High mileage Procharged cars?

46addict

Reaction score
So this morning on the way to work my supercharger belt shredded itself and I had the joy of driving the it with the supercharger bypassed (dedicated belt drives FTW). To my surprise the car ran better (the random part throttle bucking is reduced to almost nothing) and I am no longer feeling harmonics through the seat when I accelerate. I have a feeling the blower is on its last legs as it's puking 6 ounces of oil every 1000 miles and so a rebuild is becoming more urgent. Which is fine by me because I was planning a D1SC impeller upgrade anyway.

I bought this Procharger kit used from a member and from the looks of things, it's at least 5-6 years old. Has anyone had to replace parts other than the usual bearings and seals on their head units that see a lot of use? How long do the tensioners last before they go bad? I imagine their lifespan is much shorter than the serpentine tensioner for the accessory belt.

TheBlackPearl

forum member
Reaction score
Is there any play in the input shaft on the head unit or a seized pulley that caused the belt to shred?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

46addict

Reaction score
The pulley turns smoothly by hand. I feel some play when I change directions (counterclockwise/clockwise) but no horizontal play.

46addict

Reaction score
I only checked the tensioner pulley which also seemed ok. I will double check the bracket alignment and the other idler pulley.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Be sure to check the crank pulley as well, if it is not clocked the correct way, the blower can cause the balancer bolt to back out.

46addict

Reaction score
Reporting back to this thread with solutions.
I noticed the tensioner bolts were bent (probably from the aging tensioner losing spring tension and causing the tensioner assembly to go crooked) so I replaced those and made sure the tensioner pulley is as straight as I can get it. The belt is nice and tight now and it hasn't come off after 50+ miles of driving.

For the fluid leak, I put in some Pennzoil synthetic 5w-30 instead of Procharger oil and it seems to have slowed down the leak significantly.

The low rpm/part throttle hesitation was fixed once I replaced the coil boots (did not realize I could replace just the boots until I saw a thread here). I will replace those with every spark plug change from now on.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know which seal is leaking? If it's the one behind the pulley that can be changed without disassembling the head unit. And it was a pretty common seal IIRC.

46addict

Reaction score
I believe it's the seal that goes between the two halves, or behind the pulley as you're saying. The intercooler & pipes are dry so at least the engine is not ingesting it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back