Manual Trans problem solving

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, ive looked and used the search but cant find an exact awnser. If its already posted please point me in the direction, Thanks!

2011 5.0, its got a early 2010 build date so I'm sure it was one of the first out there. ive had the car since march 2013. ive got about 75k miles on it and I'm pretty confident that the clutch is going out. Its my daily and I beat on it often not gonna lie.

the simple way to put it is, when I shift at high rpm.. id say anything over 4500 rpm into 3rd gear it grinds. clutch fully pressed to the floor. grinds ever time. is it a bad syncro? or what I was thinking was maybe the clutch/slave is going bad and not disengaging all the way and whatnot. anything to help would be ideal.

also, I'm gonna swap brake/clutch fluid here soon. is there any threads on the designated clutch resivoiors? l know guys use the GTO ones, I was just wondering what all I need to do the install.

Thanks!!

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I had 105K mi. on my '11 by the time I traded it in. Every once in a while if I was moving shift anywhere from 3K - 4,500K, it'd "snag" going into 3rd. Did a trans. drain/fill and it was like butter. Stock clutch the whole way.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
There is a place in Maryland called Revolution Automotive that rebuilds and offers several upgrade options for the MT-82 Git-rag. They have an excellent reputation and their pricing is reasonable. They require you to ship to them and pay return shipping so if you have a local shop with a commercial account and they will assist you can reduce that cost a bit. Maybe you are fortunate to live very close to Maryland and can take the tranny to them direct.

If you haven't done so yet invest the clams in an MGW shifter. The latest and greatest is even better. I had the gen II and it was like butter and saved me a ton of missed shifts. I also upgraded the clutch to an Exedy Mach 500 and mated flywheel since I was throwing a lot more HP at the car also. Additionally added the JPC upgraded feed line as well. I never removed the assist spring and never once had the clutch stick to the floor. I never power shifted but I didn't let any time lapse between shifts either. And entrance ramps are launch pads not merging lanes ! LOL!

The reservoir is a personal thing. I never did it. It may help it may not help. The 05 I had never had any issues neither did the 13 (though I am shocked the 13 didn't).

75K is a pretty good life on a clutch setup. It could be contributing to your problem but I would suspect bigger issues are at hand inside the tranny.

Google Revolution Automotive to find their website. You can email them for pricing.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
Bob Hanlon at Hanlon motorsports. Call him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
I had 105K mi. on my '11 by the time I traded it in. Every once in a while if I was moving shift anywhere from 3K - 4,500K, it'd "snag" going into 3rd. Did a trans. drain/fill and it was like butter. Stock clutch the whole way.

What did you fill it with?

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the help guys, I was real busy this weekend and wasn't around my computer. I should have specified I already have an MGW and its great, it was doing this 3rd gear scratch before and after the install. At first I thought it was my terrible driving but I can roll in the car at really high rpms in second, then shift as slow as possible into third and it scratches, theres no getting around it. only in 3rd, only above 4500 rpm.

thing that sucks is I live in the Midwest, Illinois, about 2 hours away from STL and 5 hours away from Chicago, nowhere near any of these places. and the car is my daily, so no downtime in my near future. if I was going to pull the trans id rather just swap to a tremec I would imagine for the cost of shipping and labor.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
ive also replaced my fluid with Amsoil, I forgot the weight but I know it was right, I searched on the fourms for a long time for it haha. I was thinking maybe I need to swap to a heavier weight? since it gets pretty cold here. that and a clutch swap

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
KonaBlueBryar,

MTF is the stuff for cold climates and MTG is the stuff for hot climates. I tried MTG but even in Missouri, it took a couple of shifts to reach slick action. The MTF gives excellent feel and no nibbling. Since I changed my oil, there has appeared a 'recipe' on the interwebs that uses 2 MTF and 1 MTG -- but please note that I don't remember if this is correct (sorry). Ford also has an additive, XL-18 (??), that is supposed to work well.

Contrary to what we mortals might think, the guys who know say that there is not much difference in viscosity between the MTG and MTF oils. I can just repeat that the MTG stuff gives a little nibble when cold (40 F and lower temperatures) whereas the MTF works nicely all the time (in my experience).

HTH,

Chris

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
There is a place in Maryland called Revolution Automotive that rebuilds and offers several upgrade options for the MT-82 Git-rag. They have an excellent reputation and their pricing is reasonable. They require you to ship to them and pay return shipping so if you have a local shop with a commercial account and they will assist you can reduce that cost a bit. Maybe you are fortunate to live very close to Maryland and can take the tranny to them direct.

If you haven't done so yet invest the clams in an MGW shifter. The latest and greatest is even better. I had the gen II and it was like butter and saved me a ton of missed shifts. I also upgraded the clutch to an Exedy Mach 500 and mated flywheel since I was throwing a lot more HP at the car also. Additionally added the JPC upgraded feed line as well. I never removed the assist spring and never once had the clutch stick to the floor. I never power shifted but I didn't let any time lapse between shifts either. And entrance ramps are launch pads not merging lanes ! LOL!

The reservoir is a personal thing. I never did it. It may help it may not help. The 05 I had never had any issues neither did the 13 (though I am shocked the 13 didn't).

75K is a pretty good life on a clutch setup. It could be contributing to your problem but I would suspect bigger issues are at hand inside the tranny.

Google Revolution Automotive to find their website. You can email them for pricing.

Ben is on his own now..unaffiliated.

The biggest issue with the trans in these is the stock clutch. Replace that with a proven unit and the trans will live for a bit. If you want to push it, have Ben build it with the brass shift pads and hardened internals.

I ran RP 75w90 gear oil in my 2011 along with a RAM 9.5 dual disc and had 0 issues.

https://www.facebook.com/Getragmt82/

This is the only person you need to talk to. Dont listen to anyone else. Ben knows this transmission better than anyone.

+1

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
ive thought about adding the XL18, but I might have tot take you up on the MTF and MTG. and yes, I agree I'm going to need a new clutch. like I said above, not very fond on down time since its my daily. maybe ill replace the clutch since I know that's going to need it soon and see if it fixes the scratching problem

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Ben is on his own now..unaffiliated.

The biggest issue with the trans in these is the stock clutch. Replace that with a proven unit and the trans will live for a bit. If you want to push it, have Ben build it with the brass shift pads and hardened internals.

Is this guy under his own name or does he have a company name he is working under?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back