Photo tutorial - take better pics of your mustang

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, as you know I like to do the COTM series, as well as some other projects. BUT, there is a problem. While we have many nice cars on here, not everyone has that "photographic eye". Here are some tips that apply to most of us. Often times the professionals will break many of the below rules, but they know how to and still come up with a great picture, most of us do not.

1) Start with the right camera. An older cell phone, for example, is just not going to cut it. Some of the new phones have some pretty good cameras, but start with something that doesn't double as a potato.

2) Once you have your camera, make sure you understand the settings that you can use to help with focus, depth of field, exposure, color, etc.

3) Background: choose a background that is pretty consistent and doesn't have a million different distracting things going on.

4) Perspective: I almost NEVER take a picture of a car by just standing, I will always try different heights, very low to the ground, for example, gives a dramatic look. Even up high on a ladder. Try different perspectives.

5) Lighting: Position the car so the sun is behind you when taking the picture. Also position the car so the entire car is either in sunlight, or shade, but not both. If shooting at night with longer shutter speeds, use a tripod.

6) Car placement: Wheels--always have the front wheels face the camera vs away from the camera.

7) Fill the frame with your subject. Or if not possible, crop later in editing to fill the frame with your subject. Use the rule of thirds when cropping, unless you are doing something specific/creative which requires otherwise.

Of course there are many "rules" of photography, and many are quite complicated, but for now this is just for a beginner. Later, I will update this first post with much more "complicated" info regarding DSLRs, shutter priority, aperture priority, ISO, HDR, etc.

Here are two examples that use these simple rules that I could use in a COTM write up. Its hard for me to do a COTM write up to show how awesome a car is, then have crappy pics which do NOT convey that same message.

Paulsnewcaraftertotal.jpg~original

^^^Notice, no distracting background, front wheel turned towards camera, picture taken from a low perspective, subject fills the frame, consistent lighting (no bright sunlight combined with shadows).

Derricks50-3.jpg~original

^^^wheels facing camera, picture taken from a kneeling perspective, consistent lighting, subject fills the frame. Background is relatively consistent, but some may consider the trees distracting. For me I do not, as they run across the entire pic, giving a consistent background. If there were only one or two trees, then yes that would not be good for the pic.

DSLR owners:

1) Shoot in RAW whenever possible. RAW files edit 10X better then JPEG files, because a RAW file contains ALL of the data the camera acquired when the picture was taken. In JPEG mode, the camera compresses the file, then throws away a lot of the data, which is forever lost, which no editing program can recover. The down side is a JPEG file might be 6-8mb, a RAW file could be 20mb.

2) When panning or shooting something where you need to convey speed in the picture, use shutter priority mode. The shutter speed you choose will depend on many factors (zoom of the lens, how close you are to the moving subject, how fast the subject is moving, etc). You need to pick the appropriate shutter speed so the subject is still in focus, but the background is blurred. Shutter priority allows you to do this. So in the example below, this was 1/60 of a second. If the car was slower, maybe 1/30 would do. If the car was really fast, maybe 1/80 or so. Just depends, you have to experiment.

Sacramento222.jpg~original

3) Aperature--the smaller the number, the larger the lens opens up to allow in more light. However, the larger the lens opens up, your depth of field narrows. This is good for portraits or whenever you are taking pics of something where you want the background blurred. When the aperture number is higher, then lens opening is smaller. A large number aperture (small opening) allows you to have a very wide depth of field, keeping almost everything in the picture in focus (subject and background). This confuses most people as it is opposite of what you would think--meaning the smaller the aperture number (F2.8 for example), the larger the opening to let in light. Likewise the larger the aperture number (F22 for example) the smaller the opening to let in light.

4) ISO. Ideally you want 100 whenever possible, as 100 has the least amount of noise in dark colors and blacks. However sometimes you can not shoot at 100, so the higher the number, the more sensitive to light the exposure is, but you also get more noise.

Here is a great video that explains all of this way better then I can:

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

So, look at the shadow across the front fender and rear fender. Also I would have stepped more to the left to eliminate the railing in the background. That mural gives a great back drop, just need to position yourself so the mural takes up the entire background.

On another note the dog seems to like the car.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Taken with crappy cellphone.

S3vFf9fl.jpg

Taken with DSLR camera, with a crappy photographer

UrbanPark.png

UrbanPSide.png

Makes a huge difference.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
UrbanPSide.png

Makes a huge difference.

I think the lighting and the angle is good on this one, as well as you filled the frame with the subject. Just need to find a spot without the tree or power pole, possibly crop a little bit of the foreground out.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Awesome advice! I need to submit something to you when I get done with this wire tuck/ProCharger install!

To me lighting is essential in getting a great shot, other than not having a potato for a camera. Bright colored cars you want a darker setting to really make the color pop. The car could get lost in the background depending on the color also...something to remember fellas!

Just to whore it out like the others...

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
1Feb12-5.jpg

And if you have a good back drop you want to use, make sure the lighting is diffused enough to not make your car look brighter than the background. As long as the whole picture has the same lighting through out, your background can accent your car rather than distract.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Lighten the shadows some in your editor?

Car looks great. I have always really liked the red/black combos. Great pic, filled the frame, car is clean, good consistent lighting, good background except for the one tree behind the windshield, maybe darken some highlights (get some blue in the sky?) other then that --thats all I got. I am gonna use this pic in my upcoming project.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I like this thread. I really need to find a spot to take some nice pics of my car. This is probably the best one I have right now, but its old, not taken with my nice camera, and not what my car looks like anymore. Besides, I know I can do better.

198737_10150230423097224_2528706_n.jpg

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

dz7i.jpg

In the spring or summer I bet this would be a good pic. Kneel down so that small sign is behind the car and not visible. In spring or summer those trees will have cool colors and the grass will be green. Also get closer or zoom up. The picture also has too much up top, but when you get in closer that will fix itself.

Last edited:

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
That is actually completely un-edited. I can't say I even know the first thing about editing photos, so I have to do my best to get them right when i'm acutally taking them.

Here is a pic that was taken by HellsBells. We used a rig for rolling shots. He did all the editing.
545440_10151666505892224_2122453265_n.jpg

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is actually completely un-edited. I can't say I even know the first thing about editing photos, so I have to do my best to get them right when i'm acutally taking them.

Here is a pic that was taken by HellsBells. We used a rig for rolling shots. He did all the editing.
545440_10151666505892224_2122453265_n.jpg

Great shot. I plan on getting into panning shots in this thread also, as that is my specialty. I love photos that convey speed/action.

Sacramento7141.jpg~original

SacramentoBlackCharger6.jpg~original

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
One thing that I absolutely refuse to do is edit a picture other than resize it. I don't use filters, editors, programs, nothing. I shoot with a bare bones Canon EOS Rebel XS with the 18-55 lens that came with it. I barely know how to adjust the settings on the camera, let alone use something like Photoshop. I did take an hour long photography class that my now ex got me from Groupon, and while it was mostly a waste of time, I did learn a few things about ISO and exposure, etc.

I love this picture, but the backdrop absolutely sucks. 2 buddies of mine, one night before we went out for a cruise. Sun was setting, and his car was shinier than any car I have ever seen.

j4xbV3Z.png

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You could gain a lot by understanding every function of your camera, including shutter priority, aperture -- and how that affects depth of field, etc. Resizing and cropping is a must usually. As far as editing, it just depends. For myself, I try to get the photo as close as possible to what I want, but I still put the best ones in the editor to correct shadows or highlights, for example.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
One thing that I absolutely refuse to do is edit a picture other than resize it. I don't use filters, editors, programs, nothing.
Why?

If I was critiquing your photo, I would say that if you want an "artsy" photo that shows only a small portion of the car, then fill the space with the subject. That street scene behind it is out of focus, dark, and dominates the image.

This photo has been edited a bit. Obviously the tones and colors are tweaked, but there was also a pole in the area that was unavoidable. You can still see its reflection on the hood.

46tbird2_zpsd6033cbe.jpg

Last edited:
Back