2013 GT500 Winter Wheels and Tires? 18's?`

stormy69

Bullitt
Reaction score
My son just bought a 13 gt500 and lives in Cheyenne Wyoming. Not having the common sense to leave it in the garage during adverse weather, he wants snow tires. I think he should get another set of wheels to go with.

Looking for wheel (and tire size) suggestions that will clear the brakes without spacers. 18's seem to have a wider all season/snow tire selection...

tia

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
There are only going to be a few 18" wheels with the right barrel shape and spoke clearance to go over the 15" Brembos. I doubt that the earlier GT-500 wheels will fit myself. I know Vorshlag was selling some wheels in 18" that go, but they are wide for track use.

You may be able to find less expensive wheels in 19" that would offset the extra cost of going to 19" winter tires. Maybe check out Discount Tire Direct?

cheers
Ed

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
OEM 07-10 GT500 18s will not fit the 15" rotors on the newer Shelby's. Best bet would be either the Brembo pack 19s that came on the 5.0s and toss a 255 winter tire on each corner, or grab a set of 11-12 GT500 OEM 19s and do the same with the 255. I happen to be selling a set of 19x9.5s for $600 but you can get the brembo pack wheels for a bit less if he's on a tighter budget.

stormy69

Bullitt
Reaction score
he did put all his disposable income toward the car not expecting to get stuck in his driveway lol. he has an 08 bullitt that he is now selling but this time of year and his enlisted military pay has stretched him to the limit and credit will be what gets the tires, or wheels and tires.

I did find some other threads that mention 18 inch amr wheels work but I don't want him to pull the trigger till we know for sure.

thanks for the insight guys, keep them coming :)

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
he did put all his disposable income toward the car not expecting to get stuck in his driveway lol. he has an 08 bullitt that he is now selling but this time of year and his enlisted military pay has stretched him to the limit and credit will be what gets the tires, or wheels and tires.

I did find some other threads that mention 18 inch amr wheels work but I don't want him to pull the trigger till we know for sure.

thanks for the insight guys, keep them coming :)

Ask Vorshlag. They know what 18" rims will actually fit. Most 18" will not fit. I believe it was only the 11+12" wide 18" rims that will clear the 15" brembo's. I'm pretty sure none of the 10" wide rims will clear. Might be a different story if a spacer is used. But you can only use a max of 3mm spacer with oem studs. You are pushing ur luck with a 5mm spacer. The 20mm and up spacers are all bolt on types. He's tested em all as far as 18" rims + 15" brembo's. IMO, 660+ crank hp + heavy car in winter time, with a manual tranny = plane nuts.

dmfracer

Reaction score
Beater Ford Ranger. You can get one for the same price as a good set of snow tires for the GT500. I got my '97 Cobra on Nitto 555's stuck in my flat driveway when I lived in Iowa - we had 1" of powdery snow.

I had a 1998 BMW M3 with really good Bridgestone snow tires - that thing was great in the snow.

Anyway, for your son I'd say winter beater - save the GT500 for summer.

Last edited:

stormy69

Bullitt
Reaction score
he has a 2014 awd edge for the wife/kids and the bullitt on the chopping block... he seems intent on tires. you cant make decisions for them...

DPE

forum member
Reaction score
SVE Drifts in 19x9.5" should clear, and are relatively cheap ($640 shipped for a set of four in black). Friend of mine has an S550 PP with the giant Brembos and he's running them with Pirelli snows right now; I'm thinking that's a very similar brake package to a 13-14 GT500.

As noted, very few 18s will fit, and I don't know of any cheap 18s that fit.

All that said, I still like the $2k winter beater option better. Doesn't even have to be a 4WD truck; old Subaru, or pretty much any old FWD car with decent tires will get him by.

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Those SVE wheels would be a good option with some 255/40R19 winter boots. Maybe the similar style AMR wheels from American Muscle which are available in 8.5" width would be a good choice too:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-amr-19x85-0513.html

That way he could put on 245/45R19 tires, more choices and less expensive than 255/40. And narrower is better for the winter, think skis vs. snowshoes.

cheers
Ed

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back