AC doors clicking

dustland

Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions for changing out the part that controls where the air is blowing from the AC. Mine has started clicking when I go from max air to feet or dash vents. I have read that the whole dash has to be removed or you can gain access from the glove box but no real instructions.

G.T

Reaction score
you can access it from behind the glovebox
open the glovebox, squeeze the top sides in gently, and it should drop down further giving you access to the evaporator core.

although the actuator motor is held down by 3 screws, this isn't a 5 minute job as it's REALLY tight in there

dustland

Reaction score
Thanks I will try it, when I got the car used it had glass in the vent under the windshield so maybe that is all that is hanging up the door, not the moter

BlueSoulStang

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same issue here. I had to take my car in to the dealer. They told me that if it was one of the vent actuators in the front, that it wouldn't take that long. IF it happened to be one in the rear of the dash, then they had to take the whole dash off. In either case, they asked me to drop the car off for the entire day. Dropped it off around 8am and picked back up around Noon-ish. Good luck!

dustland

Reaction score
Was your car still under warranty? I am out of warranty now, and I have heard it is expensive so I am trying to do it myself. It seems like it is coming from the front one and sounds real loud with the glove box out of the way. The whole motor twists about a quarter inch when the vent closes.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions for changing out the part that controls where the air is blowing from the AC. Mine has started clicking when I go from max air to feet or dash vents. I have read that the whole dash has to be removed or you can gain access from the glove box but no real instructions.

What year car?

BlueSoulStang

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine was under warranty. You should at least try and take it to the dealership to get an estimate or call them and ask.

I think you're right about the warranty, though. I believe it is 3 years/36,000 miles for that kind of stuff and 5 years/60,000 for drivetrain.

But just ask.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back