Winter Tires

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, it is that time of year. Been looking on tire rack for a winter tire and rim set to use on the ecoboost over the winter. The ecobeast is not getting parked for the winter like my 08.

Looks like the number one popular tire is the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80.

Anyone ran that tire and what are the rest of my Northern tier brothers running?

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
I ran Firestone Winterforce (I think that was the name) on my 08 when I lived in MI. They were great tires and cheaper than Blizzaks when I purchased them. I got a full set, installed for $400. They lasted 3 or 4 winters before I moved away and sold them to another guy. They still had plenty of life left in them. Traction was never an issue with them.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I have Brembo brake package so my factory tire is a 245-40-19. Winter I have Pirelli Sottozero tires. I have spare set of wheels I bought cheap that are 18s to clear the Brembo brakes. Plus on 18, I can run a little more side wall for better winter traction. My winter size is 245-45-18. Straight line traction in 40 and lower is near summer tire grip, light snow is fantastic and rain. However taking off ramps hard on the tires, best way to describe it is more body roll? Not a huge fan of taking off ramps really fast with them. But happy in straight lines with them. Think I paid 1400 for wheels, wheel sensors, tires mount and balanced plus shipped in from tire rack last year. Bought them as a winter package

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Another vote here for the Firestone Winterforce tires.
I've used them on several cars and they've always worked awesome.
And much cheaper than Blizzaks which have to pay for all that advertising.
When's the last time you saw an ad for the Winterforce?
I even had them on my AWD Charger, and they made that car incredible in the snow.
Could not get stuck.
And I tried, lol

2009_12-20_snow-7.jpg

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Bridgestone Blizzaks were freaking awesome on my 05. Drove 26 miles each way for work. 5 inches of unplowed powder and the car drove like it was on rails at 35mph. Drove as well with a pair of those on the back as any front wheel drive I ever had.

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
I ran Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires for the one winter I drove the mustang through.
I chose them because they are a bit better to drive on in dry weather while still holding their own in snow, so I could still drive spiritedly when it was dry but too cold for summer tires.
The downside was I got stuck in my own driveway a couple times when I didn't shovel. Probably would have gotten stuck on any tire as the snow was deeper than my ride height. Never once had any issues on the street even in snow.

tomkay

forum member
Reaction score
I've run both Blizzaks and Winter Force on my cars through the years and still swear by the Winter Force tires. When studded they are unbeatable.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
i dont reccomend studded tires.

the noise and added cost is just not worth the imcremental grip on sheer ice.
I have expereience with Altimax Arctic and Nokian Hakka 7's studded.

actually, if you can find the Altimax Arcitic (unstudded) anymore. they are very good. not as good as blizzak or X-ice, but for the price, way better than the firestone's. excellent value. would buy again.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've run both Blizzaks and Winter Force on my cars through the years and still swear by the Winter Force tires. When studded they are unbeatable.

i dont reccomend studded tires.

the noise and added cost is just not worth the imcremental grip on sheer ice.
I have expereience with Altimax Arctic and Nokian Hakka 7's studded.

actually, if you can find the Altimax Arcitic anymore. they are very good. not as good as blizzak or X-ice, but for the price, way better than the firestone's. excellent value. would buy again.

No studs allowed in MN for a long time.

Chris91

Reaction score
I too have run the Blizzaks and would purchase them again in an instant. Actually considering picking up some for my son being he will be driving his new mustang in our lovely Ohio weather.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
However taking off ramps hard on the tires, best way to describe it is more body roll?
Chances are that's exactly what you were seeing. Tires have their own stiffnesses, and the transfer of load from inside to outside compresses the outboard tires and unloads the inboard ones. The softer the tires used, the greater this component of total body roll gets. Separately, you were probably rolling the outboard tires under to a greater extent.

The attached picture illustrates this pretty good (compare inboard vs outboard front tire sidewall heights). That it isn't a Mustang is irrelevant. No, the outboard front wheel was not scraping the ground, and with 7" wide wheels for 205-wide tires the tires weren't rolling under the wheels as much as they would with "measuring width" wheels (6.5") or narrower.

Norm

Attachments

• 85EP 04May08 7.jpg
    85EP 04May08 7.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I've been running Nitto snows lately. I've run Firestones, Coopers, Michelins, Bridgestones, Nokians, Goodyears, and Kelly's over the years. I prefer the Nittos. Problem is the sizing. 235/55R18 is the closest they come, but it should clear without any issue.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back