Stripes

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a set of dual black ford racing stripes, was wondering if anyone had suggestions or tips on putting them on?

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Do you mean have a pro do it or you just don't like stripes? Already got them in a trade, no sense in not using them

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Do you mean have a pro do it or you just don't like stripes? Already got them in a trade, no sense in not using them

Let me put it this way, I think I'd rather have teeth pulled than remove vinyl stripes. The longer they are on the car, they worse they look and harder they become to remove.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Let me put it this way, I think I'd rather have teeth pulled than remove vinyl stripes. The longer they are on the car, they worse they look and harder they become to remove.

If the rocker ones are similar at all, those werent bad to remove. Once you take off the actual decal, an DA polisher + goo gone or WD40 takes care of adhesive and residue. I'll take that into consideration though

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
A Lil Chizler and some 3M adhesive remover is the way to go for stubborn stripes.

My advice for stripes is to use some masking tape to set up the correct alignment of the stripes. You can then slide the vinyl up to the tape to get a perfect alignment.

'14StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Years ago, I put some stripes on a show truck of mine, but I had hem painted on, wet sanded down and clear coated over - came out great.

Post some pics, when you get them on.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I debated having them painted on, but I got the kit for free in a trade , plus its not permenant. I'll definitely throw some pics up. Just finished paint correction work and can now put some thought into the stripes. Still want to see some more videos and advice before putting them on

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Unless you are just dying to do it yourself, you may want to at least get an estimate from a local sign/sticker/decal shop. I had a very reasonable estimate to do my vinyl roof wrap, and I was going to let the guy do it, until my wife talked me into putting it on with her assistance. It came out fine, but it didn't have to be "straight." :)

I'd be scared I'd get the stripes crooked or something!

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed a set of 10" black racing stripes on my car and they came out fine. I was quoted $450 to have them installed at a shop and there was no way I was going to pay that. Best tips I can give you are these:

1). Install one stripe at a time. Do NOT try to do them both at the same time. Trust me on this one. I used a straight edge to separate the stripes so I could install them one at a time.

2). Use painters tape right down the center of all areas getting stripes. Use a tape measure to make sure the painters tape stays dead center. Then align the stripes to the edge of the painters tape and you'll have no worries that they are straight.

3). If doing the wet method of install then understand there is no such thing as spraying too much soap and water mixture. Make sure you spray both the back of the stripe and the car.

4). Once you have the stripe in exact position then use the squeegee to remove the water mixture starting from the center and working your way to the edges. Then walk away for 15 minutes to give the stripe a chance to set a little bit before you remove the top paper. This should keep the paper from shifting the stripe on you while you pull the paper off (pulling very slowly and carefully).

5). If you need to squeegee the stripe after the top paper has been removed make sure you wrap the squeegee in a towel or something that will be soft enough not to leave any scratches or marks on your stripe.

6). Take your time. Don't rush through this and make sure you work out every little bubble no matter how small. Use a pin if needed but don't move on to the next section of stripe until you have completely worked out all bubbles and creases from the current one.

Last edited:

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed a set of 10" black racing stripes on my car and they came out fine. I was quoted $450 to have them installed at a shop and there was no way I was going to pay that. Best tips I can give you are these:

1). Install one stripe at a time. Do NOT try to do them both at the same time. Trust me on this one. I used a straight edge to separate the stripes so I could install them one at a time.

2). Use painters tape right down the center of all areas getting stripes. Use a tape measure to make sure the painters tape stays dead center. Then align the stripes to the edge of the painters tape and you'll have no worries that they are straight.

3). If doing the wet method of install then understand there is no such thing as spraying too much soap and water mixture. Make sure you spray both the back of the stripe and the car.

4). Once you have the stripe in exact position then use the squeegee to remove the water mixture starting from the center and working your way to the edges. Then walk away for 15 minutes to give the stripe a chance to set a little bit before you remove the top paper. This should keep the paper from shifting the stripe on you while you pull the paper off (pulling very slowly and carefully).

5). If you need to squeegee the stripe after the top paper has been removed make sure you wrap the squeegee in a towel or something that will be soft enough not to leave any scratches or marks on your stripe.

6). Take your time. Don't rush through this and make sure you work out every little bubble no matter how small. Use a pin if needed but don't move on to the next section of stripe until you have completely worked out all bubbles and creases from the current one.

I god advice from the guy at my county PD who does the police decals, he said the same thing, painters tape, take your time, he suggested windex for the wet application, also said on e finished to put the car out in the sun

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Update- Attempted the spoiler as a starting point. Stripes were kinda old and not coming off correctly, still usable, just more difficult to deal with. Ended up deciding not to go through with it. If anyone wants a ford racing spoilerless stripe kit, pm me. Not gonna use it.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Advice: don't start popping holes with a pin. They will dissipate after awhile.

IMG_0442-1_zpse4228868.jpg

IMG_0448-1_zpsacdb7d59.jpg

IMG_0450_zps97013701.jpg

IMG_8580_zpse721b2b6.jpg

Last edited:

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Wasnt going to do that! Lol, thanks for the tip. For reference, in your 2nd pic that backing wouldnt stay on. So basically we had the bare stripe taken off and couldnt take just the adhesive off.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
How much stretch can you get from the vinyl stripes? Mine has them only on the hood and whoever put them on didn't do the best job. I would like to redo them, but I would go all the way down the front. So how do you get them where the front license plate dimple is? If you heat them will they stretch well enough to go down that and look decent? Otherwise I will just paint them on, but I really don't want to spend that kind of $$. I would need to re-clear the entire hood, front bumper, decklid, etc after painting the stripes correct?

This forum needs a body and paint section.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
How much stretch can you get from the vinyl stripes? Mine has them only on the hood and whoever put them on didn't do the best job. I would like to redo them, but I would go all the way down the front. So how do you get them where the front license plate dimple is? If you heat them will they stretch well enough to go down that and look decent? Otherwise I will just paint them on, but I really don't want to spend that kind of $$. I would need to re-clear the entire hood, front bumper, decklid, etc after painting the stripes correct?

Want my set? $85 for dual glossy black 10" stripes, doesnt have the rear spoiler stripes. Its made for a GT, the stripes aren't long enough for a GT/CS bumper. I don't think they stretch at all, but you can cut off any excess. I remember with the hood there was an inch or so extra of stripe on the top and bottom. After trying the rear spoiler stripes I gave up, too much of a Pita for me. The rear stripes went around the plate holder, canmt remember how they worked with the front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score

You should not clear over wide stripes... you can get away with clear on 1/8" stripes and narrower but that is about it.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
You should not clear over wide stripes... you can get away with clear on 1/8" stripes and narrower but that is about it.

What?

He's talking about painted stripes and clear. Not vinyl and clear.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I'd paint stripes on too after seeing what a bad detail job can do to vinyl. At least with the paint option, you can treat it like the rest of the car.

Roush did it on the 11-14 cars, and it looked pretty damn good.

21-2012-roush-rs3-colors.jpg

ohypertigernobannert.jpg

32-2012-roush-rs3-mustang.jpg

2012-roush-stage3-mustang-12.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back