S197 Removable Hardtop Write-Up

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
When I bought my convertible I knew I wanted to do something different with it. Almost immediately after I got it I went ahead and contacted Smoothline Custom Hardtops to have one made. From the beginning I knew this was not going to be an easy task. Unfortunately it ended up being a nightmare task for us from the beginning to end.

The top was originally ordered June 2013. We actually ordered two of them since we were going to sell one to a customer as well. In August, the first top arrived at our body shop and when it was opened it was cracked. This was unfortunate but we could not do anything about it. Our customer ended up canceling the order and it was understandable. When the replacement (second top) arrived in September, at our body shop it looked good until we examined it closer and it was also cracked. Jack at Smoothline ensured us that this has never happened before and because they decided to use a new shipper they were to blame. At this time I was already ticked off. Having originally ordered the top nearly 4 months ago I called Jack and told him we were going to drive up to PA from VA to get the top for safe measure so it does not get damaged in transit. In addition to this, I asked if we could bring my car down there so they could fit the top properly since after all they designed it and would be most suited to do this.

Well October 8th rolled around and we trailered my convertible up to PA to get the top fitted to it. We told Smoothline what time we would be arriving so they could expect us. When we arrived the guy we needed to fit the car was not there. They told us they couldn’t touch the car to fit the top. I was pissed considering I just towed this car 3 + hours for shits and giggles. Again… what was I going to do? Ended up loading the box in the trailer and we went on our way. Got the top back to the store and when we opened it, we realized it would have to modified to fit around my the CDC light bar. No problem, except when I called Jack it took about a week for him to find the template, and when I finally got the template it was so far off from where the bar needed to be cut out of the fiberglass.

This was the nightmare I went through before the top even made contact with this car, lol.

Finally I dropped my car off at the body shop around Christmas and they got started with it. Instantaneously we knew it needed a ton of work… more like an astronomical amount of work. The fiberglass was primed like it was ready to be painted but was no where near ready. The primer was not of quality and there were a ton of imperfections. Not to mention, the fitment of the top was not even close to the car. If you were to push the front of the top down over the windshield frame, the rear of the top would not clear the convertible top. The first time I saw this, I was livid. Again the nightmare of this project continued.

1_zps3f2a3530.jpg

You can see there is a noticeable lift in the front of the top where it meets the windshield frame.

2_zps3d07e58b.jpg

7_zpsba36c0c4.jpg

The back of the top is sitting up way to high since it is not long enough to clear the convertible top.

3_zps969e2387.jpg

4_zps10fd3374.jpg

Top clears the CDC light bar properly after the fiberglass was cut. The template was useless and they did it using steady calculation.

5_zpsedd0d905.jpg

You can see how the rear corner of the top is somewhat high, this is because this top was designed on a 05-09 S197 where the rear quarter panel is level across. On the 10-14 they are slanted downward.

6_zps8473a95d.jpg

8_zps6255fb43.jpg

You can see how the convertible top is still intact and just in the lowered position.

9_zps83d7d327.jpg

A short list of the things the top needed
*Incision made in the fiberglass to get more length out of it to fit properly
*Reinforcement bracket was made after the incision
*1/4 windows holes were absolutely screwed up and windows did not even fit in the cubbies
*Anchoring points for the front of the top to latch down on the windshield frame were not lining up properly and they had to be moved.
* +Much more that I’m forgetting

A came by a couple weeks later and they started cutting the top to add fiberglass and adjust the angle of the front to fit properly.

10_zpsbfada7ae.jpg

After about a month of work (it was a low priority project since I am in no hurry) the top fitment was much better but more work was needed.

Rear is sitting much better, and even the corner gap was minimized.

11_zps9911d17f.jpg

12_zpsaf6a643e.jpg

13_zps5a4295ac.jpg

Front sits perfectly snug now.

14_zps828d9591.jpg

Eventually it was ready for paint a month later and I just got back possession of the car this past Friday. I have to say that I was incredibly impressed with the workmanship and quality of this thing once the body shop got done with it. I never envisioned it looking this perfect.

18_zps44693a61.jpg

17_zpsce338072.jpg

Convertible Top Up

19_zps10c64ee5.jpg

Convertible Top Down

20_zps1e3367cb.jpg

Hardtop mode engaged

21_zpsfeb6842e.jpg

And here are more pictures. It is currently shit weather out here so I’ll have to get better ones later on.

24_zpsd3903fb3.jpg

22_zps3c9d0077.jpg

23_zps8f5d27bd.jpg

25_zps3a19b41b.jpg

26_zps66bce5e8.jpg

Up close fitment it incredible now

31_zpsdac62d5a.jpg

28_zps3486e259.jpg

Knowing that the top was not really intended for the 10-14 was unfortunate but in person you can’t notice the gaps.

30_zps0bdccb3f.jpg

29_zps5bc469e9.jpg

27_zps532e4111.jpg

Yesterday, I dusted off the right pedal and even at high-speeds the top is whisper quiet. No extra noise was detected and the rear window visibility is great. I ordered this top with a defroster grid, but will probably forgo hooking it up. The CDC light bar looks really cool inside the car and since the top is in the down position it will function as an additional third brake light, however if you are driving at night it will light the interior up like a damn Christmas tree.

Because the car is black, the gaps between the body and top are hardly noticeable to the untrained eye. I had people asking me if I traded my convertible in for a coupe or asked why I installed a light bar in a coupe. Silly people

In the end, I’ve finally ridded myself of this 8-month ordeal. It was a major burden, pain in the ass, hole in my wallet and headache for all of us. The body shop tried calling Smoothline to inquire on issues they were dealing with but did not receive call-backs. I know a custom piece like this was expected to come with a handful of issues but the box of worms I opened up was more like Pandora’s box. This is one modification that I’m happy to own, but I would never do again. There is no doubting the truth though, the car looks absolutely stunning in person.

Feel free to ask me questions about this project and I’ll be happy to answer them. Just don’t ask me to buy and have one put together again, Lol.

I will be putting up a video of a walk-around the car soon and I'll eventually post another video of the removal of it.

Edit: (03/04/2014) - Basic walkaround

Last edited:

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score
How does the hardtop connect to the body in the front and rear? I know you could of used the convertible top mounts for the front but what about the back?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats on getting it finished

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm sorry but the rear corners sticking up an inch off the car body really stick out for me. I'm sorry you had so much work to get it this far, still not anywhere near close enough for me to want one.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
How does the hardtop connect to the body in the front and rear? I know you could of used the convertible top mounts for the front but what about the back?

It has J-hooks that wrap around the convertible top mechanism and then you tighten down. Easy enough and very snug. Pain in the ass to find something to latch on properly but I'll only do this twice a year so meh.

ydehyna6.jpg

I was happy for you to see it was finally finished. Looks great!

Congrats on getting it finished

Thanks. I'm happy to be done with this project

I'm sorry but the rear corners sticking up an inch off the car body really stick out for me. I'm sorry you had so much work to get it this far, still not anywhere near close enough for me to want one.

I agree but the pics make it look much more worse than it really is.

bubabeha.jpg

Here is a measurement.

6yzu5ude.jpg

Not sure why you'd need one for your coupe though..... lol

Last edited:

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score

It has J-hooks that wrap around the convertible top mechanism and then you tighten down. Easy enough and very snug. Pain in the ass to find something to latch on properly but I'll only do this twice a year so meh.

ydehyna6.jpg

Thanks. I'm happy to be done with this project

I agree but the pics make it look much more worse than it really is.

Here is a measurement.

Not sure why you'd need one for your coupe though..... lol

Interesting. A one of a kind job, that is for sure. Keep up the nice looking car!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
That came out real nice man, I like it!
Very unique.

SGTguy

forum member
Reaction score
Nice job, I like the look. Is the top making contact with the outside body paint.
I seen one of those tops on GT500 vert that runs the Texas Mile

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Know how I know you crazy?

Because I did appearance mods instead of power mods on a 700~hp car?

ya im nutz

That came out real nice man, I like it!
Very unique.

Thanks man :beerdrink:

Nice job, I like the look. Is the top making contact with the outside body paint.
I seen one of those tops on GT500 vert that runs the Texas Mile

Yup, I found out about Smoothline when I saw that GT500SS run the TX Mile. When I talked to Jack @ Smoothline he remembered that car and I've talked to Van Collier about it too on the phone not too long ago. Very badass car indeed.

2007-ford-shelby-gt500-super-snake-front-view.jpg

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Interesting modification for sure. Too bad it didn't go smooth for you from the get go.Did "Not so smoothline" step and give you a break on the price?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I thought about installing it and then doing an action movie sequence where I unhook it at 80mph to watch it fly off.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Ha most ppl would have abandoned it

I thought about installing it and then doing an action movie sequence where I unhook it at 80mph to watch it fly off.

Interesting modification for sure. Too bad it didn't go smooth for you from the get go.Did "Not so smoothline" step and give you a break on the price?

We negotiated on the initial purchase. However if they gave me this thing for free, it would still be too expensive.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score

We negotiated on the initial purchase. However if they gave me this thing for free, it would still be too expensive.

Glad you finally got it all done.. I was interested in it (and have an 07) but not sure if it is cool enough to have a turd in a box show up (damaged or not). Body work is expensive even if you are just paying your guys labor..

How many man hours you have in the whole deal and could you even recommend it for a guy that has access to a shop?

Not sure if I even want to mess with it now..

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Looks amazing brotha!

I was thinking about you during this. My dad kept putting it in my head that a Carbon Fiber one would look sweet. Too bad no one makes it. Haha

Glad you finally got it all done.. I was interested in it (and have an 07) but not sure if it is cool enough to have a turd in a box show up (damaged or not). Body work is expensive even if you are just paying your guys labor..

How many man hours you have in the whole deal and could you even recommend it for a guy that has access to a shop?

Not sure if I even want to mess with it now..

Short reply: no you don't want to mess with this now.

Our body shop will never touch one of these again. It was a learning experience and it tested their ability like no other. I can't imagine what I would have done without those guys expertise. I give them 100% of the credit for making this project what it is.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back