18x11's with 295/35/18 Rivals...look inside for details

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
So if you follow my build thread you've seen this, but here is some preliminary info on this setup:

Some of you probably saw this picture:

_DSC2891%20copy-L.jpg

Well...that was enough. I ordered some 295/35/18 Rivals about 15 minutes later. I have been told the rivals are running big, and the 315/30/18's are very short, so that's why it was 295. I had them mounted and balanced yesterday, and have been out seeing what I can do about scrubbing off the mold release. I have a loop of about 10 miles that takes me up and down 20 on and off ramps, with some increasing radius, decreasing radius, constant radius, straights, decent braking zones, and a couple nice straights. It's not too common to get stuck behind slow people, so it's a nice loop to use to test changes to the car.

Fitment note- with AST 4150 struts and the 18x11 F14, there is an eency tiny rub. Just enough to take a square millimeter of paint off the AST logo on the strut. I'm running a 5/16" spacer, but will look far a smaller one. I think 2 or 3mm would do it.

Impressions-
My points of comparison are a 275 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 285 Hankook R-S3, 315 Kumho V710, and a 275 BFG R1, tires I've used this year

Of all the tires listed above, they feel the most like a cross between the R1's and RS3's.

-Not as much feedback as the Pilot Super Sports or RS3's, more than both of the R-Comps.

-MUCH better braking grip than the RS3's- about on par with the R1's I think. Not quite V710 good.

-Forward bite is a wash with the RS3's, but less "squirmy" if that makes sense. Better than the R1's, not as good as a HOT V710, but better than a V710 in an autocross condition/temperature.

-They have more lateral grip than is possible to test while remaining safe and legal on streets with any amount of traffic.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to getting them on track and autocrossing them. Should be fun.

Pictures:

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
What offsets are you running? 5/16 spacer is just under 8mm, so I would guess 40-45?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
csamsh,
Do you think it would be an injustice to run this size on a 10" wheel?
They are listed as 10-11.5".

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen other Mustangs down here with the 295's on 10's and the 275's on 10's...and they'll both go on there just fine. Give it a shot? The 275 on a 10 does look better, IMO. I was told the Rivals run wide, and I agree with that opinion after seeing all of these tire/wheel size combos.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got 18x10s on all 4 corners. I don't need a spacer with the 285s I'm running now. I wonder how those would fit?

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I've got 18x10s on all 4 corners. I don't need a spacer with the 285s I'm running now. I wonder how those would fit?

+1! I'd definitely look at replacing my Conti Extreme Contact DWS with these when my Contis go bald.

Man, those 295 Rivals look like they'd stick like glue, and they look perfect on your wheel set up.

2013MustangGT

Budget Boss
Reaction score
@csamsh

I am surprise at your comment on the R1. I have heard nothing, but good things about them. All from the BMW crowd. The R1 is doesn't really have the sizes for the Mustang that I would like and is more expensive then the Rival. I will give the Rival a shot as soon as I run through my tires I already have. On the 18x10 I have Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico with a tread wear of 140, size 275/40r18. Also, I picked up the Pirelli's cheap because they were discontinued. The have held up well on the track. On my 18x11s I have RS3 285/35r18, so they are stretched. I will probably put the Rivals on the 18x11 in the future.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
@csamsh

I am surprise at your comment on the R1. I have heard nothing, but good things about them. All from the BMW crowd. The R1 is doesn't really have the sizes for the Mustang that I would like and is more expensive then the Rival. I will give the Rival a shot as soon as I run through my tires I already have. On the 18x10 I have Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico with a tread wear of 140, size 275/40r18. Also, I picked up the Pirelli's cheap because they were discontinued. The have held up well on the track. On my 18x11s I have RS3 285/35r18, so they are stretched. I will probably put the Rivals on the 18x11 in the future.

Bear in mind that I only ever autocrossed the R1- never had it on track. Once I wear out my RS3's, the R1's will go back on my 10" wheels for track use.

Reaction score
Ah. I couldn't see the ends too well on my phone. They look flat. What length? Were the studs on before you slapped this setup together? Would you say the stockers would be too short?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Ah. I couldn't see the ends too well on my phone. They look flat. What length? Were the studs on before you slapped this setup together? Would you say the stockers would be too short?

Yeah my passenger side wheel hub started making noise so I replaced them with the Ford Racing wheel hubs. The ARP studs are 3". I would not want to run a spacer with the stock studs. I think the need for the spacer is rather tire-dependent, the Rivals have a huge amount of overhang over the edge of the rim, at least half an inch. A "normal" tire probably wouldn't need them.

Back