electrical engineer working woth robotics is helping with the elec. stuff, he also does wiring setups for x275 race camps:
huvyza2e.jpg

u7e3e9e6.jpg

Also putting some Hawk HPS brake pads.
e5yqysyv.jpg

I already had sportline springs because I wasn't interested in tracking the car when I purchased them. With my new plans and with BMR support and help from Kelly and Jason (aka Seer) I went went on a limb and purchased the BMR lowering springs to help transfer weight. BMR does not offer a gt500 spring at this time (what I've been told) due to the spring being harsh and very stiff due to excess weight on the nose. BMR is the best all around for street/strip, as far as I'm concerned, for mustang and I am building it for double duty. After being on the sportlines I admit that the rid was very harsh vs stock. Jason used the GT springs on his car so I bit the bullet and went for it. All I can say is WOW. These things are awesome at transferring weight and ride damn near stock. The progressive rate is awesome and the looks are well you judge for yourself. You will not find a better lowered ride spring that can perform both on and off the track. This thing handles like a dream and has an amazing stance, these are my favorite pics so far.
gade2u5a.jpg

dysaseqy.jpg

Next was the MGW. There was a 4wk delay with getting this.
e7udusym.jpg

5enu3a4y.jpg
upuhu6am.jpg

Also ordered the radiator support with sway bar hook up and cassis brace, and soon to come is their k-member
ehevutuj.jpg
chassis is back order. I'm hoping this pulls some weight off the nose of Of the car:
dypy5yvu.jpg

I had been running the whipple 3.0 pulley and seeing about 14-15 psi after adding the 15% lower I installed the 3.25 upper for the street (especially till after the tune). The car will be going to Lee Blankenship's on May 30th for tuning the street tune on 93* and the 3.25 pulley and a race tune on the 3.0 pulley and shell urt. I also had the Metco idler laying around from when I had the 2.6 pulley on the stock SC. I was curious to see if it would work with the 15% to add belt wrap. Sure enough it did and this adds a lot of belt wrap on the SC pulley. For those of you interested in doing this it is a combination of the 15% (I'm sure the 10% will wot as well) the thump RRR tensioner (the pulley from thump is a 60mm vs stock 93mm) the gates geen extended belt and the Metco idler. The idler is in the farthest adjustment slot so if I want to get crazy after upgrading the internals and add smaller pulleys I have room to go down 2 more notches and maintain the tension and prevent any belt slip.
hedu9y4a.jpg

After this last round off mods are installed and tuned Ill be looking to get my stock rear wheels widened to 11"'s and install nitto 315 NT-05R's. I believe I've got all the power I need to reach my goal of 9.99 and the key is going to be getting the suspension dialed in. That why I think BMR is the key to meeting my goal. I can't tell you how helpful Kelly (from BMR) is. I have a good friend that purchased the BMR springs for his 13' 5.0. He instant had a lot of noise in his front end. One of his strut caps fell apart during install. Neither of us knew that ford now list GT mounts as a 1 time use (WTF ford). He contacted Kelly yesterday and is taking his advice to go with Strang struts and GT500 mounts) here is the way his turned out.
nasutyqy.jpg

Guys I know that we have a lot of suspension options available to us. But, I believe BMR products are the best and their customer service is one of the best in the industry. They design their own products and race their own products, and as we all know they are often imitated but never duplicated. I plan to keep this updated as parts are installed including more detailed pics and descriptions as things progress through my quest for 9.99 or faster by a common street/strip car. I also have to give a huge thanks to the guy at Lethal Performance. Unless I ordered a product directly from a manufacture such as JLT and BMR, 95% of everything I've purchased has come directly from them. Again, customer service and fast freaky shipping is why. So here we go .....

BJ

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome BJ!

I can't wait to see your results. I enjoy assisting you a-long the way too sir.

Thank you for the compliments, I really appreciate them. Hope to have some more beers at BG this year.

Boozshey

Reaction score
I'm not one to listen to internet jargan, but running a 15%, big blower and a 2 step, if I recall has caused a lot of failed cranks...

But can't wait to hear your results. Gonna be beast.

Synister500

Reaction score
I'm not one to listen to internet jargan, but running a 15%, big blower and a 2 step, if I recall has caused a lot of failed cranks...

But can't wait to hear your results. Gonna be beast.

I'll only be using the no lift shift function at this. The N2MB has a lot of features that I may use at a later date.

Quade

Old Man
Reaction score
Looking good BJ! Sounds like you got a solid plan buddy. I'm running a 10% OD lower and a 3" (smallest) pulley on a 3.6KB with about 250 launches on this setup. It's only a single keyed crank also. Just dry fit the lower when you install it and you'll be good to go. I'll be subbing for updates and looking fwd to BG this year.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the results! +1 for Kelly and BMR, he helped me tremendously with my factory strut mount issue also and as a BMR customer I'll never forget what great customer service he provides. :)

Synister500

Reaction score
UPS says chassis brace will be here tomorrow and K-member on Tuesday. Got a lot of things to get installed this week. MGW, all radiator support, chassis brace, and k. Then next week BAP and WOT. Does anyone have any experience with running renegade fuel? Have a buddy who can get me pro 109 its unleaded but oxygenated and I know nothing about it.

Synister500

Reaction score
Any plans to test it out before the BG event? Car is beautiful!

Oh absolutely. I'll be testing and possibly playing with the WOT box setting for the 2 step. I just won't be hitting the track until after the tuning session may 30th.

Synister500

Reaction score
After the SC failure, I'm finally getting to this stuff today.

MGW install....
3ymebu5u.jpg

All of this....
pubunype.jpg

Going on this...
6yryrasy.jpg

Lets do work...
y4y2uby2.jpg

uhame7a5.jpg

Synister500

Reaction score
The pulley bolts sheared off sending the pulley dancing around the engine bay. The bolts had to be machined out. Along with new belts, new pulleys, new bolts ect ect, I had to miss a tuning session I had waited 8 wks for.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
crap ... sry to hear man, hope you get it worked out soon and have that beast dyno tunned!

If you don't want to wait that long, pm Lito, he can help you out for sure !

Cal26Stang

forum member
Reaction score
The pulley bolts sheared off sending the pulley dancing around the engine bay. The bolts had to be machined out. Along with new belts, new pulleys, new bolts ect ect, I had to miss a tuning session I had waited 8 wks for.

Man that sucks! I was so excited after reading your plans, I can't wait to see your turn out.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back