Sway feeling when cruising

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
May be wrong place to post but I know you all are very knowledgeable on these cars.

Well when cruising on the highway or in down and wheel is still the car will feel like it gets pushed left and right. The feeling is as if a semi truck passes you when stopped and the force pushed you left to right like a sway. It also does it pretty good when switching lanes. Now is this a cause of a wider tire set up than factory or the road having dips in it from wear or maybe something with suspension geometry? 255 front and 275 rear and not a lot of camber up front and doesn't wear bad. Current suspension mods are SR 1.5" lowering springs and BMR panhard bar. I don't think it's anything serious but just the car being a little more ridged so feedback is felt more. Just want to make sure. Yes still factory shocks and struts and everything else suspension wise. Have BMR LCA's and relo brackets waiting to install as well.

Thanks guys!

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I've also pushed on the car from the outside pretty good front and rear and pulled on the wheels to see of any movement and the damn thing is solid! The roads here in FL are pretty shitty they look like a W everywhere. I will say I don't notice this sway at all when on a nice new road.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Sounds like 'tramlining'. Wide tires tend to experience this more than narrow tires, some tires are (much) worse than others, and things like worn-out struts and slightly worn ball joints won't control the toe changes that come with bumps and suspension travel as well as struts and BJ's in good condition will. Even the wheel widths might. Lowering can sometimes introduce bumpsteer, but I wouldn't get into bumpsteer correction kits until the suspension has at least been updated with new shocks & struts and possibly front control arms (which should come with new bushings and ball joints).

You may not be able to notice visually the amount of motion that can be felt as you drive.

Norm

Last edited:

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Norm. I think that's what it is. It's what it feels like. Yeah I really need to get around to do all that and just replace my wearing out parts, just so much $$. Finally hit 100k the other day. Hoping COP's can hold out for a good minute and get, clutch, flywheel, clutch line, rear end freshened up, and suspension freshened as well.

Checked and those were good. Thanks JUSTA3V.

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
Take off the shocks and check them, they may need replacing. I know that exact feeling you felt. My left rear shock was out, and i would notice right turns caused uber oversteer, which is fun but not ideal in the rain, where I felt that sway left to right.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Take off the shocks and check them, they may need replacing. I know that exact feeling you felt. My left rear shock was out, and i would notice right turns caused uber oversteer, which is fun but not ideal in the rain, where I felt that sway left to right.

Okay, thanks. What does it do if its bad or the signs of it bad when off?

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be tramlining with 255 fronts. I have 285's square and the effect is minimal.
Have the alignment checked, check all your bushings (front and rear control arms, panhard).
If it still feels odd, remove the shocks and struts and check if those are still good. They should resist you compressing them and return to the extended position on their own at a reasonable speed.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be tramlining with 255 fronts.

Width is only part of the equation; tread design also makes a difference. For the most part, more "aggressive" tread designs will tramline more. Wider tires aggravate the problem.

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
I would check bushings, ball joints, and tie rods, and replace the shocks regardless. Some combination of things are worn out. The oem shocks are terrible when new and you've got 100K miles on yours. Whatever it is, tramlining is not inevitable with wider tires - I run a 275 square set up with Michelin PSS and the car is extremely steady and true even on rutted roads. Using Bilsteins and P springs. If I could change only one suspension piece on these cars it would be the dampers. Good luck!

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Will try and get to update all of those things. Tie rods looked bad and worn. What should I replace them with being lowered?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
If I'm on a very small budget what shocks/struts should I get? I really wanted to save for the koni yellows but man that is so far away its not funny! I could do maybe $300. It's a daily and almost never track it but I like to have fun in turns and push it when dailying the car and somtines on back roads. Mine are kaboom lol. No good at all. Going to replace tie rods with the OEM style from AM. Plan on getting gt500 A arms with the new upgraded ball joints but not necessity since those are still okay and bushings all look good. Never checked upper rear arm though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back