5.4 DOHC swap into 07 V6 (completed swap)

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
It has been quite some time since this thread has been made. I'm curious what kind of power this car is making with the N/A 5.4 in there.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the compliments. Still no idea on the power. Sorry, but I'm not really worried about it. With the high compression, it runs good. I always guess about 325-350hp and near 400 ft-lb of torque.

I am very happy with how it turned out. I am hoping to get long tube headers on it sometime this year, but for now, it's locked in.

The 2005 V6 that I daily drive is another story. I have started, purchased all the parts and stopped everything from a 4.6 DOHC powered road racer to a 557-inch big block drag-only car, to a top-speed challenge car and everywhere in between. But, until my health is better, I am stuck with the V6 and big piles of parts.

Last edited:

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I have been waiting to update this thread, so I have decided to add my latest upgrades. I am adding a blower, 8-rib setup and basically rebuilding the shortblock to add 9 1/2 - 1 pistons.

I pulled the engine, stripped it down and sent stuff to the machine shop. I have sold a bunch of the naturally aspirated intake components. I bought a 2012 M122 GT500 blower, GT500 intake manifold, GT500 fuel rails, GT500 cold air setup by FRPP and began making changes.

I am running regular Cobra C heads on my 5.4, which have lower intake flanges compared to a GT500 head. So after it was "possible" to get the GT500 intake to lower into place, I began taking measurements and mocking up for spacers. FYI, this IS NOT able to be done with Navigator heads, since the "bathtub" of the intake manifold will not fit down in the valley with those fat port flanges. I needed 3/4" to clear various parts of the timing cover and so on. So, I bought 3/4" 6061 slabs online and traced gaskets and began drilling. After about 20 hours of drilling, burring and tootsie rolling, I had my adapter plates. Man, using a CNC and CAD would have been nice!

The port shape is a compromise. More like a funnel, since the GT500 ports are wide and long rectangle and the Cobra ports are basically a rounded square. I would add more pics, but my account is full.

Last edited:

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the shape too much, the boost will cure that. Looks great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

claudermilk

Reaction score
So you did all that by hand?! :jawdrop::worthy:

For sharing pics, your best bet is to use a service like Photobucket, Imgur, or similar (I use SmugMug, but that's not a freebie service).

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, I laid out my billets and started by drilling the manifold hold down bolt holes (common spacing for both heads). I traced my Cobra 4.6 gasket on one side and the GT500 gasket on the other side (taking care to use correct orientation, since they are not reversible). Then I started drilling a series of holes using my drill press. It was over 150 holes per plate. Then I cut through the holes with a jigsaw. Then I used my cable-drive die grinder (with aluminum porting burr) to make the shape and finished it off with tootsie rolls. It took me about 20 hours total to do both of them. That's ok, since I have under $80 into them.

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Just. Wow.

I wish I had those kinds of fabrications skills. Incredible.

:allhail:
slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-welles.gif

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Just waiting for the blue wrinkle valve covers. Sure, I have to bolt on all the other small parts and wire harness, but that's cake. I have to admit, this is not the position I was hoping to be in. This car should have been roaming the streets by now.

I am very upset that my powdercoater is screwing me up like this. I have been showing cars at my hometown's Labor Day weekend show since 1985 and this Saturday is the 50th anniv. of that show. I usually park next to my dad and have a great day. He is getting old and is not in good health, so he said this may be his last year.

I have faith in my ability to pull an all-nighter and finish it Friday night (I have been in this position before, just when I was younger), but that all depends on if the valve covers get here!!! This stress is so unnecessary.

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems.I hope you get everything done and can make the show. I'm sure your father would be really happy to have you there.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
man i hope they get the valve covers to you quick.

Bet it would make him happy having your car's next to eachother showing them off

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I decided to prepare for the worst and pulled out a greasy pair of 03/04 style valve covers to prep and paint. I have killed 2 cans of Brakleen on them so far. As for paint, I don't like the VHT shade of blue wrinkle (really baby blue), so I am going to try the DupliColor "wrap" spray in Matte Patriot Blue. It looks a lot like the Ford Racing blue wrinkle and I should be able to spray a relatively coarse texture with it. `

I had to drill holes for the GT500 screw-down PCV mount on the passenger side. The front-PCV with "ear tabs" used only on the 03/04 valve cover made this possible. I made an on-the-fly decision to make a plate to screw down on the driver side. I took a Metco oil fill cap replacing open element filter and pried the filter off. Then I took the GT500 driver's side PCV nipple and RTV'd it into the hole. Now my driver's side oil vapor is nearly the same location as the GT500.

I may just make it to the show! The powdercoater isn't answering emails and blocked me on Facebook (their "business" and personal accounts), so I have no idea what's up there?!? Anybody near Linwood, NC ?

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I decided to prepare for the worst and pulled out a greasy pair of 03/04 style valve covers to prep and paint. I have killed 2 cans of Brakleen on them so far. As for paint, I don't like the VHT shade of blue wrinkle (really baby blue), so I am going to try the DupliColor "wrap" spray in Matte Patriot Blue. It looks a lot like the Ford Racing blue wrinkle and I should be able to spray a relatively coarse texture with it. `

I had to drill holes for the GT500 screw-down PCV mount on the passenger side. The front-PCV with "ear tabs" used only on the 03/04 valve cover made this possible. I made an on-the-fly decision to make a plate to screw down on the driver side. I took a Metco oil fill cap replacing open element filter and pried the filter off. Then I took the GT500 driver's side PCV nipple and RTV'd it into the hole. Now my driver's side oil vapor is nearly the same location as the GT500.

I may just make it to the show! The powdercoater isn't answering emails, so I have no idea what's up there?!?

Love the car, amazing job you're doing.

If by chance you still need valve covers I do have what may be the last set of new in the box Ford Racing blue covers in our warehouse right now.

Pm me if interested.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, but I can't use the GT500 valve covers, since I don't have the GT500's smaller timing chain sprockets. Thanks though!

Here is how the 03/04 valve covers turned out with the Matte Patriot Blue "car wrap "dip" stuff. I hope it can handle the heat!

Most of the car has been completed, just making all kinds of changes on the fly. I should be able to make the show!

Last edited:

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
That looks awesome man keep at it and great job

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, but I can't use the GT500 valve covers, since I don't have the GT500's smaller timing chain sprockets. Thanks though!

Here is how the 03/04 valve covers turned out with the Matte Patriot Blue "car wrap "dip" stuff. I hope it can handle the heat!

Most is completed, just making all kinds of changes on the fly. I should be able to make the show!

Ah, I missed that. Sorry.

Looks amazing!!

-Steve

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Great job, looks amazing
I had issues with my powdercoater as well, took a month and a half to get mine done correct without shit in the finish

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back