6R80 in my 05

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
It is official now. I have now driven a Quick 6 controlled 6R80 down the road. It was only under normal acceleration as we're making sure all is well... BUT it works as advertised !!

Something else for those looking at a 6R. The Circle D converters are a little noisy. I wasn't 100% sure of the noise so I googled it and yep they rattle a little at idle.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I've been driving for several days now. Ive got it close enough now I'm enjoying the trans finally. I still have work to do for my final tune, but that's not important right now. Karl and the guys have been very helpful and we've talked everyday since I've been up and running. We've had a few hiccups as expected, but we're moving in a positive direction. The biggest issue has been my converter (Circle D-Everything was written for a stock converter). The good news is Karl can see what's wrong from my datalogs and believes he already has a fix. If we can get that nailed down we should be able to push it a little more and get some mid throttle readings. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks Mike

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I've been driving for several days now. Ive got it close enough now I'm enjoying the trans finally. I still have work to do for my final tune, but that's not important right now. Karl and the guys have been very helpful and we've talked everyday since I've been up and running. We've had a few hiccups as expected, but we're moving in a positive direction. The biggest issue has been my converter (Circle D-Everything was written for a stock converter). The good news is Karl can see what's wrong from my datalogs and believes he already has a fix. If we can get that nailed down we should be able to push it a little more and get some mid throttle readings. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks Mike

Do you have a select shift button shifter, and if so, does it work?

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score

I do and it is wired up, however I haven't tried it yet. I've honestly only been concerned with getting everything up and running normally. Lot's of logging and emails, etc... Give me a day or so and I'll try to get that answered for you. I want to make sure it works before I mount it anyway just in case I need to make any wiring changes.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do and it is wired up, however I haven't tried it yet. I've honestly only been concerned with getting everything up and running normally. Lot's of logging and emails, etc... Give me a day or so and I'll try to get that answered for you. I want to make sure it works before I mount it anyway just in case I need to make any wiring changes.

Cool.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Guy's I think we finally got it (for those using aftermarket converters). Karl and I have worked all week on this. In the end there were two issues (which I thought was one). The issue has been the 1-2 shift. Late sometimes and sluggish.

The easy one first, TPS SIGNAL. It's the same signal I used with my Quick 4/4R70 setup. Evidentially it's not clean enough with this setup. Karl thinks it may be the ground. For now I just had to turn a DELAY setting off in the miscellaneous section. This immediately fixed the 1-2 shift timing. Which was good as this worried me the most.

The hard one which Karl had to work on was for the converter. He knew what was wrong right off and I'm not going to pretend to know what it was. I just know he said it was confusing the controller. He took a swing at it which gave it a double shift feel. After the next logs he sounded confident in what was needed. He sent me a updated file setting last night. I uploaded and tried it today and it's shifting the 1-2 like normal finally. I know Karl (and myself) were very happy to hear this. I've sent him logs to verify it ,but I think we're good. I'm not sure if others have the same updated software yet, but the setting for aftermarket converters will be in the miscellaneous section. You will need to select aftermarket for a higher stall converter.

Other than that I had to use the supplied capacitor for my speedo. For those that tune their own cars, the NUMBER OF HOLES setting for the OSS is 40.

Time to get back to work on the tune.....

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score

Sorry we spent all week working on the issues mentioned above.

I have not tried this going down the road yet, but I did try it in the garage and it shows to be working on the display. If I have time I might make a video showing this for you.

Thanks Mike

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry we spent all week working on the issues mentioned above.

I have not tried this going down the road yet, but I did try it in the garage and it shows to be working on the display. If I have time I might make a video showing this for you.

Thanks Mike

No worries, when you can, you can.

Fordbanger

forum member
Reaction score
Welp now 6r80's price will skyrocket. Should have gotten me one when they was dirt cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for al of the updates. There was a lot in this one.
-So the speedo and cruise works now that you installed the capacitor? Does the capacitor wire in parallel in the speed signal circuit? Are you using the speed signal generator on the Quick 6?
-Will you be leaving the TPS wire in the same circuit and leaving the delay off or is there a "fix" for this?
I can't thank you enough for getting this all sorted before I can drive my car!

Guy's I think we finally got it (for those using aftermarket converters). Karl and I have worked all week on this. In the end there were two issues (which I thought was one). The issue has been the 1-2 shift. Late sometimes and sluggish.

The easy one first, TPS SIGNAL. It's the same signal I used with my Quick 4/4R70 setup. Evidentially it's not clean enough with this setup. Karl thinks it may be the ground. For now I just had to turn a DELAY setting off in the miscellaneous section. This immediately fixed the 1-2 shift timing. Which was good as this worried me the most.

The hard one which Karl had to work on was for the converter. He knew what was wrong right off and I'm not going to pretend to know what it was. I just know he said it was confusing the controller. He took a swing at it which gave it a double shift feel. After the next logs he sounded confident in what was needed. He sent me a updated file setting last night. I uploaded and tried it today and it's shifting the 1-2 like normal finally. I know Karl (and myself) were very happy to hear this. I've sent him logs to verify it ,but I think we're good. I'm not sure if others have the same updated software yet, but the setting for aftermarket converters will be in the miscellaneous section. You will need to select aftermarket for a higher stall converter.

Other than that I had to use the supplied capacitor for my speedo. For those that tune their own cars, the NUMBER OF HOLES setting for the OSS is 40.

Time to get back to work on the tune.....

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for al of the updates. There was a lot in this one.
-So the speedo and cruise works now that you installed the capacitor? Does the capacitor wire in parallel in the speed signal circuit? Are you using the speed signal generator on the Quick 6?
-Will you be leaving the TPS wire in the same circuit and leaving the delay off or is there a "fix" for this?
I can't thank you enough for getting this all sorted before I can drive my car!

The speedo works and is accurate (GPS verified). I do not have cruise(lost it years ago), but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. The capacitor is wired in between the speedo out wire and OSS signal wire to the PCM. My car has a 2 wire OSS sensor so the ground wire was grounded to the Controller ground. You set the speedo out in the controller to replicate.

The TPS will hopefully be fixed when I ground it closer to the PCM. I grounded it at the body ground for the PCM (same ground I used with the Quick). He asked me to move it to the harness right at the PCM connector. If that works I may turn that delay back on. Honestly I don't need it on, but If I can get a cleaner signal it would be nice. Here's an example of what it was doing. If I'm at a constant throttle no movement, the voltage would go up and down like a hacksaw blade, but only like 1.81-1.79-1.81-1.79 etc... It saw the 1.79 and assumed I was decelerating. This only happened on like a left turn where you might hold the throttle constant thru the light and then accelerate. It only affected the 1-2.

Karl sent me an email earlier and said everything looked good so I'll be trying some half throttle stuff as soon as I can. I probably won't get the TPS done until next weekend, but I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks Mike

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is awesome! I am going to search for a 6r80 trans out of a 2011-2014 mustang along with all of the stuff (shifter, trans mount crossmember, driveshaft).
I want to get it working with my stock block first then get the forged motor in. I'm pretty sure I can use a 209-2010 F150 flexplate (6bolt crank). Would I need the starter from the truck also?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I want to get it working with my stock block first then get the forged motor in. I'm pretty sure I can use a 209-2010 F150 flexplate (6bolt crank). Would I need the starter from the truck also?

Im trying to do the same on my kids car but cannot seem to source the 6 bolt flexplate. The 09-10 4.6 trucks show to have had a 4r75e trans and the 5.4s are 8 bolt and the 6r80.

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
Im trying to do the same on my kids car but cannot seem to source the 6 bolt flexplate. The 09-10 4.6 trucks show to have had a 4r75e trans and the 5.4s are 8 bolt and the 6r80.

Why does it matter if the flexplate came out of vehicle with 4r75e?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Why does it matter if the flexplate came out of vehicle with 4r75e?

My 4r70w flexplate is different from a 5r55s. RockAuto shows different part numbers between the two. Are you saying the 4r75e flexplate is the same as the 6r80?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The 6r80 with the 5.4 flexplate shows to be 14.1875" dia. 164 teeth and 8 bolt.

The 4r75e with the 4.6 flexplate is 14.25" dia. 6 bolt and 164 teeth.

This on an 09-10 F150. Im not sure on the off set though.

Also I can add that Mike said his 5.4 flexplate and the 6r80 he has are different.

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
My 4r70w flexplate is different from a 5r55s. RockAuto shows different part numbers between the two. Are you saying the 4r75e flexplate is the same as the 6r80?

I am saying that I purchased a flexplate from a 4.6 (Ford Van but there are many that interchange) engine that uses a 4R75E. It has 6 bolts and an 11.5 inch torque converter bolt pattern that is used with the 6r80. The starter tooth count matches the stock (to our cars) starter. It is bolted up in my car but I have not started it yet.
I did not search for a flexplate out of 5r55 car because they are different. They have some sort of a spacer to match the 5r converter.
I am no expert. I am just asking why you think it will not work.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back