VIR Lap Times

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Grip- thanks for the advice. I'll check out your video for inspiration!

Mootchman- black on black. I'll look for you in the paddock. Not entirely sure that I'll be there, though- having some weird noise from one of the strut mounts. It all hinges on Cary Performance Chassis at this point...

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
My best timed laps are in the low 2.12's. I ran some laps later behind a Vette that the driver told me were 2.10 laps. Operator error caused those laps not to be recorded due to the GoPro not being turned on. The car has a lot of power, but is heavy with the iron block. I lose a lot of time in 1,4,5 and Oak Tree as the car pushes bad there. I can rotate it some with the throttle, but there's only so much my skills can do.

The car has the full GRIGGS rear end, and the adj Koni's, camber plates and GRIGGS front sway bar. Roll bar, belts and a Sparco seat as well.

When I go over the scales at VIR with me in it, it says 4200!!!

The upper esses and turn 10 is my favorite section of track anywhere.

I have retired this car to being a street terror and am building a AI car.

Bill

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
I had about 3/4 tank of fuel. It has the 6 piston BAER brakes on all 4 corners. They look good, but add weight. Roll bar also adds weight. I'm also built more like a football player than F1 driver(lol). It all adds up.

With the power the car makes and the weight, it eats pads and rotors.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
2:19 in my 4.6L Mustang GT (325 rwhp) last year. I now have a JDM 5.0L (390 rwhp) so we'll see this November.

Last edited:

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Wow. That's hauling- nice vids too. Your line around 3 is really different than I've seen before, but obviously it works! I may try that next month. Which events are you going to this fall?

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Wow. That's hauling- nice vids too. Your line around 3 is really different than I've seen before, but obviously it works! I may try that next month. Which events are you going to this fall?

My line on Turn #3 is the only time I run a corner like that because it leads to a short straight and 90 degree turn, so you have to factor in the braking zone.

I run the same line with the Corvette and I'm able to reel cars in up to 2 sometimes 3 car lengths there. It's funny because I've received similar comments.

Ordinarily, that line in Turn #3 would lead to a lower top speed coming onto a straight (hogs pen to front straight), but it seems to work in NASCAR bend.

However, you definitely need to be on top of the car if you try it because track out will come up very fast. I plan to be at VIR in November with TrackDaze.

Last edited:

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
My line on Turn #3 is the only time I run a corner like that because it leads to a short straight and 90 degree turn, so you have to factor in the braking zone.

I run the same line with the Corvette and I'm able to reel cars in up to 2 sometimes 3 car lengths there. It's funny because I've received similar comments.

Ordinarily, that line in Turn #3 would lead to a lower top speed coming onto a straight (hogs pen to front straight), but it seems to work in NASCAR bend.

However, you definitely need to be on top of the car if you try it because track out will come up very fast. I plan to be at VIR in November with TrackDaze.

Your line looks a lot like mine. What tires are you on?

I'm gonna have to try and make November with TrackDaze, also. I'd love to run with ya!

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Your line looks a lot like mine. What tires are you on?

I'm gonna have to try and make November with TrackDaze, also. I'd love to run with ya!

Sounds like fun! Hope to see you in November for one day on the full course and one day on the 4.2 mile grand course. I was running a set of Hoosier (Continental Series) scrubs I purchased from Bill (knownukes) in the video.

Last edited:

Moochman4life

Painters tape, yo.
Reaction score
Missed the 2:20's by a couple tenths of a second. Did get signed off to solo, though, which was cool. Met Mootchman- nice guy, crazy nice S197!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80PomlfRFC4

Hey man, thanks! Good to meet and run with both you and Art.

Don't know if Art told you, but I had to cut out of there Sunday morning. I seriously thought something was wrong with my car after the last run Saturday afternoon. She threw 13 codes sometime during the last run!...which, coincidentally, were my best runs of the day, haha....funny. Thanks to the help of this forum, I found out it was only a blown fuse 47....thank god. I'm pretty sure I know how it happened, but I can't prove it.

I haven't edited my vids yet, but I wound up running mid 2:20s (no data logging, only from point-to-point on my gopro) on my last run before the battery died on my camera, but I know I was faster than that by the end of the run. I managed to keep up with that grey termi cobra until they threw the checker. That termi was quick.

I'm looking for some redemption for my lost Sunday, though. I need another day out there!

Last edited:

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Glad it was something simple. Post up some videos when you have time. The Mustangs were well represented, although I probably brought the average times down a little. Will be back in Aug and Nov for Trackdaze, hope to see you back out there again!

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
I ended up taking 10 seconds off my lap times over the season; with a PB of 2:22.2. Mods during the year were 295/35R18 BFG G Force Rivals on 18x 10" D Force wheels, Watson racing bolt in roll cage and 6pt harnesses. Both helped, a lot. Ten days of track time probably did the most though...

I signed up for Enhanced Driver Training through Trackdaze and had Mike Skeen drive my car to set a baseline for me to work toward. What an amazing driver! He pulled a 2:12.6 out of her in the third lap, and honestly I think he was driving a conservatively! Was running Hawk HP plus and oem rotors so he was pretty easy on the braking zones and top speeds. After that experience I dropped two more seconds, had a lot more confidence in my car.

Here's Skeen's lap:

http://youtu.be/MWIpGHLjXJs

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I ended up taking 10 seconds off my lap times over the season; with a PB of 2:22.2. Mods during the year were 295/35R18 BFG G Force Rivals on 18x 10" D Force wheels, Watson racing bolt in roll cage and 6pt harnesses. Both helped, a lot. Ten days of track time probably did the most though...

I signed up for Enhanced Driver Training through Trackdaze and had Mike Skeen drive my car to set a baseline for me to work toward. What an amazing driver! He pulled a 2:12.6 out of her in the third lap, and honestly I think he was driving a conservatively! Was running Hawk HP plus and oem rotors so he was pretty easy on the braking zones and top speeds. After that experience I dropped two more seconds, had a lot more confidence in my car.

Here's Skeen's lap:

http://youtu.be/MWIpGHLjXJs

That is friggin' awesome! What a great experience you had with one of the best drivers in the business. The knowledge you gained is priceless.

Congratulations on your new PB. Mike Skeen ran a 2:12 with you in the car... holy crap!! See you next year at VIR. Mike

SD_Stang

Reaction score
Nice vid he was moving. I noticed he was peaking at 140 in area's of the track where based on your old video you were peaking around 130. I'm sure that helped setting a limit for you to testand when to brake at that speed etc.

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
My best timed laps are in the low 2.12's. I ran some laps later behind a Vette that the driver told me were 2.10 laps. Operator error caused those laps not to be recorded due to the GoPro not being turned on. The car has a lot of power, but is heavy with the iron block. I lose a lot of time in 1,4,5 and Oak Tree as the car pushes bad there. I can rotate it some with the throttle, but there's only so much my skills can do.

The car has the full GRIGGS rear end, and the adj Koni's, camber plates and GRIGGS front sway bar. Roll bar, belts and a Sparco seat as well.

When I go over the scales at VIR with me in it, it says 4200!!!

The upper esses and turn 10 is my favorite section of track anywhere.

I have retired this car to being a street terror and am building a AI car.

Bill

When you say full Griggs rear end do you mean Watts Link/ Torque Arm and Lower Control Arms?

SD_Stang

Reaction score
Full Griggs would normally be the front SLA as well as the Torque Arm/Watts LCA's Relocation brackets, front and rear coil overs with front and rear anti roll bars.
GR40 I believe is what I think when Full Griggs is mentioned, Super Street is most of the rear(with watts/panhard options) with some minor front updates, no SLA.

Last edited:

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
When you say full Griggs rear end do you mean Watts Link/ Torque Arm and Lower Control Arms?

Yes. Full GRIGGS on the rear only=Watts Link, Torque Arm and Lower a Control Arms. Couldn't afford the front SLA at the same time. Now saving the $ for my AI car under construction. For a hi hp car, I REALLY recommend it. It totally transformed my car. I run 295 R-6's and once they are hot, I get excellent bite coming out of slow corners.

Bill

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back