Finally - Back to Track With Turbos

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
It's been slow in coming, but finally made it out to a 1/4 mile track with the twin turbos. I wanted to get some good solid test-n-tune runs in, figure things out and and dial in a few things, before cranking up the boost.
Boost controller was set to 13.5 psi as a starting point (lowest with the wastegate springs in there now).

Got a few good runs in, with decent traction. Consistently ran low-11's with a trap speed of 128 mph, with an ultra-slow 2.0 second 60'. I know I've got to work on launching with the 4r70 automatic better, but wasn't worried about that.

Car ran really good, no mechanical issues. Once the turbos kick in, car pulls great, nice steady power, and straight down the track!

Tires were an issue, as I figured they might be. I used my street Nitto Nt05's, which I know I need to replace, but haven't done so yet. I'd get out off the line, and the turbos would spool up off the line and kick in, and sometimes I'd get wheel spin in 1st. This is the area that I think needs the biggest improvement: getting the car into boost, and making it stick in 1st gear when it does. Tires and shock settings should help a lot; there's only so much I can do off the line without a transbrake, and I don't really want to change the converter, yet. I do need to leave the line harder, in as much as I can with the setup.

On the top end, I also learned I need better brakes! Stock GT brakes slow me down, but not fast enough.

Trapping was at around 6500 rpms in 3rd gear, with 373's and 27" tall tires. With either 26" tall tires, or a little spin early in the run, it'd be really close to running out of gear before the end.

And just to clarify, the car is not intended to be a track-only car, but rather used both on street and at the track. ..now that I said this, I just remembered: I have the front sway bar in place, too; forgot about that.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trans brake would make a huge difference I'm sure.

Try a 28" DR?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trans brake would make a huge difference I'm sure.

Try a 28" DR?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I think off you want the full potential out of your car you need a few things. An AMS2000 boost controller, real track wheel tire combo, transbrake and probably a bump box. None of these things well change your car into a track only car.

And of course, have Lito tune it. As the season comes to an end I'm getting ready to contact Lito and have him work on my tune.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Lito, I captured a couple of logs; they look pretty good, maybe a little rich because of lower boost now (13 psi) than when we tuned it (15.5 psi). I can send one to you.

Transbrake is out of the question right not. However, some kind of launch control and a 28" tire will be in the works soon.

46addict

Reaction score
What tires are you looking to replace the NT05s with? I have the 555Rs which also leave some to be desired. Is a big/skinny setup the only way to get any traction at the track?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
(Lito: log sent)

Considering the P325/50r15 ET Street mickey thompsons, #3555.
I have sway bar relocations already in place, and plan on using 15x10 rims.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back