Question about a tune

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a common thing, but my 05 is almost dangerous on wet pavement. I have to be really gentle on the gas or it gets really loose. Even with traction control on. Even going down the road about 30 or so it can get loose on wet roads. If that's a common thing on these 4.0 cars, then I just have to get used to it and enjoy the fun. But it makes me wonder if somebody put a tune on it. The guy who sold it to me said "we did some stuff to it", but he wouldn't give any details other than cosmetic stuff and front suspension.
So after all that my question is, how would I find out if someone put a tune on it?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I doubt it has a tune on it. You can have your local dealer reflash it if you want to be 100% positive. Otherwise I'd suggest looking at your tires and shocks.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
No. You have something mechanically wrong. Check your rear tires to make sure they have tread, and aren't some shithouse brand that just plain sucks (Cheng Shin/Doral/Etc). Also check your control arms and bushings to make sure they aren't shot.

Unless that tune can add 300 horsepower, you're not spinning from power alone in the rain from a 30 roll.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
No. You have something mechanically wrong. Check your rear tires to make sure they have tread, and aren't some shithouse brand that just plain sucks (Cheng Shin/Doral/Etc). Also check your control arms and bushings to make sure they aren't shot.

Unless that tune can add 300 horsepower, you're not spinning from power alone in the rain from a 30 roll.

I'll be damned. There is a tire company named Cheng Shin.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
The tires are new Toyos. Not sure the size. They do look kinda scrawny.
I will say this is the most fun driving car I have owned in a LONG time. Not quite as much fun as my 84 Ranger that I dropped a 302 in or my 69 fastback, but it is a blast.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The 05 v6's had some issues with rear traction on wet roads, especially when making turns around corners. Not so much though going straight and steady. My wife did a 360 one night making a slow left-hand turn on wet streets with good tires. The differential carrier, I think, had something to do with it. Once I upgraded the differential to a trac-loc, there were no more issues.
The tune won't have any impact, especially when traveling straight under light throttle.

Of course, as mentioned, the tires are likely your biggest potential issue if you're having issues while driving straight.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
The open differential is garbage and makes things tricky around lowish speed corners. When I had the 4.0 and 7.5 rear axle in the car, the somewhat decent low-end torque started spinning the right rear tire a lot around corners. Never really on a straight line though...

46addict

Reaction score

And Linglong.

OP, I would drive with the traction control off. Every time your wheels spin and the traction control has to intervene, you are chewing up rear brakes. I would also double check the tire pressure to make sure none are over inflated. If that checks out this has to be just a case of open differential symptoms.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The tires are new Toyos. Not sure the size. They do look kinda scrawny.
I will say this is the most fun driving car I have owned in a LONG time. Not quite as much fun as my 84 Ranger that I dropped a 302 in or my 69 fastback, but it is a blast.

First let me comment on bringing my Ford Ranger Fantasy to life. I bet that was a fun little truck.

You may wish to research the Toyo tire model to see if it is possibly more of a summer dry pavement only or even possibly a track/competition tire of some sort. Toyo makes some very aggressive tires for dry pavement and track racing but they can seriously suck in even the lightest dampness on pavement just as many have learned from running a street legal Drag Radial on their car. It could simply be that simple.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
The open differential is garbage and makes things tricky around lowish speed corners. When I had the 4.0 and 7.5 rear axle in the car, the somewhat decent low-end torque started spinning the right rear tire a lot around corners. Never really on a straight line though...

open differential is what helps not to oversteer/drift in corners.

one tire will spin up, and the other will hold lateral grip.

with an LSD, both tires will spin up and the car goes sideways.

the real problem is tires, or the right foot.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score

lots of unkown tires.

I took thes pics of add from a recent trip to china.

can I interest you in some Chao Yang tyres?

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
First let me comment on bringing my Ford Ranger Fantasy to life. I bet that was a fun little truck.

You may wish to research the Toyo tire model to see if it is possibly more of a summer dry pavement only or even possibly a track/competition tire of some sort. Toyo makes some very aggressive tires for dry pavement and track racing but they can seriously suck in even the lightest dampness on pavement just as many have learned from running a street legal Drag Radial on their car. It could simply be that simple.

Good luck.

I LOVED that little truck.
After some research on the Toyo tires, the ones I have get great reviews for dry roads, but poor reviews for wet roads. AND are suggested for front wheel drive vehicles. Guess I'll just have to deal with it until I wear them down and get some better ones. But it's nice to think somebody put some additional power into my car for me.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Back in 94, a coworker was telling me about a little Ranger that came up on him while in his 93 Cobra. He said he was cruising up the highway when he saw this green 93/94 Ranger (he thought it was me because I had a green 93 STX) thinking it was me riding his tail, so he gave it a little gas. The little Ranger remained right there. So he gave it a little more gas...and still that little green Ranger was right in his rear view. So he up shifted to third and nailed it........and that pesky little green Ranger was not only still there but almost in his back seat. So he got over a lane. The Ranger came blowing by him like a rocket he claimed. He said he thought he could hear an unusual whining sound from it (unusual for that time period and unusual for a Ranger). He was able to stay close enough that he followed it to a gas station where he had to know what was done. They guy grinned, popped the hood and there on that little 4.0 V6 was a Paxton super charger package mounted in place.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Those older 4.0 motors in the Rangers ROCKED! Ford ruined them when they went to overhead cams and timing chains on both front and back of the motor. I had a '94 and it would have rocked with a blower.

jimz05gt

Reaction score
I doubt it has a tune on it. You can have your local dealer reflash it if you want to be 100% positive. Otherwise I'd suggest looking at your tires and shocks.
I have a 05 gt need help with tune I have diablo sports tuner and a cnl racer kit cold air intank no cats or mufflers I need a good tunexpected for it..any help would be great

forum member
Reaction score
lots of unkown tires.

I took thes pics of add from a recent trip to china.

can I interest you in some Chao Yang tyres?
I have heard of Kenda and Maxxis and would put them on my car but I wouldn't use the other two on a bicycle lol.

I have a 05 gt need help with tune I have diablo sports tuner and a cnl racer kit cold air intank no cats or mufflers I need a good tunexpected for it..any help would be great

If you bought the tuner & intake new from a known vendor, they can probably help you with that. To get it tuned remotely from TuDyno or Lund, you will need a wideband o2 sensor and a laptop for datalogging. Keep in mind most tuners prefer to tune with SCT so you may have to use that instead of the Diablo.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back