My 'headfirst leap into the world of drifting' thread

Aureus

Reaction score
Hey everyone, fairly new here so this is going to be a quick intro. Got my 06 GT this past winter, traded a built Audi S4 for it. Not a ton done to it other than cams, tune, exhaust and some suspension work. I've always wanted to try drifting but I never had the appropriate car so I figured now that I had a RWD vehicle I'd give it a shot!

We have a local group here in New England called Drift Spot. Every year they hold a bunch of events and at the beginning of each season they have a drift 'clinic'. I did the clinic in April and had a BLAST! Immediately fell in love with the sport and now I'm going back for the second event this Saturday.

Here's a quick video from the clinic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJajpPxRqeM

2qvcsvk.jpg

I'll update as the season progresses and I get more footage!

Aureus

Reaction score
Yeah I'm following the New England thread. I figured I'd create an intro thread in the drift section for my upcoming videos and tech, seems kinda dead in this part of the forum...

braupe

Resident Diabetic...
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I am hoping to do the same down here in TX (I haven't been able too thanks to a broken foot for the last 10 weeks).

Good video. Looks like you have pretty decent car control.

c-ro

forum member
Reaction score
Cant wait to get back from this deployment so I can give my new set up a go not alot of drifters in west Texas area though

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
Nice! I'd love to learn how to drift. What kind of tires do the use to get no traction what so ever?

Aureus

Reaction score
Actually I think you want tires with a lot of traction.

It's a combination of both, and its more about consistency than anything else. During yesterdays event I went through 3 sets. First set were brand-new snow tires. I used those first because I knew they would blow off the fastest and offer the least amount of grip... I could get my spinouts out of the way and learn the new course. 2nd and 3rd sets were brand new all-season tires, can't remember the brand, maybe fuzions? But the point is they were both brand new and both sets were the same which makes it easier to tweak your line and angle on the course and really see the results.

Aureus

Reaction score
I have a bunch of videos from yesterday that I need to upload today. I'll post them here once I get them up.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
how much are you paying for tires? HellsBells is fairly local and has a set of 4 snow tires with stock rims for 600 i believe.

Aureus

Reaction score
I usually get my tires off the tire pile at work if I can find a set that are decent. If I can't find any at work I have a guy that sells used tires for like $20-$40 a piece and he always has some for sale. If I buy new I can get Fuzion UHPs for like $70 a piece brand new.

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
I'm pretty jealous! I went to my first drift event today and got to do some ride alongs with a spec drift Lexus sc400 and a grip racing miata. Both very sick cars. I kinda want to sell my 240 now and buy a wrecked V6 Stang to DD and drift on the occasional event.

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
I'm pretty jealous! I went to my first drift event today and got to do some ride alongs with a spec drift Lexus sc400 and a grip racing miata. Both very sick cars. I kinda want to sell my 240 now and buy a wrecked V6 Stang to DD and drift on the occasional event.

Aureus

Reaction score
I would keep the 240 and drift with that! Maybe swap an old 302 into it?

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
Funny you should say that.. I have a 302 sitting in the garage from my 86 silverado

Aureus

Reaction score
Also for anyone whos interested this is my tow rig setup, thats my buddys purpose build m3 drift car on the front.

ali1j8.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back