there's still a 3v aftermarket? (new intake manifold)

46addict

Reaction score
Dunno if I mentioned it in this thread already, but the guys at holley completely mis-read the wants and needs of the 3v mustang community.

Basically they assumed that all buyers would have a full blown race car so stock fitment of things like fuel rails, vacuum lines, and getting it under the hood would simply not matter. And that this race car would also have been converted to a cable throttle. Because you know, we don't have any 8 second cars with drive by wire you know......

Pretty much this. If I was ever in the market for a new manifold I will stick with what's been done before.

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
If you were to install it with a IMRC delete plates it's plug and play but the hood will not close. If you install without the plates the intake runners 1 and 5 hit the water neck crossover where it runs behind the Alternator from head to head. Also the intake hits the cylinder heads in the middle where the manifold mounts to the heads. This issue was easy to fix with little grinding. The water crossover was a little bit more involved.

Here is where the intake hits the heads:

Here is the fix:

I had to cut the water crossover tube and weld it closed:

I don't have a pic but after I welded it closed I drill and tapped a 3/4 pipe tap hole and used AN lines to make the connection from drive side to passenger side. The VAC routing issue is really a none issue. I had to extend 1 vac line 6"

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
If you were to install it with a IMRC delete plates it's plug and play but the hood will not close. If you install without the plates the intake runners 1 and 5 hit the water neck crossover where it runs behind the Alternator from head to head. Also the intake hits the cylinder heads in the middle where the manifold mounts to the heads. This issue was easy to fix with little grinding. The water crossover was a little bit more involved.

Here is where the intake hits the heads:

Here is the fix:

I had to cut the water crossover tube and weld it closed:

I don't have a pic but after I welded it closed I drill and tapped a 3/4 pipe tap hole and used AN lines to make the connection from drive side to passenger side. The VAC routing issue is really a none issue. I had to extend 1 vac line 6"

2 little things. 1) We need pictures of the finished product and 2) We need numbers!.... I'm happy you showed a fix to this but the question is "Was it worth it?'

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Will a 3/4" line flow even close to what that crossover once did? Must not be a big deal.

Hotcrawl

Reaction score
I kinda did the same thing. This is a killer build. Pt8285 with th400 and Holley EFI. Looking for 1000+ on e85 and 26-28lbs. Gonna be light car too

It's bullshit this intake fit like shit. Worst I've ever seen. But it looks so dang cool

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 30

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
The 3/4" pipe I'm using measures 7/8" ID. I agree after looking at it again I'm concerned there isn't enough flow. I'm going to make some adjustments. I'll post up pics later today.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea thats small, standard for engine coolant lines is -22 or 1.375" ID. I would at least want to be in the 1.25" range.

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
So here is what I ended up building. 3/4 pipe in back .850 ID and 1/2" pipe in front .625 ID. Total investment $50. I paid less than $425 for the intake with rails on a black Friday sale.

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good. I'm going with a black braided line.

I agree that will look much better than what I have. For the most part I just wanted to get it up and running so I could throw it on the dyno and see how it compared to the Ford racing intake I just removed. If everything works out well and there are no cooling issues or loss in performance I'll revamp it to make it look better.

I'm thinking shorter black braided in the front and a 1 piece aluminum pipe in the back painted or powered coated black to match the intake.

Last edited:

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
You had a 3v Boss intake? Never heard of that, or did you somehow mod a Coyote Boss intake to fit a 3v?

Sorry no I meant the Ford racing 3v intake. I had just ordered a Boss intake for a customer's car before I posted.

Hotcrawl

Reaction score
Sent my parts off to power coating!! I can't wait. This will be a fun summer!

Postman

forum member
Reaction score

Is the juice worth the squeeze? I'm not sure at this point.

I had to grind a little on the back of the TB to get it to mount flush against the intake. Hooking up the vac lines and the fuel lines were pretty easy.

The car started right up but there is a god forsaken noise coming from the plenum. The large flat surface area on the top of the intake vibrates making a hollow / tinny noise. Rest your hand on it at it goes away instantly. Remove your hand and it's back.

It must flow a little more air as it thru off my SHFT trims by about 10%. It ildes good and after about 50 miles I can say it drives fine however the noise is killing me. My car is a true sleeper. No heads or loud exhaust and the twin turbos muffle the fact there are no cats on the car. I can hear the noise while at cruz or at idle and it bugs the hell out of me.

The solution would be to weld a 1/4" thick x 1" wide aluminum rib down the middle of the intake to braces the big piece of thin sheet metal then have the intake powered coated again.

At this point even if it made an extra 50hp I'm just not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back