AnotherS197GT's Coyote Swap: The Valve Dropper Special

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
In on the results. Looks like an epic build! I bet 5.0 swaps are going to become a lot more common in the next few years as they become cheaper.

Combined with the inability to source 3v parts. Aluminum blocks are already nonexistent.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As the higher mileage S197's become rolling chassis, probably see more of these coyote swaps.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Im not doinig this swap till there is a swap kit and a wire harness! I dont have the patience! LOL

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
Im not doinig this swap till there is a swap kit and a wire harness! I dont have the patience! LOL

Good luck with that lol. It's not as simple as needing a harness. There are a lot things that need to be changed in the 3V body harness as well.

Some more parts showed up today. Coil covers, engine cover, Mustang intake manifold (not sure if I will be using this or the truck intake), some stock over axle pipes, Mustang crank pulley, a replacement throttle body, and replacement VCT solenoid. As long as I can find my missing exhaust manifolds, I should be able to get the front of the car and the engine buttoned up this week.

Oops, wrong account.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Had to order an alternator pulley removal tool. In order to use the PBH bracket kit with a manual alternator, you have to switch to a non-clutched pulley. It should be here Friday along with the rest of the goodies. Amazon Prime has saved my ass this week. I've more than made my money back on the two day shipping.

I did the same thing! Thank God for Amazon Prime or else I would have lost my ass having to order just about every tool that wasn't a socket or a wrench!

You'd hate how my garage looks right now then

Haha mine too, I still have car parts sprawled out everywhere!!

The engine showed up, there was a broken TB plug and VCT solenoid. Disappointing, but used TBs are all over the place and I'm sure I can get a VCT solenoid cheap and fast. I will be contacting the seller to see if they will cover at least the solenoid.

I think I still have my old TB if you need it. I'm pretty sure I have my VCT solenoids, but I was getting VCT code before the engine let go and I have no idea if they were a culprit or not. If I still have them, you are more then welcome to them

I am annoyed right now at the clips for the coil packs. I had 7 on this engine and now I am down to 3. It appears that 4 just evaporated and I can't find them. Available only through Ford with the purchase of a pigtail.

Is that the clips on the engine harness or just the coil packs? I have all 8 of my coil packs if you want them, I can send you down all out no charge.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer(s), Sean. I traded my last 3V block to a shop for a ton of stock 5.0 parts. They were kind enough to toss in a good TB for me. I also grabbed a solenoid for $18 from the dealership.

Unfortunately, it is the clips on the harness that are broken. They are only available with a $25 pigtail from Ford.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Pull the pins from the plugs, put them in the coil packs in the corresponding position, fill connector area with epoxy. Just make sure they're good packs first. Sucks to undo that process.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Pull the pins from the plugs, put them in the coil packs in the corresponding position, fill connector area with epoxy. Just make sure they're good packs first. Sucks to undo that process.

nope.gif

I will use the slightly less permanent zip ties lol. I'll save my $125 and spend $.12 on zip ties.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
What, don't you want to use the old school, on a road trip, stuck at a gas station, parking lot hacks? I thought this was roadkill.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmmm I forget if I threw my old harness away or not. I will dig through my parts bin and see if I still have it.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Hmmmm I forget if I threw my old harness away or not. I will dig through my parts bin and see if I still have it.

That would be awesome if you still have it. If you find it, would you PM me a price for 5 of the COP pigtails? I'd like to have the full pigtail to switch out.

Really? lol

I think I have the A/C figured out. Lol.

It certainly helps to have a knowledgeable friend to help you out and answer a million stupid questions!

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
If you need something and I have it, it is yours haha. I have to start emptying out my garage lol.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
AC..............nah......overrated especially in Tampa!!! LOL

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Getting closer! Last night I got the exhaust on and the top of the engine buttoned up. Clearanced the timing cover a little more for the alternator as well. Tonight I plan to get the rest of the accessories buttoned up and will be swapping motor mounts back out. Fuel system stuff came in yesterday, so I may start on that as well. My clutch is toast, so I will probably get a replacement ordered up from Exedy today.

28719254635_9f454ca1b4_b.jpg

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
Getting closer! Last night I got the exhaust on and the top of the engine buttoned up. Clearanced the timing cover a little more for the alternator as well. Tonight I plan to get the rest of the accessories buttoned up and will be swapping motor mounts back out. Fuel system stuff came in yesterday, so I may start on that as well. My clutch is toast, so I will probably get a replacement ordered up from Exedy today.

28719254635_9f454ca1b4_b.jpg

Your making good progress. Interesting place for the alternator as the GTs are down on the lower left of the engine. I guess your power steering pump is there now. '11 and up use electric power steering.

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Come on. White boys work fast don’t they?

I don't play around!

Your making good progress. Interesting place for the alternator as the GTs are down on the lower left of the engine. I guess your power steering pump is there now. '11 and up use electric power steering.

Yes, the PBH bracket kit keeps the PS pump in the same spot as stock, but the Coyote intake sits much lower in the valley compared to a 4.6, so it has to go somewhere.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Wiring was started tonight, accessories are almost finished up. I'm trying to figure out how to run my PS lines. One shoots down right into the sway bar bushing saddles. I also need to order an idler pulley from the dealership. My 3V pulley is too large. Getting closer! Unfortunately I won't be able to do any work from Thursday to Monday. I would LOVE to have the fuel system done tomorrow and the PS/idler finished up. I have to notch my air box at work tomorrow to clear the ABS lines. I also need to figure out PS reservoir location. I should have just gone to EPAS.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back