60ft and timing drop

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Wanted to move the discussion to a thread. Anyone have an idea why the timing might drop out for a split second in first gear? Went down to 2.5deg, rest of the run no problem, traction control off in tune.

Can I ask how much power your making? Stock bottom end or forged?

630whp, has a FRPP 4.6 aluminator bottom end

Are you smoking the tires or is it just not pulling off the bottom?

I lost the stock trans a few weeks back after 4 years of abuse, put in a level 10 trans and was working on the trans part of the tune last week but didn't get enough passes in to finish, last pass I thought was going to be good but they put a front wheel shit box in front of me, you know the rest, got on top of the tires from the water. That may of been the last pass this year at the track, winter has arrived.

I did notice a little problem maybe you can help, for some reason my timing blips down to 2.5deg for a brief moment on the 1-2 shift?

C3LfuO0.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
Wanted to move the discussion to a thread. Anyone have an idea why the timing might drop out for a split second in first gear? Went down to 2.5deg, rest of the run no problem, traction control off in tune.

630whp, has a FRPP 4.6 aluminator bottom end

I lost the stock trans a few weeks back after 4 years of abuse, put in a level 10 trans and was working on the trans part of the tune last week but didn't get enough passes in to finish, last pass I thought was going to be good but they put a front wheel shit box in front of me, you know the rest, got on top of the tires from the water. That may of been the last pass this year at the track, winter has arrived.

I did notice a little problem maybe you can help, for some reason my timing blips down to 2.5deg for a brief moment on the 1-2 shift?

C3LfuO0.jpg
I'm afraid I'm no help here, I don't do my own engine/trans tuning.
:(

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I would have to guess the knock sensors are going off and pulling timing. You should add the spk_add_ks to your datalog so you can see when the knock sensors are adding or pulling timing. My engines used to do it above 5500 rpms but mine was most likely being set off from my blower since it's bolted to the block which yours really isn't being a centrifugal.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I would have to guess the knock sensors are going off and pulling timing. You should add the spk_add_ks to your datalog so you can see when the knock sensors are adding or pulling timing. My engines used to do it above 5500 rpms but mine was most likely being set off from my blower since it's bolted to the block which yours really isn't being a centrifugal.

Thank's for your input, I'm going to set that up(spk_add_ks). Now I'm wondering if it's a tip in problem or that's the point right before my meth kick in. Those runs I know we hit 7500rpms on some shifts before we adjusted shift points,but no problems as far as knock or pulling timing besides that blip, this engine seems to like timing and rpm.

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How long does it stay at 2.5 degrees after you shift into second? Knock sensors are on? How much timing is it supposed to be at WOT (21, maybe 23 degrees? just guessing)--which would mean if it is the knock sensors it would be pulling 20 degrees of timing? I have heard of 4, 6, 8, even 10 depending on the level of knock sensor activity. TC is off, correct?

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
How long does it stay at 2.5 degrees after you shift into second? Knock sensors are on? How much timing is it supposed to be at WOT (21, maybe 23 degrees? just guessing)--which would mean if it is the knock sensors it would be pulling 20 degrees of timing? I have heard of 4, 6, 8, even 10 depending on the level of knock sensor activity. TC is off, correct?

That's what's strange, normally if knocking it would pull out a little timing and show up for longer or consecutive drops. This only happens in first gear at about 4500 rpm and just once for a millisecond drops to 2-3 deg. and returns. I run about 23-24 deg. of timing all the way up to 7500rpm without a problem. TC is off in the tune. My Wide band was showing a healthy 11.5 at WOT all the way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back