I have some Weight info for sve big-n-little combination

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I have some SVE 15x10 dark stars with 28x11.5 Hoosier quick time pros for the back of my 2011 5.0 and they turned out weighing a very svelt 37.5lbs each

I just got some front 17X4.5" SVE Drag Wheels, wrapped with Mickey Thompson 28x6-17 Sportsman S/R Frontrunner Tires, and them suckers weighed 42.4 each, They must be 30 ply, hahaha!

I weighed the stock base model 18 rims with P-zeros and they were all within a few ounces of 52lbs at each corner. I think if the MT front runners were as wide as the stockers they'd weigh over 60lbs, very piggish imo, especially when you consider the rears are so much larger, and still weigh about 4lbs less than the front runners, WTF?????? I guess no matter how you slice it, they're still lighter than stock. But if I was to do it again, I'd look at hoosier 28" tall front runners for a 17" rim, although they may be a bit too narrow for the SVE 17x4.5" rims, but I'm guessing they're much much lighter.

Last edited:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Seems like I'm saving 50#s or so. My tires are all bias ply. I think they are lighter than the radial version.

I should weigh my two tire set ups. Street version is 18x10 and 18x9, nitto 255/45/18 and 305/45/18. My back wheels with tires feel like 60+ pounds. I'll have to check when I get home.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I looked on jegs and these front runner tires weigh 22lbs. a piece, and now see that Hoosier makes a bias ply that's advertised as 27.6 diameter that weighs only 5#'s each.

Last edited:

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
heavy those 8 plys(have a 50 psi rating) are but they wear really well and don't flex and roll like a traditional skinnie that is the difference- for pure track they are not the best but mostly street miles( with pot hole roads) they are stellar. I have 5 k on my mt front runners and they so no wear at all. you can take corners like a stock radial(dam near) do that with a low pressure light weight tire and it is coming off the wheel.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
heavy those 8 plys(have a 50 psi rating) are but they wear really well and don't flex and roll like a traditional skinnie that is the difference- for pure track they are not the best but mostly street miles( with pot hole roads) they are stellar. I have 5 k on my mt front runners and they so no wear at all. you can take corners like a stock radial(dam near) do that with a low pressure light weight tire and it is coming off the wheel.
I'm still saving around 9lbs each over stock but aside from being made of lead, they're ok I suppose

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
How does it drive on the street and track with that combination of QTP's out back and the SR front runner? I did a very similar setup but went with the 28x10.5 MT Pro Bracket radial because I was worried about sway.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
How does it drive on the street and track with that combination of QTP's out back and the SR front runner? I did a very similar setup but went with the 28x10.5 MT Pro Bracket radial because I was worried about sway.
Sorry for not coming back to this sooner, but the sway isn't too bad imo, and I also have no front sway bar.

I do have some bias ply slicks with radial front tires on our Mercedes C63 that sways much worse. My theory is because of the bias plys being on an IRS so they don't sit quite perpendicular to the road, or parallel to each other so they're not tracking completely straight with the body like they are with a car equipped with a solid rear axle such as a mustang.

I also ran an 03 Lightning with bias ply slicks in the rear (also solid axle) with stock radial wheels / tires on the front with no real handling issues or sway to speak of, but our mercedes with the IRS feels down right weird at times though, but the wife drives that one and hasn't been freaked out too bad yet...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back