Machine shop vs. crate shortblock

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
I searched this and didn't find anything real recent. Looking to do a shortblock upgrade on my Procharged 06 GT and wanted to get some take from the Forum on which way to go.
There is a world class engine builder \machine shop near where I live. He will do a build on my shortblock with me bringing it to him for $4500-5000.
I can get an MMR 600 shortblock delivered for $3850, with the prices from different vendors going up from there. I have read some pretty negative reviews on MMR and wondered if there is any consensus on them good or bad?
I'm looking for the obligatory forged internals that would be happy into the 550whp range.
Any advice or suggestions on which way to go much appreciated.
Thanks.
Jack

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MMR.... :thud:

search for their success....

as far as recent vs. older threads.... the builds/parts haven't changed.

there's so many choices for what internals are used that the $4500-5000 price is hard to comment on without knowing what's going in.

lastly - moved, please review the tech posting rules

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
Mmr I've heard bad things about also. I went with the Brenspeed b326 block. Little more expensive but it has a warranty with it. I have Paxton 1200 sl, meth, and I'm at 578/522 at 14lbs of boost. Spend a little more now and don't worry about it. Spend a little now and you'll be spending a lot more later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Will probably go with the machine shop build. This guy Don Burlington in Liberty Mo. has not only a long successful record as an engine builder, he has also built a number of 4.6 3 valve motors.
It appears that unless you are going 5k + the crate motors can be problematic. The MMR engines as an example.
Sorry for parking this in the wrong place, new guy and all that.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FRPP used to make the Aluminator, it was a good shortblock, I don't think they are available any more, however, if you can find one, that's a solid choice.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
I just purchased the Ford B53 from Tasca. $4800 to the door with new oil pump already installed. I ordered it on Monday and it was at my house on Wednesday. I have a 2006 GT with twin turbos. So far so good. I'm over 700 at the tires.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
straight fuck MMR, fuckers sent me the WRONG PISTONS and I didn't even think to measure them.. ended up in the engine now I have an 8.5 cr instead of 9.8

46addict

Reaction score
Mmr I've heard bad things about also. I went with the Brenspeed b326 block. Little more expensive but it has a warranty with it. I have Paxton 1200 sl, meth, and I'm at 578/522 at 14lbs of boost. Spend a little more now and don't worry about it. Spend a little now and you'll be spending a lot more later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that with stock heads/cams/intake manifold?

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
That B53 from Tasca is very interesting and the $4800 to the door very doable on my budget.
Any other experiences out there with this setup?
Heck of a discount from msrp.

Last edited:

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Nevertheless, MMR is off my shortlist.
The odd thing is the Lund rep who tuned my car recommend them when the talk turned to options for more power and a shortblock build.
Right now that 5.3 from Ford Racing is occupying 1st place on the Christmas list!

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Since it sounds like the rods, pistons and related parts are the weak link in the 3v, is there a kit out there you all would recommend that would let my mechanic replace what needs replacing and leave the block, crank etc alone?
Trying to save some $ if possible.
By the way the one guy in Boynton Fla never returned my voicemail.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back