VIR Lap Times

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Bill, hope to see you at VIR or Summit Point next year! We didn't get any track time this year as I was sorting out my two cars and making the transition from VA to MD for my job, etc. Mike

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Have any of you guys improved at all since this thread? Just trying to get a gauge of where i should be. Thanks!

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Based on the recent changes to the paved surface at VIR, the old course lap times are OBE.

People are seeing 2 to 3 second faster lap times based on the changes in several turns, etc.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
I blew my HPDE budget on a slow ass chump car and got my son into .25 midget racing, so only did 3 events this year- on my last though was 2.19 with low 2.20's on average. Got bumped into the advanced group after becoming a harassment to the other intermediate drivers, lol. Felt like a superstar until I drove out there with Vipers and stock cars.

Not sure if I'll ever replicate the times Mike Skeen put down in my car, even if I cared. My goals have drifted now. Wheel to wheel racing definitely took things up a notch, even in a slow crap can.

I am so tapped out I went out and did parade laps a couple weeks ago. Was pretty fun, actually.

Next year I'm hoping to get into 2:15s, budget permitting of course.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Based on the recent changes to the paved surface at VIR, the old course lap times are OBE.

People are seeing 2 to 3 second faster lap times based on the changes in several turns, etc.

Yeh i was talking to a few of the racers and some say the picked up a bit and some say nothing, I guess it just depends on what line and car your driving.

I blew my HPDE budget on a slow ass chump car and got my son into .25 midget racing, so only did 3 events this year- on my last though was 2.19 with low 2.20's on average. Got bumped into the advanced group after becoming a harassment to the other intermediate drivers, lol. Felt like a superstar until I drove out there with Vipers and stock cars.

Not sure if I'll ever replicate the times Mike Skeen put down in my car, even if I cared. My goals have drifted now. Wheel to wheel racing definitely took things up a notch, even in a slow crap can.

I am so tapped out I went out and did parade laps a couple weeks ago. Was pretty fun, actually.

I hear that! I was actually considering doing some AI racing next season. With nationals at VIR this coming up year I am assuming the car count is going to be higher then usual. Of course I highly doubt i can be competitive with a 3V.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score

OBE ???

Way off topic, but have you had the chance to run at either of the NJMP courses yet? IIRC, HdG, MD is somewhere around Ripken Stadium, which I'm guessing might be just under a couple hours from NJMP.

Norm

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
I hear that! I was actually considering doing some AI racing next season. With nationals at VIR this coming up year I am assuming the car count is going to be higher then usual. Of course I highly doubt i can be competitive with a 3V.

I definitely can't afford that, but I'll come watch that, for sure!

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
Got down to a 2:12.90 this past Saturday. Running 305/305 Continental take offs, 450 RWHP 3.55 geared NA/CJ equipped 5.0 GT motor. No video of the fast run just data as the iPhone was out of memory. Have this video of a 2:13:37 lap though, had to stay out of the oil dry at Hog Pen or else maybe a few tenths less.
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsZ7HrmJd9I

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Got down to a 2:12.90 this past Saturday. Running 305/305 Continental take offs, 450 RWHP 3.55 geared NA/CJ equipped 5.0 GT motor. No video of the fast run just data as the iPhone was out of memory. Have this video of a 2:13:37 lap though, had to stay out of the oil dry at Hog Pen or else maybe a few tenths less.
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsZ7HrmJd9I

What all do you have for suspension? I ended up getting a handful of 2:07.2s about a month ago. This past weekend was plagued with electrical issues so i never got a chance to do much of anything. Looks like you guys where having a blast out there though!

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score

Well, I ended up getting into the 2:13's at my first HPDE for the year:

http://youtu.be/x9TX4omofwA

Was pretty excited when I saw the predicted lap time, hence the fist pumps. Yes, I know, bad idea going into 14...

I also finally beat the Car & Driver lighting laps times the next day on the Grand Course. Only took thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours, lol. Their writer/drivers are no joke.

I credit the improvement to chump car, which built my confidence, mostly.

604a68b7d500c4a4a43d4f3af28ed6e7.jpg

And that's it for the Mustang. Demodded and mulling over a pretty decent CarMax estimate. Over the winter I spent too much time on racingjunk.com and bought this old girl
2a25aa49d4ca439e7998f58181af47b9.jpg

86 Z51 with a 383 Stroker, was raced in ST2 by a guy in his 70's who took great care of it. Full cage, fire suppression, fuel cell and lexan front and back.

I'm adding a passenger seat, and will go through instructor school in the summer. Will do some HPDEs and eventually will get my NASA comp license and try some sprint races, although I'm still enjoying chump car / endurance racing. Daytona 14hr is in two weeks!

Sorry that's a lot of personal non tech info, but since I never made a build thread I figure I at least need to say "thanks" and "best of luck" to all the posters that have helped me learn and enjoy my S197 over the past three years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to see you leave the S197 crowd. Especially since I'm in High Point and was looking forward to meeting you and any other forum members at VIR sometime. I didn't make the THSCC first event this year since I'm motorless right now. Would have come up to watch, but a LAX tournament took my weekend over.

Best of luck with the Vette.

My PB's for the only configurations I've run at VIR are:

VIR Full - 2:21.21, and I plan to drop that into the teens soon
VIR North - 1:50.05

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I ended up getting into the 2:13's at my first HPDE for the year:

http://youtu.be/x9TX4omofwA

Was pretty excited when I saw the predicted lap time, hence the fist pumps. Yes, I know, bad idea going into 14...

I also finally beat the Car & Driver lighting laps times the next day on the Grand Course. Only took thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours, lol. Their writer/drivers are no joke.

I credit the improvement to chump car, which built my confidence, mostly.

604a68b7d500c4a4a43d4f3af28ed6e7.jpg

And that's it for the Mustang. Demodded and mulling over a pretty decent CarMax estimate. Over the winter I spent too much time on racingjunk.com and bought this old girl
2a25aa49d4ca439e7998f58181af47b9.jpg

86 Z51 with a 383 Stroker, was raced in ST2 by a guy in his 70's who took great care of it. Full cage, fire suppression, fuel cell and lexan front and back.

I'm adding a passenger seat, and will go through instructor school in the summer. Will do some HPDEs and eventually will get my NASA comp license and try some sprint races, although I'm still enjoying chump car / endurance racing. Daytona 14hr is in two weeks!

Sorry that's a lot of personal non tech info, but since I never made a build thread I figure I at least need to say "thanks" and "best of luck" to all the posters that have helped me learn and enjoy my S197 over the past three years!

Nice laps! You will find most of the time you want to pick up in the uphill esses and 10. The Vette looks like fun to, any time frame on when you might get your comp license?

I hate to see you leave the S197 crowd. Especially since I'm in High Point and was looking forward to meeting you and any other forum members at VIR sometime. I didn't make the THSCC first event this year since I'm motorless right now. Would have come up to watch, but a LAX tournament took my weekend over.

Best of luck with the Vette.

My PB's for the only configurations I've run at VIR are:

VIR Full - 2:21.21, and I plan to drop that into the teens soon
VIR North - 1:50.05

I really have to get down there this year. Nice laps.

Both of you should come to Superfest Apr 23 at VIR, Its a good group of guys and you will get a decent amount of track time.

https://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Nice laps! You will find most of the time you want to pick up in the uphill esses and 10. The Vette looks like fun to, any time frame on when you might get your comp license?

Both of you should come to Superfest Apr 23 at VIR, Its a good group of guys and you will get a decent amount of track time.

Hi Mike- I'm thinking of going for the comp license next year. Already signed up for four chumpcar races this year, plus a couple HPDEs. That's about all I'm allowed in the yearly budget! Hopefully once I can work in exchange for track time, and with no need for track insurance I'll be able to do more HPDE's. I was impressed with the SVT club last fall at NCCAR so I'm hoping to do more events with them.

Mark and Boone- no worries, there's always a good group of Mustangs at VIR events. I've met some great folks there. And certainly say hello if you see my old C4 out there. Still love the S197, I just couldn't afford to convert my 12 into a race car

Last edited:

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of you should come to Superfest Apr 23 at VIR

I'll be at VIR as soon as I get my car back from ProDyno. Motor comes back from the machinist tomorrow, and I'll start signing up for events as soon as I get it broken in and a few autoX sessions under my belt with the new motivation under the hood.

Nutter281

forum member
Reaction score
Absolutely no intent to thread jack here (respect to the OP :happythumbs: ) but is there already, or would it make sense to create an HPDE sticky for various tracks and times? I think anyone here that officially races knows pretty well where they stand in the rest of the world but would be cool to know how novices doing HPDEs compare against similar vehicles for a given track/orientation.

Austin

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score

I wish I could make it but I have a 1-day event on April 11 and another one in June. And I want to keep my wife.* :)

Best I've managed was a 2:23.XX in my 2007 GT/CS with 295 Conti DW, Bilsteins, Steeda Lowering springs, BMR panhard, T2R, 3.73, APR wing, and a custom Wilwood setup. I had Mike ride along to give pointers, and he didn't have much to add. :)

I'm hoping to shave 3-5 seconds off with the 2014, relatively unmodded, when I hit VIR in September with THSCC.

*She's put up with my buy/sell shenanigans of late so I probably owe her one.

snakbitn

Reaction score
2:08.6 in a legal NASA Spec Iron race car last year at the SVT club event and a 2:09.7 at NASA nationals last year.There's probably another second or so in it but still working on that.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are any members going to the THSCC event at VIR on Sept. 10 - 11? I will be in attendance.

Also, I'm looking for any Hokies that may want to go out Saturday night in Danville and watch the Bristol Bowl at 8:00pm.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Are any members going to the THSCC event at VIR on Sept. 10 - 11? I will be in attendance.

Also, I'm looking for any Hokies that may want to go out Saturday night in Danville and watch the Bristol Bowl at 8:00pm.

I am about 99% sure i will be there, What group are you running in?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back