KABOOM! Now off to Brenspeed for a B326 stroker!

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Here's for you carnage loving sicko's entertainment LOL! Well after two years on the stock block (knowing I was on borrowed time) you can add me to the books of those who have snapped a couple stock rods. Sure was a sick feeling when it happened but at least I was close to home. Made a nice pull from one traffic light hammer down hard. Pulled hard and sweet just like it has for two years. Next light was very moderate acceleration, put it in 3rd, started to slowly lower the throttle to the floor loading up the motor and around 3600 rpm it sounded like you lost 6 out of 8 cylinders all the sudden, then a shuttering, then a very low frequency BOOM! Then came a HUGE plume of blue smoke behind me then the sickening sound of metal flying like hail hitting a tin roof. Shut off immediately and got pulled over. I knew what happened especially after I noticed oil gushing out on the ground. Luckily this happened just a couple miles from home and I managed to get a roll back to get me fairly quickly. Got her up on stands at the house and of course no surprise to find a hole the size of my fist below #8, a smaller hole around #6 and a split block along the pan rail on the passenger side. Pulled the valve covers and absolutely no metal of any kind make it up to the heads. Oil is just a clean as can be. I did not have any metal in the SC or manifold. No spark plugs were damaged either. I did not pull the heads though. Looking though the intake ports all the valves seem to not have sustained any damage. Lost sleep for a couple nights agonizing over what choice I needed to make to get going again. I had thought about getting another complete stock 4.6 off Ebay with 17k miles but I'm going to keep this car a long time so I don't want to go through this again. I finally decided after all I've done to my car it deserved the B326 which will allow me to grow up to 1000HP should I decide to which is way more than enough for streetability. For right now to keep costs down I'm going to hold on to my M90 kit that is only two years old. I should see 500ish at the tire with this motor and my mods including Snow Meth. In the future I'm sure I'll get bored and upgrade to another more powerful F/I system. It sure will be comforting to know though that I will already have a bottom end to handle virtually anything I throw at it for a non tracked street convertible.

To save some cash with Brenspeed i got disassembly down to the trans to engine bolts and the two motor mount bolts and she's out. Got a transport company pickin her up Thursday morning for delivery at Brenspeed Thursday afternoon. I'd love to do this job myself but I just don't have the time anymore nor the space. I'm going to be eating beans and rice until December to pay for this but it will be worth it!

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Whoo! Glad your so upitty about it!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while Moonwalking

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I wondered how this would look after getting your PM. Sounds like you have a good plan for the replacement, along with lots of runway for future upgrades!

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
damn bad luck, what kind of numbers were you putting down when this happened?

440 rwhp range or so. I new it would break eventually as it's been well documented that even with good tunes they were going at 400 rwhp.

Whoo! Glad your so upitty about it!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while Moonwalking

Well I have no reason to whine. I've been wrenching for a long time and knew this was inevitable on the stock block. That little voice kept telling me to forge it but I ignored it. So here ya have it. Was hoping it was going to last a little longer. Just glad it didn't happen 200 miles away on a nice back roads trip to visit my family.

I wondered how this would look after getting your PM. Sounds like you have a good plan for the replacement, along with lots of runway for future upgrades!

Yeah Doug I figured I'd go with a new Exedy clutch after this. Part of the cost of this build is a new Exedy Mach 500 and 8 bolt flywheel.

Best part of this whole deal is the way my wife is supporting me. This happened last Wednesday. Sunday I'm out cutting the grass and she went grocery shopping. I come in to take a break and on my workbench in the garage is a six pack of mix and match custom brews and a Hallmark card that says..."Duct tape can't fix everything"! Knowing I have her support in this I think is the best part!

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Thats pretty weak it went at only 400.

GL with the upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You didn't leave any doubt, that's for sure.
It won't even make a decent coffee table anymore.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
-1 for my reading comprehension.

Still lame it let go at 440.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the supportive comments. This really isn't a "poor me" thread or a speculation to why it happened thread. I really wanted to post this because there really is not a ton of data out there on the B326 especially with an M90. Not like I expect anyone to care about an M90 but at least I can contribute my experience towards the build of the B326 and it's reliability and power. It will be interesting to see what kind of power I will be making. Hell....I just want a reliable car to drive for right now. I will turn up the screw next year sometime. Brent has done several of these with the TVS 2.3 L but never with an M90 with or without meth injection so he is curious as well. With the 2.3 he's getting 650 rwhp and damn...thats enough for street.

Last edited:

RichardSATX

Roush On!
Reaction score
If you are gonna break it, do it right! Nice job dude lol

In all seriousness, I'm doing 609 to the rear wheels with a stock coyote long block. I hope when I pop mine it is as massive as yours. That way I can justify all forged to my wife.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
^

Hopefully when it goes your lucky and dont need headwork or a rebuild on the blower.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back