Axle Length Question

kell0177

Reaction score
So I recently purchased some axle shafts made by Alloy USA. Had them installed and the driver's side caliper hanger was rubbing against the rotor. Pulled the axle out and it was slightly shorter (maybe 1/8") than the original axle. Contacted Summit, had them send me a new one for the driver's side, as the passenger's side had no clearance issues at all. It arrived and it was too short as well.

I looked at different lengths and can't seem to find a definite answer. Alloy USA lists theirs at 31 11/16" and 32 13/16" (LR & RR respectively) while Moser lists theirs at 31 13/16" and 31 11/16". Dorman has the same sizes as Alloy USA.

I contacted Alloy USA and they said theirs are the same size and all the other manufacturers. Am I losing my mind? There were no clearance issues before and the new ones are definitely different sizes than the ones that came out.

The original axle is on the left in both pictures

Attachments

• FOT60F8.jpg
    FOT60F8.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 52
  • V__DFCC.jpg
    V__DFCC.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
So I recently purchased some axle shafts made by Alloy USA. Had them installed and the driver's side caliper hanger was rubbing against the rotor. Pulled the axle out and it was slightly shorter (maybe 1/8") than the original axle. Contacted Summit, had them send me a new one for the driver's side, as the passenger's side had no clearance issues at all. It arrived and it was too short as well.

I looked at different lengths and can't seem to find a definite answer. Alloy USA lists theirs at 31 11/16" and 32 13/16" (LR & RR respectively) while Moser lists theirs at 31 13/16" and 31 11/16". Dorman has the same sizes as Alloy USA.

I contacted Alloy USA and they said theirs are the same size and all the other manufacturers. Am I losing my mind? There were no clearance issues before and the new ones are definitely different sizes than the ones that came out.

Damn, what a pickle.

I have Mosers and no clearance issues. What's the length of your stock ones?

Being that Alloy USA's given specs are 1/8" shorter than Moser, I'd say it sounds like Alloy USA is off on their specs.

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score

Quick thread jack: my gf lives in Newcastle and I visit often. I'll look you up next time I'm there

kell0177

Reaction score
Damn, what a pickle.

I have Mosers and no clearance issues. What's the length of your stock ones?

Being that Alloy USA's given specs are 1/8" shorter than Moser, I'd say it sounds like Alloy USA is off on their specs.

Stock ones are the same length as the Mosers. I've been in touch with Alloy USA. At first they said their axles are the same length as all other manufacturers.

AFTER I told them Moser's were different they said "I couldn't tell you why they are different. We've been selling them that length since 2005 though."

Real cool. So far the LR caliper had to be replaced because the piston was seized and wouldn't twist at all. Just replaced that and the bearings had so much strain on them that I'm going to have to replace those...again. Going to Ford Tuesday to get a diagram with the axle length so I can send it to Alloy USA and see what BS response they have to that.

On the other subject, that's awesome! Not very far at all. Definitely let me know if you're in the area. I'll pm you my number.

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
I just purchased a set of Alloy USA axles...

Curious to see what they measure when I get them...

Keep us posted please!

kell0177

Reaction score
I just purchased a set of Alloy USA axles...

Curious to see what they measure when I get them...

Keep us posted please!

Will do. Should have some more information tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Let me know how your axles measure up to the ones that come in

kell0177

Reaction score
Well haven't been able to get any answers. The dealership is no help at all. Called Ford directly and spent 20 minutes on the phone while they tried to look it up with no success.

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Stock ones are the same length as the Mosers. I've been in touch with Alloy USA. At first they said their axles are the same length as all other manufacturers.

AFTER I told them Moser's were different they said "I couldn't tell you why they are different. We've been selling them that length since 2005 though."

Real cool. So far the LR caliper had to be replaced because the piston was seized and wouldn't twist at all. Just replaced that and the bearings had so much strain on them that I'm going to have to replace those...again. Going to Ford Tuesday to get a diagram with the axle length so I can send it to Alloy USA and see what BS response they have to that.

On the other subject, that's awesome! Not very far at all. Definitely let me know if you're in the area. I'll pm you my number.

So if stock length is same as Mosers' dimensions...... I'd say that Moser is right and Alloy is wrong.

What more does Alloy USA need than "I measured the axle that came out against the one you sent me as a direct replacement, and it's 1/8" too short. Fix it" ??

Too late to send it back and go with Mosers?

kell0177

Reaction score
So if stock length is same as Mosers' dimensions...... I'd say that Moser is right and Alloy is wrong.

What more does Alloy USA need than "I measured the axle that came out against the one you sent me as a direct replacement, and it's 1/8" too short. Fix it" ??

Too late to send it back and go with Mosers?

They are taking no blame for anything. Their only defense is that they have been making them that length since 2005. Luckily the guys at Summit are extremely helpful. They are paying to have these sent back and are giving me a discount on the Mosers. That is customer service IMO. They are also investigating why the axles are manufactured incorrectly.

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
They are taking no blame for anything. Their only defense is that they have been making them that length since 2005. Luckily the guys at Summit are extremely helpful. They are paying to have these sent back and are giving me a discount on the Mosers. That is customer service IMO. They are also investigating why the axles are manufactured incorrectly.

+1 for Summit's customer service. They'll do the right thing! Post back the end results!

kell0177

Reaction score
+1 for Summit's customer service. They'll do the right thing! Post back the end results!

Absolutely! Very impressed with their quick service and everything. If anyone has access to specs I can send Alloy that would be awesome. Ford has been a dead end.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Reviving this as I ran into the Alloy issue today on a friend's car: the driver side is about 1/8" too short, as spec'd by Alloy. They may have been selling them, but they are WRONG!
I think we'll be sending them back and getting the Moser's.

kell0177

Reaction score
I sent them back to Summit, got a refund, sent a "kind" email to Alloy USA for not owning up to the problem, and then got Mosers.

kell0177

Reaction score
Awesome! I know those will work for you. Send an email to Alloy USA. Maybe they will get their shit together. They seriously told me they have been selling them that length since 2005 and "All of the axles we have in stock measure exactly the same as the Moser, Supperior, Strange, etc... axles that other companies offer"

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
For those reading this...AVOID THE ALLOY's, go for the Moser's instead!

Last week I removed a set of Alloy axles from a friends car; the driver side was too short AND the passenger side had excessive sideways movement (maybe a little too long, I dont know).

Today I installed Moser axles in their place, and the Mosers fit perfectly. Very nice!

berryda

Reaction score
Hello - I found this thread pertaining to S197 Axle Length Issues and I am experiencing an odd issue. I purchased a 2005 GT (R title) and I quickly found that it needed rear brakes. I replaced the pads but found that the right rear is running hot. I ultimately replaced the caliper and hose, but I then found that the rotor is hitting the INSIDE of the caliper bracket as if the axle is 1/8" to 1/4" too short. The left rear rotor is centered in the caliper bracket perfectly. The car had 3.89 Richmond gears installed before I purchased it, so I don't know if this has anything to do with the carrier being offset slightly to the left, however since the left side seems perfect I am beside myself. I am still working the issue, but it is taking an increasing amount of time. I do not yet know if the axles are OEM.

I need to spend more time on this, but if the rotor is offset towards the inside of the car, I am questioning if the caliper cannot move freely, which is resulting in the hot temperatures. Has anyone experienced anything of this nature? I can provide greater detail if necessary. Thx!

Laga

Reaction score
but I then found that the rotor is hitting the INSIDE of the caliper bracket as if the axle is 1/8" to 1/4" too short.
I don’t know if this will help, but this is my experience on my 05. About 18 months ago, I installed Wilwood brakes on the rear end. They have to be measured and shimmed to center the caliper on rotor because they are not an exact replacement kit. I measured existing before ordering to make sure they would fit. No problem. At the same time, I decided to replace the 15 year old wheel bearings, along with new axle “C” clips.

When I put everything back together, the passenger side axle was about 1/8” shorter than original measurements and I could not make the shims that I ordered work. Since the differential cover was still off, I pulled new “C” clip and reinstalled the old one. This put the axle back to original position and I was able to make my shims work. I don’t know if the clip was in backwards or if it was a different thickness, as I never took the time to figure out why. I was just glad everything was going back together and closed things up. Since the rear end was apart, this could be a possibility.

Back