Inside my Track Pack diff / axle seal replacement

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Had a leaking left rear axle seal replaced yesterday at a buddy's shop, and took a bunch of pics.

The car does have the (what's thought to be) typical Torsen highway whine, and when we took the cover off and looked at the gears, the large ring gear seemed to look a bit "off" to me ... parts of it looked rusty?? Please see the pics below and let me know what you think.

I'm thinking I'll eventually switch to 4.10's, but most likely not after the T56 goes in, which won't be real soon, hoping by the winter / over the winter.

Now, the original Ford fluid was drained out at 10k miles and replaced with custom-blended Quantum Blue / BND Automotive fluid, with the friction modifier built right in. This fluid was supposedly good for 35-40k miles.
The new Amsoil is said to be good for 100k miles

So, here are the pics:

Cover just removed:
DSC08651_zpsb9659fa5.jpg

DSC08652_zps2fc9c4e6.jpg

DSC08653_zpsbb9a6746.jpg

DSC08654_zps8e564a77.jpg

DSC08658_zps4a45bf06.jpg

Center pin and metal block removed:

DSC08655_zps7ad0e142.jpg

DSC08656_zps361a326b.jpg

This is the pic that I saw spots on the ring gear on the teeth where it looked like rust:

DSC08666_zpsdea0f9a9.jpg

The new parts:
(the axle seal is crossed out since it was the wrong one, it was too small, the shop had a proper new piece)

DSC08663_zps654ceeb2.jpg

Old axle seal:

DSC08659_zpsd07477d2.jpg

DSC08660_zps2271d4df.jpg

Old bearing:

DSC08667_zpsfc930d0a.jpg

New bearing installed (don't have a pic of the new seal):

DSC08669_zps553a34ce.jpg

Back together:

DSC08673_zpse87eacd6.jpg

DSC08671_zps7866eb59.jpg

DSC08670_zpsccaa6df4.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm wondering why friction modifier with a Torsen? Trutrack instructions say no modifier (not needed since there aren't any clutches) and no synthetic because it screws up the torque sensing/biasing voodoo that happens.

Are there any directions like that with a Torsen? The trutrack is basically a beefed up Torsen. I've never heard of the whine you speak of.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm wondering why friction modifier with a Torsen? Trutrack instructions say no modifier (not needed since there aren't any clutches) and no synthetic because it screws up the torque sensing/biasing voodoo that happens.

Are there any directions like that with a Torsen? The trutrack is basically a beefed up Torsen. I've never heard of the whine you speak of.

Pretty sure that Ford specifies synthetic oil for the Torsen, and as far as the friction modifier, I've heard it both ways with the Torsen, that you need it and that you don't.

I figured "better safe than sorry" and put it in

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Here's what's listed on the Torsen site in terms of oil:

Can Torsen recommend an oil for my rear axle?
We suggest that you follow what is listed in your vehicle's owners manual. We do require that a GL4/GL5 class oil be used for the Torsen T-1. The T-1 requires an oil with extreme pressure additives for optimal function. Torsen works well in either synthetic or mineral base oils!

I went with Royal Purple which has additive included and didn't use the Ford additive. So far mines as quiet as a field mouse.

OP...did you happen to catch the part number listed on your Track Pack Diff by chance? Just curious

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score

We suggest that you follow what is listed in your vehicle's owners manual. We do require that a GL4/GL5 class oil be used for the Torsen T-1. The T-1 requires an oil with extreme pressure additives for optimal function. Torsen works well in either synthetic or mineral base oils!

I went with Royal Purple which has additive included and didn't use the Ford additive. So far mines as quiet as a field mouse.

OP...did you happen to catch the part number listed on your Track Pack Diff by chance? Just curious

I did not ... unless it's visible in one of the pics above, maybe?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

The track-pack cars come with a Torsen T-2.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
No problem..Looks like the T-2 for the Track Pack uses part # (M-4204-T31)

Thanks

Not quite. All Boss/GT500/track pack cars with the Torsen use the M-4204-MB. It is a T2, but definitely different than the T31 you mention.

The only rust color I see in any of the pics is from the fluid that was in it. Aside from that, it appears normal.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Ford specifies synthetic oil for the Torsen, and as far as the friction modifier, I've heard it both ways with the Torsen, that you need it and that you don't.

I figured "better safe than sorry" and put it in

I know I read about this in the Boss supplement that I got with my car. It recommended that you use Friction Modifier as well. Page 32 & 33 in case anyone is interested.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/12musbs2e.pdf

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Not quite. All Boss/GT500/track pack cars with the Torsen use the M-4204-MB. It is a T2, but definitely different than the T31 you mention.

I was referring to the GT cars with the Track Pack when I listed the T31 part #. At least that is the Part # I dug up after looking into it further.

I have the M-4204-MB installed in my car.

It sure would have been nice if Torsen added an "MB" to the end of the T-2 to avoid confusion between the different T-2 flavors.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
looks fine, my gears looked like that. I believe its stained from the axle grease.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Even those got the MB. The T31 was never factory installed in a Mustang.

I'm curious if you work for Ford Racing? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your inside scoop on why there is a T31 option if it didn't come equipped on any of the current Mustang models available and who its supposed to cater to?

What your saying is that the Torsen that came on the Boss Laguna Seca (which is the MB) and was an option on the regular Boss is the same one found in the Track Pack GT's? That's news to me.

I'm seeing X 3 different Torsen options available for purchase, all at different price points:

Ford Racing M-4204-T31 (T-2 w/2.0 Bias & Lowest Cost)
Ford Racing M-4204-T31H (T-2R w/4.0 Bias & More Expensive)
Ford Racing M-4204-MB (T-2 w/2.7 Bias & Most Expensive)

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
I'm curious if you work for Ford Racing? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your inside scoop on why there is a T31 option if it didn't come equipped on any of the current Mustang models available and who its supposed to cater to?

What your saying is that the Torsen that came on the Boss Laguna Seca (which is the MB) and was an option on the regular Boss is the same one found in the Track Pack GT's? That's news to me.

I'm seeing X 3 different Torsen options available for purchase, all at different price points:

Ford Racing M-4204-T31 (T-2 w/2.0 Bias & Lowest Cost)
Ford Racing M-4204-T31H (T-2R w/4.0 Bias & More Expensive)
Ford Racing M-4204-MB (T-2 w/2.7 Bias & Most Expensive)

M-4204-T31 has been out for some time. It was the original, aftermarket Torsen available.
M-4204-T31H is the aftermarket, motorsports/racing version.
M-4204-MB is a revised version of the previous T2 (M-4204-T31). Revised torque-bias and made more durable for Ford OEM use. The original T2 is good, but not known for it's durablitly (more related to drag racing). Given the wide range of customers uses and what kind of car a Mustang is, it was necessary to upgrade the unit for extended durability.

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
M-4204-MB is what is used on the Boss (base option and LS), GT500 (13-14), and GT track pack (13-14), yes.

TrackpkCoyote13

Reaction score
I had a seal go bad on my 2013 track pack back at 13,000 miles. Fixed under warranty not sure what fluid and if modifier was used.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I had a seal go bad on my 2013 track pack back at 13,000 miles. Fixed under warranty not sure what fluid and if modifier was used.

And I could've had it done at a dealership.
I used to be a Ford service advisor, so I had my choice of the place I used to work at, or several other places.
But I chose to go to a friend's shop

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back