OBD not ready ** not ready monitors

46addict

Reaction score
When NYS went to a new system in 2014 I know a lot of modded guys had issues that they had not had in the past.

Do you know what they had to do to pass?
I bought my car with exhaust mods already done and I don't have all the stock parts so that would be my last resort.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
to piggy pack on Rasmus - some of the new state software systems are intrusive enough that it can see a "unavailable" and then prevent the system from performing a test. edit - you don't "fail" but the system tells the operator he cannot perform the scan and run the inspection.

When NYS went to a new system in 2014 I know a lot of modded guys had issues that they had not had in the past.

That's true, and I should have mentioned that.

Some OBD2 tests know which Readiness Monitors to look for based on the VIN. It is rare, though, but it does happen. Most of the time it's up to the operator of the test to verify that the tests are being performed -- if a new car comes in with only two Readiness Monitors available and set Ready, odds are something has been tampered with.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
That's the issue I had. Then I did the foulers.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
to piggy pack on Rasmus - some of the new state software systems are intrusive enough that it can see a "unavailable" and then prevent the system from performing a test. edit - you don't "fail" but the system tells the operator he cannot perform the scan and run the inspection.

My brother in law worked for a shop and did the inspections on my car.

He warned me they were getting a new scanner last year and I might get the Communication Failure some have posted about.

Luckily mine still talks and passed and did so this year with another guy with the same scanner

Dan at Pro Dyno is the tuner on my car. All my monitors are disabled and nothing shows up for them.

If NC ever gets updated software I'll register my car in SC, that's a non emissions state.

Well for vehicle checks anyway.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
If NC ever gets updated software I'll register my car in SC, that's a non emissions state.

NC only does emissions checks in 48 out of 100 counties, and they're talking about reducing that number by 27-30. I doubt they're going to go the other way all of a sudden.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Is that a homemade MIL eliminator?

Yes it is. Pretty easy actually. Radio shack for the capacitors and resistors. I think the project boxes were more than the actual electronics. Anyways I don't think I spent more than $20 on the materials. You tap the signal line from the fronts and run it through the box and then back to your rear signal wire which is cut from the actual sensor. I believe the heater circuit and the sensors must remain installed but I have never had an issue with the monitors reading ready with these.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My brother in law worked for a shop and did the inspections on my car.

He warned me they were getting a new scanner last year and I might get the Communication Failure some have posted about.

Luckily mine still talks and passed and did so this year with another guy with the same scanner

Dan at Pro Dyno is the tuner on my car. All my monitors are disabled and nothing shows up for them.

Communication failure is exactly what the issue was around here. I had forgotten

46addict

Reaction score
Wanted to update this thread with good news and what was done to fix in case anyone else runs into the same problem in the future.

The previous owner must have chucked the rear o2 sensors as the car didn't have any when I looked. That was my first problem. I bought some sensors and followed s8v4o's advice on the steel wool and stacking 2 non-foulers on each side. Then I had my tuner turn on the O2 monitors. Reset the battery and let the car complete the drive cycles and she finally passed inspection.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back