swflastang05's build thread

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Sure looks like detonation or lean. Things got hot, look at the shinny pits. What is your fuel system again?

Yes detonation is the consensus, it's just a matter of figuring out what caused it. I still haven't heard back from ID with the test results on my ID 1300's, sure would be nice to have some answers about that at least. My fuel system basically consists of a Fore hat with dual 465 pumps controlled via fc3 with -8an feed and -8an return lines and Fore regulator, -8an billet fuel rails (Division X which is the same as Fore) w/ID 1300 injectors. Power wire that feeds the fc3 / pumps is 4awg, running e85 of course. There's also a Fore fuel filter in line b/w the pumps and fuel rails. The -8an feed line goes to a Y block at the firewall, then splits to the back of each fuel rail, out the front of each fuel rail and into the regulator and back via the return line.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Yes detonation is the consensus, it's just a matter of figuring out what caused it. I still haven't heard back from ID with the test results on my ID 1300's, sure would be nice to have some answers about that at least. My fuel system basically consists of a Fore hat with dual 465 pumps controlled via fc3 with -8an feed and -8an return lines and Fore regulator, -8an billet fuel rails (Division X which is the same as Fore) w/ID 1300 injectors. Power wire that feeds the fc3 / pumps is 4awg, running e85 of course. There's also a Fore fuel filter in line b/w the pumps and fuel rails. The -8an feed line goes to a Y block at the firewall, then splits to the back of each fuel rail, out the front of each fuel rail and into the regulator and back via the return line.

I'll still guess detonation lifted the head and filled the cylinders with coolant and cracked the block.

And on a side note ... Going home last night I romped on my blue beast down by the Mexican border and the freaking upper radiator hose blew off and sent 2+gallons of antifreeze right down the intake.

Pretty sure when I pull the heads off it gunna look exactly like yours ...

Side note #2, Found what was causing the leak on my big bore build .. Cylinder #5 is cracked ..

Oh well It's just money ..

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I'll still guess detonation lifted the head and filled the cylinders with coolant and cracked the block.

And on a side note ... Going home last night I romped on my blue beast down by the Mexican border and the freaking upper radiator hose blew off and sent 2+gallons of antifreeze right down the intake.

Pretty sure when I pull the heads off it gunna look exactly like yours ...

Side note #2, Found what was causing the leak on my big bore build .. Cylinder #5 is cracked ..

Oh well It's just money ..

I think you're right about mine, sorry to hear you joined the engine failure club 2017'!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I got the results from ID today on my ID 1300's, the injectors had a bunch of debris in them causing two to be flowing too little (not by much though, not even 3%, not enough to cause the failure) and two others to be flowing too much. After cleaning there were two that needed to be replaced since they would not come back within spec from, flowing too much! The two that were flowing to little were from #1 and #2, WTF! The really ironic part is the two that were flowing too much were from #6 and #8, now I'm even more confused!!!

In any case they said the Fore Innovations filter I'm running with the SS filter does not filter like it's supposed to, they strongly recommended running a Fuel lab filter with 6 micron element, so I ordered one of those today, mo' money! Guess I'll have a nice Fore Filter for sale in the near future..

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Almost makes you want to get an AFR probe into each individual cylinder!!......which would be super cool. Do people do that? I have seen similar setups on piston aircraft systems. I think all the ones I have seen are EGR. They are pretty slick. Not something you want to be staring at while guiding that beast of yours down the 1/4 mile...

Pretty scary idea about tuning a car with an injector or two flowing a good bit higher.... I assume you would be inadvertently making all the others lean to level the AFR.

MVP50.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
Interesting that you didn't have any problems with the two lean injectors.
I may be wrong but I understood that the main feed line is always larger then the two split off lines so there isn't a pressure or volume drop after the Y.

travelers

Reaction score
Almost makes you want to get an AFR probe into each individual cylinder!!......which would be super cool. Do people do that? I have seen similar setups on piston aircraft systems. I think all the ones I have seen are EGR. They are pretty slick. Not something you want to be staring at while guiding that beast of yours down the 1/4 mile...

Pretty scary idea about tuning a car with an injector or two flowing a good bit higher.... I assume you would be inadvertently making all the others lean to level the AFR.

MVP50.jpg

We have that setup on our Hemi for the dyno not in the car.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Interesting that you didn't have any problems with the two lean injectors.
I may be wrong but I understood that the main feed line is always larger then the two split off lines so there isn't a pressure or volume drop after the Y.

The #2 piston skirt was collapsed, you would never know looking at it but I measured it to be .0018 smaller than when it was new. This of course happens when it gets too hot. I'm not sure about the line sizing, I've done some research and found conflicting results, go figure.

We have that setup on our Hemi for the dyno not in the car.

That is a sweet setup! When I had my fox body it was a N02 motor, I just put the EGT probe in the leanest cylinder. You learn quickly when to lift, at the temp when the spark plug tip begins to melt. Looking back it's amazing how tough that motor was, I melted dozens of spark plugs and never hurt a single piston. Seems like my 3v is so sensitive, the slightest little thing being "off" will result in a complete meltdown and for me, it's taken out the block every time too.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and start prepping / porting the extra left side head that I have to replace the cracked one. I ended up going way bigger than my previous heads, and now will of course have to port the right side to match. Actually it's kind of funny looking at my old heads now, in my mind they were "ported", but in reality they are "barely" ported. The exhaust sides are done pretty decent but the intake side was literally untouched other than sandpaper rolling the ports out smooth. I also went ahead and ordered new larger Manley valves with single grove locks, between the extensive porting and new larger valves, these heads should make a significant improvement.

Here we go again!
Chamber and intake valves unshrouded

One more intake port to do on the left side, then it's time to redo the right side. Good thing I have a couple weeks to wait before my new pistons will arrive.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Nice Kyle, how many hours do you have in a head?

That's hard to say, I wasn't really keeping track, but it's quite a few. I might estimate around 10-12+/- hours. The right side shouldn't be as bad though since those chambers are already done and the exhaust ports are mostly done, I'll just have to tweak them a little so they match the new size on the left head. Of course it's the intake ports that take forever and a day to do!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Tonight I finished the left side head 100%! These intake ports are now as big as they can go and still use the OEM o-ring intake gaskets. I really think this work is going to make a HUGE increase in power with the new motor, can't wait to get it back together and find out.

Then disassembled the right side and began working on the exhaust ports. Before:

I thought the exhaust ports were pretty close to the new size, HELL NO! They weren't even close! I went to town on those ports and didn't even realize it. A ton of material had to be removed inside and out to make them match, that's actually the most time consuming thing IMO, making sure all the ports match as close as possible, measure them all inside and out to make sure they're as close as possible. In any case I managed to get the exhaust ports done on the right side tonight, took about 4.5 hours. After:

Hopefully I'll get a good start on the intake ports tomorrow, you do start to get in the grove after doing a few, hopefully they will go a little quicker.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The amount of material removed from the exhaust ports is amazing.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I got home a little early from work today so was able to get three intake ports done, only one more to go! This took about 4 hours, so far I have about 8.5 hours on this head alone. I would estimate I have an hour or so left, then I'll go through everything again to give it a good once over, re-measure, touch up, etc. The first head definitely took longer, so I'll probably have about 23-24 hours into the port job altogether. Yes this definitely gets tedious, sometimes you need to just take a break then come back later, the end is in sight though. Now I just hope the OEM intake gaskets still fit, it's going to be close!

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good work! They look great. Where did you learn to do that kind of work? I have done some very light two stroke porting work but I had a template and reference pictures....you are making me want to pick up a set of used heads to play with. Are you using any kind of template or guide?

Rm

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Good work! They look great. Where did you learn to do that kind of work? I have done some very light two stroke porting work but I had a template and reference pictures....you are making me want to pick up a set of used heads to play with. Are you using any kind of template or guide?

Rm

When I did mine, I used the exhaust gasket and my JPC intake gaskets, add so it would all port match. The JPC intake ports are huge. The stock intake gaskets will fit inside my ports. You can also use a product called Machinest Blue. You spray it on the surface snd you can scribe the lines you want to follow. Ive only done a couple sets, but thats my experience.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back