VIR Lap Times

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
What's a respectable lap time for an intermediate driver in a 5.0 S197 on the full course?

Mods are konis, steeda sports, whiteline sways, relo brackefs and steeda x11 & bumpsteer kit. Still on the brembo package wheels / tires...

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
which course layout? they have a few....(I know most run the larger full course)

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
With similar mods on Pzeros 255/285 I ran 2:33.xx down to 2:24.xx last year, first time out with a good instructor. This year same car with the FRPP Boss 302 R steering rack and Pirelli slicks was running 2:24.xx down to 2:20.19 best lap. The car has much more in it than the driver my turn in at 3, 4, 5 and 5a really needs work. Have fun and drive within your limits. VIR is a big boy track, at Superfest we had 5 or 6 offs, 1 was serious involving a Vette.
Steve

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks- my PB is 2:32, but hoping that I can get into the 2:20's next weekend. I think my main problem is lifting throttle before I even get close to the brake markers at front/back straights.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
VIR is a cool track! Turn 10 and 11 was always a favorite. you could fly thru 10 and get her sideways going into 11 getting it shut down! I would have to check my crap at home but if i remember correctly my fastest lap ever was 1:38-1:40 or something around their. Well off AMA times but good enough for a plaque.:thumb:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
2:13 In my Mustang. Full Griggs and s/c at about 450 rwhp. Car was capable of sub 2:10's.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Gmitch- that is crazy fast on a bike,

350- 1:30's on full course? Are you driving the muscle milk car? Hahaha (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120914/alms/120919880)

Mr Griggs- wow, nice laps! I am going to be watching that video a lot this week, thanks! You are killing me in speed on front straight, entering esses, and hog pen. I did get better with hog pen for THSCC, but we were only running north course so how much time that shaves remains to be seen. What tires were you running?

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Gmitch- that is crazy fast on a bike,

350- 1:30's on full course? Are you driving the muscle milk car? Hahaha (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120914/alms/120919880)

Mr Griggs- wow, nice laps! I am going to be watching that video a lot this week, thanks! You are killing me in speed on front straight, entering esses, and hog pen. I did get better with hog pen for THSCC, but we were only running north course so how much time that shaves remains to be seen. What tires were you running?

HAHA! No it was a 2000 Yamaha R71 with a Graves kitted engine, Traxxion Dynamics forks and Penske rear shock done by Raceworx, 16.5s with Dunlop 205/75-420 rear and 135/65-420 front with Brembo Mono blocks. It was running 41mm Flats and had a power band like crazy! At 9g it felt like a semi rear ended you when it took off. You had to make a conscious effort to hold on. That bike taught me how to rear wheel steer. That bike was the definition of ludacris fast! The only thing that held that bike back from winning AMA races was me! :beer:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
VIR is a cool track! Turn 10 and 11 was always a favorite. you could fly thru 10 and get her sideways going into 11 getting it shut down! I would have to check my crap at home but if i remember correctly my fastest lap ever was 1:38-1:40 or something around their. Well off AMA times but good enough for a plaque.:thumb:

HAHA! No it was a 2000 Yamaha R71 with a Graves kitted engine, Traxxion Dynamics forks and Penske rear shock done by Raceworx, 16.5s with Dunlop 205/75-420 rear and 135/65-420 front with Brembo Mono blocks. It was running 41mm Flats and had a power band like crazy! At 9g it felt like a semi rear ended you when it took off. You had to make a conscious effort to hold on. That bike taught me how to rear wheel steer. That bike was the definition of ludacris fast! The only thing that held that bike back from winning AMA races was me! :beer:

350- You’re talking about the North Course (AMA Course). Rossi couldn’t go arround the full course in less than a 1:50 on MotoGP bike.

Lap record for the North Course is a 1:23.986. Done by Matt Mladin in 2005.

You're going to have to step it up about 10sec/ lap to come play with us (used to be at least) fast WERA guys.:popcorneat::naughty1:

The full course lap record is a 1:36.310 and held by one of these. A motorcycle can't run in the same galaxy.

Benetton-B194-1994-01.jpg

Last edited:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score

315 Hoosiers R6, 8-10 heat cycles.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
350- You’re talking about the North Course (AMA Course). Rossi couldn’t go arround the full course in less than a 1:50 on MotoGP bike.

Lap record for the North Course is a 1:23.986. Done by Matt Mladin in 2005.

You're going to have to step it up about 10sec/ lap to come play with us (used to be at least) fast WERA guys.:popcorneat::naughty1:

The full course lap record is a 1:36.310 and held by one of these. A motorcycle can't run in the same galaxy.

Benetton-B194-1994-01.jpg

Like I said I was not as fast as the bike was. I didn't race their with the AMA

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
Thanks- my PB is 2:32, but hoping that I can get into the 2:20's next weekend. I think my main problem is lifting throttle before I even get close to the brake markers at front/back straights.

Got any video? There's a lot more speed to find at VIR in places to get on the throttle sooner/harder, I've found.

Moochman4life

Painters tape, yo.
Reaction score
Apex, if it's this weekend coming up, I'll see ya out there...same run group. I know you want lap times, but keep an eye out for the weather: calls for rain, but keeps changing.

Last edited:

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
Grip- here's my PR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBskb1JDMlw

Mootchman- what color GT?

Some safe suggestions:

Feed power in through 2

Power sooner through the lower esses

You can carry more speed than you think through the climbing esses. Stay in the gas for stability and make sure to eat as much of the first curbing on the right as possible.

Get on the power sooner out of the oak tree, apex later.

Here's a clip in my 07 GT. Mods are in the video description. Three laps at 2.21.XXX, with a best of 2.21.414

Hope it helps, and sorry for the poor quality!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SQAoO4Gbj4

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back