First time at track

WuStangClan

forum member
Reaction score
Yesterday was the first time I took my 2007 GT 5 speed to the track. Wondering if anyone can help me out with understanding where I should be improving, or how much time could be improved with more seat time.
Mods to the car:
LCA's, 4.10 gear, JLT cold air intake, off-road pro chamber.
My time is from the right lane.
Any information, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Not bad reaction time. Am pretty new to the track too. Just went Friday for the 2nd time. Am learning most of it is seat time and trying different RPM launches. What PSI are you running on your Tires? I am street tires and 50 PSI in the front, 25-27 PSI in the rear. I found no different times on my tires weather was 27 or took down to 25 in the rear.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Not bad for a first time out. Depending on what tires you have on the rear you can trim that 60' down, good times are all in the 60'. Your mph is good for 12's.

WuStangClan

forum member
Reaction score
Tires are the stock 245 x18 Pirellis. I changed nothing with the air pressure, so I'd guesstimate about 35 PSI. Is there any tips on getting the 60' down? I'd love to be able to run 12's even 12.9999 would be fine be me. I tried launching at higher rpm's but would just spin. Wasn't the easiest thing to watch the tree and try launching at a consistent rpm. I guess I just need more and more practice.

WuStangClan

forum member
Reaction score
Only tip I got at the track that seemed to work really well was to leave on the last yellow. My first reaction times were like .600! I had about 5 runs in and they all were within .2 of each other. What would a good 60' to shot for with this setup?

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
If your just spinning and your rear tire 35 PSI, they need to be lowered so there is more tire contact. Lower the PSI to 25-27 and that should help with the 60ft. On street tires are you going around the water box? As you should do a dry burn out on street tires and not go through the water box.

WuStangClan

forum member
Reaction score
Yup went around the water box every run. Didn't want to try a burnout and make myself look like a total first timer. Hopefully going to go back at least one more time before the weather turns. I'll try airing down a bit and see what improvements I can make.

46addict

Reaction score
You should definitely do a quick dry burnout at least to get the dirt off your tires. No need to hold the car on the brakes, just dump the clutch as you pull up to the line and let the wheels spin.
Play with the launch rpm and leave at the highest rpm without spinning the wheels and you may need to slip the clutch a bit.
Definitely lower your tire pressure, but too low of an air pressure can bog down your launches.

When you're experimenting with these variables change only one thing at a time so if something works against you, you will know what to undo.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, you should leave on the last yellow to try and get a good reaction time. But I wouldn't even worry about that right now, practice bringing the rpm to what you want and try to hold it there. You can go whenever you want, you might get a crappy reaction time, but your ET doesn't start until your car moves.

ski

forum member
Reaction score
12's or even low 13's:
- More seat time
- Slip the clutch off the line
- Power shift
- Mine shaft air
- Did I mention more seat time?

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure how your track gets prepped but at ours I don't go around the water box and do about a 5-10sec. burnout in second gear at 1/2 throttle or so and on my 255 street tires at 25psi I can launch at 3000rom dumping the clutch and just get a small chirp off the line. I was running 450rwhp and this worked great. over 3500rpm nothing but spin, 2500-3000rom gave me some excellent launches and I was running 4.10's as well. Might not work for everyone but that is what seems to work for me in my 06 GT.

46addict

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I was shifting at about 6k, maybe a touch higher

No need to go beyond 6k on stock cams.

Not sure how your track gets prepped but at ours I don't go around the water box and do about a 5-10sec. burnout in second gear at 1/2 throttle or so and on my 255 street tires at 25psi I can launch at 3000rom dumping the clutch and just get a small chirp off the line. I was running 450rwhp and this worked great. over 3500rpm nothing but spin, 2500-3000rom gave me some excellent launches and I was running 4.10's as well. Might not work for everyone but that is what seems to work for me in my 06 GT.

What kind of 60' times were you getting by doing this?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back