AnotherS197GT's Coyote Swap: The Valve Dropper Special

06Coyote

Reaction score
What upgrades are you going to do to the MT82? Bronze shift pads? Cryogenic treatment of the gears? Anything else?

What's wrong with your MT82? Where are you going to get parts?

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
The guy I bought it from said it had a bent shift fork, but going through it I believe it just has a chewed up pad.

I'm going to do a "Stage 1" kit from Collin @ Racing Integration. Brass shift pads, steel rail stop, modded shift forks, and some other tricks. I'm not going crazy with it since it's just a daily driver and won't be seeing boost for a while. I just want something that is upgraded over stock and hopefully won't give me shifting issues.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The trans got dropped off with Collin last night. 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear were all chewed up, but he said they shouldn't cost too much to replace. Hoping to have it in the car in the next few weeks. Just need to find some time to get it over to my buddies shop so I can use his lift. I'm tired of dropping transmissions on my back!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Swapped intake cams on the car today. No more F150 intake cams. The car definitely pulls harder now and will actually do something past 6K RPM besides make noise. The cam swap wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. A little time consuming, but it seems almost impossible to screw it up. While I was in there, I almost replaced the F-150 oil pump with a Mustang pump.

I may go work on cleaning the wiring up some more tomorrow. I wanted to do it today, but I took too long on the cam swap. Ignore the two random wires, those are trans related and will be gone once the MT82 goes in. I didn't want to spend the time wrapping them up if they were just going to come out in a couple weeks. I wish I had some before pictures.

32305031383_2fcdbe6190_b.jpg

32305030493_aa1c3768ba_b.jpg
32305031053_44196320b1_b.jpg

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Thanks,I'm going with Comp Cams, Boss intake and OP gears

giphy.gif

Do an oil pan gasket at the same time. Not only will dropping the pan make changing the pump easier, the Mustangs have a gasket with a built in windage tray while the trucks don't.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The worst part about yesterday was trying to get the pump bolts out with the oil pan on lol. Or maybe having to rip everything apart again because a secondary timing chain guide fell off when I wasn't paying attention. It's a toss up.

travelers

Reaction score
I had no problems getting the oil pump bolts out, it was the fun of getting them back in. I used a gearwrench with tape on it to hold it on and a 90* angle pick to hold pressure on the head to get it started and then just ratchet it on.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The first MT-82 I bought was a complete bust. I knew it was a gamble and it just didn't work out for me. Gears 1-4 were stripped and synchros/hubs for 1-6 were destroyed too. I was quoted $2100 to repair all the damage and still do the Stage 1 rebuild. I decided I didn't want to spend that much on an MT82, so I started looking around for a stock transmission to use instead. I picked one up last night from a 2016 with less than 20k miles for $800. Heres hoping that this one is in better shape than the last!

The plan is to just throw it in the car and hope for the best. I went with a trans from an S550 because they are supposed to be better than the 11-14 transmissions. All you have to do is swap the output flange and bolt to the 11-14 (which i have from the previous trans) and slap it in the car.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Did some more wiring today. I think I'm going to leave it alone now. i'm pretty happy with how clean everything is now. There are some things I may revisit in the future, but there really isn't much more I can do without really ripping the car apart.

The AC was rewired, so no more wire running down the drivers side and no more relay under the hood. As soon as I get a revised tune, the AC should be working again. The accelerator pedal was wired into the existing 3V body harness, so I was able to remove that jumble of wiring running around the engine bay. The reverse light wiring was hidden a little bit and I may try to find another way to run it. Speed sensor wiring will be removed soon with the MT82 swap.

I miss the black intake manifold, so I may paint this one black.

33371224896_4ef66931d1_b.jpg

33371223486_22c4418ba9_b.jpg

33371224366_4ea766f82a_b.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back