no crank no start battery good

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so today I had the first major issue with my 08 mustang bullitt. I get into my car and drive to pick up my kid, then when I go to start it to go home no crank no start. first I thought the clutch safety switch, took it off and ohmed tested it. Battery is at 12.78 so enough volts. I think its good, open at fully opened. Took starter off and got it tested at autozone (good). switched out the relay of the starter with the horn (nothing). please guys any thoughts would be appreciated.

07 Boss

Reaction score
PATS disables the starter if it does not sense the proper key. Maybe something wrong with the key. Try your spare key.

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC you need at least 13 volts to start the car. .22v may not seem like much difference but it's enough to cause a problem. Have you attempted a jump start yet?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
^this
If it does jump start, I'll bet money the alternator is gone.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
No I have not, no leaks. Everything good as far as liquids.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

If you have a charger put it on for a few hours.

Just to clarify, when you turn the key nothing happens? Just a click maybe?

It is odd for a car like ours to randomly just not start. It is usually related to the battery or the throttle body. Sometimes the crank sensor is disconnected, someone's it's the anti theft system, fuel shut off.

Go through your engine bay and start following wires without messing with anything just to make sure some thing didn't get damaged in some way.

Wiggle the terminal connections on the battery, is there corrosion? Is the connection to the alternator good? Wiggle and inspect.

My car suddenly wouldn't start one time. For several days it would turn over but not start. I was getting ready to put it in the trailer to take it in and it started up like nothing was ever wrong.

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
ok sorry just had to get to my computer, yes when I turn the key nothing happens, not even a click of any sort.

I did however take it to the a shop. to a mechanic I have confidence in. He spend all day yesterday looking at it. and he has deduced that the problem has to do with ignition, possibly the theft system.

correct me if I'm wrong but if the theft system was the issue doesn't it cut off the fuel system not the starter?

the reason I ask is he was able to turn on car, by jumping the starter direct from the starter relay and car runs fine.

he had to call in someone more familiar with the electronics of the car. so I should know more about it today. hopefully!

forum member
Reaction score
Changed the alternator 10 months ago. And has been tested.

A new alternator can also be defective. Most alternators that are sold in stores are rebuilt units so there's no guarantee it will last as long as the factory unit.

Have you had the alternating current tested? If it is above .25 VAC you may have a bad diode in the alternator. A shorted diode will drain a battery because it will allow current to flow both ways.

Do any of the dash lights work when you turn the key?

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
A new alternator can also be defective. Most alternators that are sold in stores are rebuilt units so there's no guarantee it will last as long as the factory unit.

Have you had the alternating current tested? If it is above .25 VAC you may have a bad diode in the alternator. A shorted diode will drain a battery because it will allow current to flow both ways.

Do any of the dash lights work when you turn the key?

dash lights do work, battery is not drained.

the mechanic jumped the starter relay and started the car using the battery.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Check F4 fuse in fuse box under the hood. Also check F10 on the smart junction box, also check PCM power relay module under the hood in the main fuse box.

It help to know if you at least hear the Fuel pump prime at key on engine off.

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
Ok problem fixed. Turned out to be the theft system (apperently the antenna). It's been changed out. Car starts finally. That is weird though had this been a known issue?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, that's crazy. Good to know though. Thanks for keepin us updated.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Ok problem fixed. Turned out to be the theft system (apperently the antenna). It's been changed out. Car starts finally. That is weird though had this been a known issue?

I think I mentioned the PATS in the second post. Boom, never heard of a bad antenna though. Usually the key or the coding gets fubared.

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
I think I mentioned the PATS in the second post. Boom, never heard of a bad antenna though. Usually the key or the coding gets fubared.
I wonder how much a second key set up would run me?

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score

Well the good news is it's not one of the newer key/key fob combos. Not sure if Tasca can do keys AND programming, but I'd reach out to him.

Steve@Tasca

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score

A second key is $$, but if you have two, you can program the third yourself and have any one cut the key for cheap

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back