pig rich p2196 and 19.9 wideband

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
finally got the car back together, i had removed the supercharger and had it rebuilt by paxton. i reinstalled it, and now the car is running super rich, wideband is pegged at 19.9 (im guessing thats the limit of the gauge) and it threw a p2196 code. its running rich enough to choke you and burn your eyes after just letting it smooth out after starting it in the garage. i reloaded my tune to be safe, and even tried a different tune, and its no good. for what its worth, the car was stone dead and i had to hook it up to the chrager to let it rebuild some juice.

so where do i start? MAFia? stuck injector?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
wouldnt 19.9 be dead lean?

but if its rich enough to burn your eyes its obv rich

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
thats whats confusing me, itll choke you with the gas, but the wideband is reading lean

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If it's lean then it's probably unmetered air, like something didn't get hooked up. Does it (the a/f) come down after it goes into closed loop or is it staying in open loop? Could very well be something to do with the mafia or maybe you loaded the wrong tune?

If it goes into closed loop what are the fuel trims?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I haven't tried a closed loop yet, but if I load a tune, runs at 12-13

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So that code is for an o2 signal stuck rich. Not sure if it's for only one side but what you are smelling is probably correct.

One side could be a stuck injector like you mentioned. I wonder if a non firing cylinder would also give a rich condition? What would be the easiest way to determine an injector was stuck open? Maybe pull the rail and have someone turn the key on while you observed in a safe way that wouldn't start a fire?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
So I've determined that the sensor for the wideband is on its way out. When I swap it, I'm going to swap the two forward sensors and see if the code switches sides with it to see if the o2 sensor is going bad

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
wouldnt 19.9 be dead lean?

but if its rich enough to burn your eyes its obv rich

thats whats confusing me, itll choke you with the gas, but the wideband is reading lean

If it's lean then it's probably unmetered air, like something didn't get hooked up. Does it (the a/f) come down after it goes into closed loop or is it staying in open loop? Could very well be something to do with the mafia or maybe you loaded the wrong tune?

If it goes into closed loop what are the fuel trims?

It is possible to get a false lean condition with a wideband. O2 sensors read oxygen content, not fuel. If the mixture is so rich that it's misfiring or you're having an incomplete burn then you have lots of unburnt oxygen passing the O2 sensor. So even though it's running pig rich you can have a false positive as lean.

Not saying this is the case for you but it is possible.

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
so i swapped the front o2 sensors and cleared the 2196 code to see if the sensor was bad. still got the same code. im guessing my next step is to try and get lito to check out a data log and see if there is something in the tune

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
If all you did was reinstall your rebuilt SC, I'd start by checking the airflow that's going past the maf sensor and making sure your pipe connections are solid and vac lines tight, BOV is operating properly being wide open at idle and give the maf sensor a cleaning. Why did you have your SC rebuilt? If was for a blown out the mechanical seal you would of put oil in the air system and coated the MAF sensor. Your STFT should provide some good info.

As far as the gauge, 19.8 reading is a full 5v to the gauge pegged, try and measure the 0-5v that goes to your gauge from the o2 sensor and see if your changing voltage, if it does you may have to recalibrate your WB and reinstall the slope and intersect. if it doesn't could be the wide band sensor.

Should be something simple

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i have to double check the piping, but i already removed and cleaned the MAF. i did the rebuild because it was passing oil. i have to get the car up in the air again this week to recalibrate the wideband.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
so i decided to pull one of the plugs to see if there was anything unusual...

dicMHa8.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that's nasty... and the plug doesn't look too good either

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
A plug not firing sure will get you your false lean condition. Glad you figured it out!

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
not entirely sure if that is the issue yet, got ngks coming from amazon tomorrow. ill swap them out and see what happens next

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
As a precaution I would drop the intercooler and flush out any oil, they act like big catch cans when you have leaky blower seals, especially if they are engine oil fed lubricaton units.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
yeah ill definitely do that. it actually sounds like there may be a vacuum leak somewhere, but i cant find it, so i want to take a look at the line to the BOV anyway

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back