Which track car to get? Your opinions please.

Voltwings

Reaction score
Math+Logic FTW.

I have to wonder if you can even afford to actually have a dedicated track car, not trying to be mean in any way. I mean, I don't even think keeping tires on it will be the biggest expense. Are you sure this is something you want to do?

I really like an S2k, lightweight, good horsepower, good chassis, looks good. No torque but just rev it higher lol.

The simple answer is yes. When we first started tracking i was working a low paying accounting job trying to keep tires on the mustang. I am back in school at the moment for a second degree in mechanical engineering, so hopefully when i graduate i will be making a decent bit every year. So like i said, the simple answer is yes. However, i've kind of put our lives on hold right now to go back to school, so when i graduate its going to be house, dog, kids... things like that in short order, so i cant afford to dump every penny i have into the cars.

On a side note with the S2k, they're almost getting a cult classic following at this point. People are way too proud of their S2ks and trying to sell models with 100K+ miles for high teens ... no thank you.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
My son-in-law built a marvelous S2000 for autocross and HPDE. It was really, really fast, and didn't take a fortune to reach top five-percent capability. Just one problem: when driven to the edge, it was very quick to go over and difficult to manage. I suppose that's true of any envelope-pushing vehicle, but should be a serious consideration when the basic plan is to be entertained, as opposed to winning at all costs.

I had a sense that your lives-on-hold was part of the reason you came here and turned a question into a correspondence career. The Process has become the Point. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Forums are founded on the principle that Opinions Are Cheap and Easily Rejected.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
LS swap S2000?
I've seen one at a local show last year, looked nicely put together

Voltwings

Reaction score
I had a sense that your lives-on-hold was part of the reason you came here and turned a question into a correspondence career. The Process has become the Point. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Forums are founded on the principle that Opinions Are Cheap and Easily Rejected.

I dont mean to sound argumentative or dismissive if that's how i'm coming across. Its just a big decision and i want to give it the thought and research it deserves. I figure there are tons of good cars out there with tons of "pros," so the best way to make the decision rather is based on the cons. I have been on tons of forums for tons of platforms and basically seeing what everyone's "weak points" are.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Weak points of the s197 are definitely weight and the fact that it takes some money in mods to make them good on track. Other cars you can toss better pads and fluids on and go kick butt. Do you have an actual number price wise for this? I'm assuming low teens like 13k or so for a car based off your current options. Can it be a $8k car with $5k in mods or how is the breakdown happening?

Voltwings

Reaction score
Weak points of the s197 are definitely weight and the fact that it takes some money in mods to make them good on track. Other cars you can toss better pads and fluids on and go kick butt. Do you have an actual number price wise for this? I'm assuming low teens like 13k or so for a car based off your current options. Can it be a $8k car with $5k in mods or how is the breakdown happening?

I had a very rough number of $15k in mind. So the thing then is there are good cars like C5 vettes in that range, but they're old with a ton of miles. Then there are bone stock cars like the 3.7 v6, but those obviously need more of the budget put into mods than fixing stuff... I guess it's really just going to have to be a case by case basis as to what each car needs.

I have half a mind to try to find an old AI car since someone else has already eaten the cost. I just have a hard time trusting good parts were put on it you know, and basically i'll have a fully modded car that's going to have things i dont know on it, potentially questionable parts, cage work, etc...

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I had a very rough number of $15k in mind. So the thing then is there are good cars like C5 vettes in that range, but they're old with a ton of miles. Then there are bone stock cars like the 3.7 v6, but those obviously need more of the budget put into mods than fixing stuff... I guess it's really just going to have to be a case by case basis as to what each car needs.

I have half a mind to try to find an old AI car since someone else has already eaten the cost. I just have a hard time trusting good parts were put on it you know, and basically i'll have a fully modded car that's going to have things i dont know on it, potentially questionable parts, cage work, etc...

An ex-AI New Edge can be found for $15k. I think a lightly modded C5 will beat most things out there. Check out racer connect classifieds for some already put together cars.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Good thread. Good discussion.

OP, I am in a similar boat. I have my 13 5.0 DD/AutoX/track car, as well as a 99 NB Miata that I bought for the track and autoX. Like you, I absolutely love my Miata, but there's something about the driving experience of tracking a big, loud, torquey v8 Mustang.

I have contemplated making my car a dedicated track car in a couple of years, and I've also contemplated selling it and getting a used C5Z/C6/C6Z to serve as a DD/track- double duty car. Or making the Miata a dedicated track toy. So many different routes to go with this type of decision, and opinions will be all over the board on this.

To your original question...I'd go with a 3V over the 3.7 V6. As good as that 3.7 is (my wife has a '14 V6 and the little engine impresses me every time I drive it. It's a great engine for what it is.), there is just something about the noise a V8 makes. And I think a 3V with a proper exhaust is one of the best sounding cars out there. And because V8 racecar.

rjyote

forum member
Reaction score
An early SN95 (94/95 would be best) with a 331 stroker would make a good choice and fit most of your criteria. You could eventually even go IRS with it.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Voltwings: I may know of a 3V for sale, fully race-prepped, all the nice bits, GOOD cage, etc. PM me if you're interested.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Questions -
What is your Budget?
How much time to invest?
How many track days a year?
This will decide your vehicle, resale value and what you want to upgrade too when you find this too slow.
If you put some numbers in, we can all make some suggestions.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
So i know i am new here, i have been a lurker for a while as i enjoy just sitting back and soaking up what random knowledge gets passed around, but i have a question i would now like to pick your brains with.

I'll provide a little background on myself: i have done HPDE since early 2014, so i am "good, not great," and in that time i have had an NB miata, a 5.0 mustang, and a mazdaspeed3 (currently driving the ms3). My Fiance' has a 2014 v6 that she tracks as well, and when the time comes it will be her dedicated track car (when she gets a mom car) and i am torn on what to make mine. This is not a decision that needs to be made right now, but since i have time to think its ended up driving me crazy and i've changed my mind a thousand times.

The discussion here is a 3v GT vs a 3.7 V6. Now, i ask that you really consider what i am saying here, not just a blatant "oh, get the v8," because her car is pretty dirty with 3.55s, 300 whp and a 6 spd. A 5.0 is out of the question, i couldnt afford to keep tires on it, which is why it got ditched in favor of (my second) MS3. I loved the car to death, just couldnt afford it, especially with us both tracking.

So here are my assessments of each car: The goal is 300 whp and as close to 3000 lbs as possible. The car will be stripped with a cage as budget permits. I am not interested in building it for a particular class, just an HPDE car. The only reason i would consider building for a specific class is for sake of resale value - something i will very much consider when the time comes.

Weight: near as makes no difference between the two
Horsepower: Both will hit 300, near as makes no difference between the two.
torque: Advantage GT, but the m6 in the v6 has a gearing advantage to the m5 in the 3v. We've only been to the drag strip once with her car, but it went 13.5 at... 106 if i remember right? Maybe 107? At any rate, not bad for the middle of Texas summer.

Brakes: Both use the exact same setup stock, so that's a moot point as both will need the same upgrade
Tires: both can fit the same rim and tire and with similar horsepower and weights its basically a wash.

exhaust: not performance related at all, but while her v6 sounds pretty good, V8 sound FTW. Not something i should use to make a decision though...

Price: Near as makes no difference for 2011-2014 v6 vs 2005-2009 3v and THAT is where the question comes in. For the same price i can get another v6 or a 3v, but the v6 often times will be half the age with half the miles... I know everything suspension related is going to get replaced anyways, but for things like the rear end, the engine, the trans, and the not so easy to replace components, that is a lot to consider. This car will be 90% track... hell, maybe even 100% track, so it will live a hard life once i get it, so reliability will matter a lot to me.

So considering the performance and price is virtually identical between the two, getting one with half the miles is the clear choice correct? I'm open to your opinions. Understand, i am not 100% set in my ways, but i will defend my case until thoroughly proven to be wrong, so i enjoy a good discussion but not arguing.

I would say stick with the 3v or even get back into a 5.0, I have seen them around the 14-16k range for 50k mileage cars. Just something to think about. I do have a few guys here that run the 3.7 open track ( both being autos ) and they do pretty well out there. Both are in the process of looking for something different though, mainly as others have said here there is just no benefit over the 3v.

Tire wise most of us run 275/35/18 nt01's. If you wait for the discount tire coupon code you can have a set for right at 800.00. They are not the best tire by any means, but for the cost its hard to beat.

An early SN95 (94/95 would be best) with a 331 stroker would make a good choice and fit most of your criteria. You could eventually even go IRS with it.

That is probably the worst advise i have heard, especially the IRS part.

aussiebj

Reaction score
I goy a track ready 08 mustang you can have for 12500...

yes here you go

2008 premium based Gt
Motor has a CAI that's it 110K miles runs like a dream only use Mobil one and Ford Motorsports Racing filters,
has cats but then MBRP straight pie, not as loud as you think,
Ford racing clutch with SS hyd line gives better clutch engagement
Roush Short throw shifter
Big Aluminum drive shaft
3.73 posi rear, Ford Racing aluminum diff cover
Suspension
Front ....
Ford racing struts, Steeda competition springs, White Line boss type front LCA brackets, Steeda X2 ball joints, Steeda bumpsteer kit, MM caster camber plates, Ford racing sway bar

Rear
Bilstien shocks, Steeda completion sprins, Ford Racing LCA`s, White Line LCA relocation brackets, White Line adj panard bar,

Brakes
Stop tech slotted high carbon rotors fr/rear, Hawk DTC 60 pads all round , Russell SS brake lines all round, Petossin Synethic brake fluid, Blow by Racing Brake booster support ( not installed Yet)

Wheels
Street are 18x 8.5 with 255 x 40 General tier's,
Track are 18 x 10 all round with 275 x 35x 18 continentals

The car is very neutral with this setup and is a lot of fun on the track .. it needs to go to the next level, with weight reduction and that would make it even more fun
only reason for the sale is I have an E46M3 I'm turning into a track car and I do not need two track cars..
6315041440 call me if you have and other questions..
Thanks Barry

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I goy a track ready 08 mustang you can have for 12500...

Palmer%206-16-16_zps2v2t0gkf.jpg

2008 Boss ???

Back