A/C Delete

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who has done it? I heard its worth almost 70lbs if you remove all the components. The compressor, the part in front of the radiatior (condensor?) and the tubing that leads to a "thing" on the drivers side rear of the engine compartment.

So I found the a/c delete plate with the 8-rib pulley needed to do this at BGG performance (a vendor here)

Even though my car is definitely a street car--its starting to become a race car slowly, so I might as well embrace it. I never drive this car in the heat anyway. I have two choices, more power or make the car lighter. If I go with more power, then I am looking at a new trans set up that will cost me over $5K. No go. So, its make it lighter, while not chopping up the car either.

Write up on post #35

Last edited:

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I say keep the A/C and get the trans and more power you are going to end up doing that anyway!!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
You might also take a detailed look at the Cobra Jet cars from FRPP. Lots of weight saving ideas in those things.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am looking at some BMR A-arms, replacing the sway bar / radiator brace (finally), and of course a K-member. That combined with the a/c delete will put me at -75lbs on the front end. I have long since removed the factory sway bar, but never replaced the brace with the lightweight one.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
They removed the outer firewall on those car along with all the crap behind it. Created LOTS of room in the engine compartment.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didnt take my stuff under the dash out, but everything in the engine bay was 33 pounds..

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
IF you´re making your car a race car ... you will end up buying another trans anyway ! So keep the A/C and buy a 4r70w :thumb: :beer:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it will eventually happen. But lighter is always better, less stress on drivetrain components, etc.---so I will do the weight thing first, then when I do step it up, it will be that much faster.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Just dont make it that much of a race car, because it will loose the apeal of a good DD car that it is now

blackgtrag

forum member
Reaction score
i am very interested in this as i live in canada and if its too hot ill just drop the damn top!!!!
less wieght and also less parasitic loss on the serpitintine seems like a winner to me..
need as much info as possible. write up/ pics please..

Crazy8

Reaction score
Please do a write up if you take your A/C out.

I hate the way the car drives with the A/C running and passengers always bother me to turn it on. I would take it out just to make it a mute point.

Lazy Racer

forum member
Reaction score
Im planning on AC delete and a BMR sway bar delete too. In the UK Aircon is pointless. The FR Cobra 'only' has the aircon, sway bar rad support delete and ABS removed for front end weight loss. They do use a few V6 parts apparently - seats, brakes. ALL of the parts will be detailed and for sale on the FRPP site apparently; nice interview with the new project leader by Jim from JDM here.

http://www.1320x.com/video/new-cobra-jet-mustang

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did the AC delete and I got my 8 rib pulley for it from BGG performance (vendor on here) It was alot of weight and with It I also changed the K member and added the Steeda radiator support while I had the entire motor out. I dont have any detailed numbers that your looking for though. Sorry.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im planning on AC delete and a BMR sway bar delete too. In the UK Aircon is pointless. The FR Cobra 'only' has the aircon, sway bar rad support delete and ABS removed for front end weight loss. They do use a few V6 parts apparently - seats, brakes. ALL of the parts will be detailed and for sale on the FRPP site apparently; nice interview with the new project leader by Jim from JDM here.

http://www.1320x.com/video/new-cobra-jet-mustang

Wow, great vid. I'd pay 69K for that car.

I will be doing the k-member, A-arms, a/c delete, and the radiator support in a couple weeks. I take pics and post up the useful info.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea the stuff on there is crazy cheap i love the hood but just dont know how much of a pain in the ass it would be to remove by myself at home lol

blackgtrag

forum member
Reaction score
frpp has a ac eliminator piece. How much weight would it actually shave. What else can you remove other then just the accesory drive piece.
Im very interested in doing this but would need some guidance

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its not that hard at all---I have had a lift off hood for 1 1/2 years now (because of the nitrous explosion). I have four hood pins, and the hood is easy to take off. Its putting it back on without scratching the paint that takes either some talent, or a friend.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back