Fluid change in tr3650

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I have done a few searches on how to change the fluid out in the tr3650 on the s197. Only stuff that comes up are the "what fluid to use threads". I know draining is simple just pull plug out and let drain. Now How do we fill it and 3.2 quarts correct? Using Pennzoil syncromesh. While I'm here how do I do a fluid change in rear end and is it safe if you accidentally mixed two fluids? I had a wheel bearing replaced and seal and the shop didnt fully tighten two bolts on rear end and noticed fluid leaking there. So I tightened up and put royal purple in but the shop couldn't remember if they used lucas or royal purple. He literally said it just smelt like christmas lol. But I'd like to drain and refill to know It's got the right fluid in. Will eventually get around to full rear rebuild including a torsen and 3.73's.

Thanks. Don't need a fluid debate either lol. Just how to lol.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I just do the old fashioned to the bottom of the fill hole. Its never failed me. There is also talk out there that if you under-fill it slightly it will actually shift better, but that is up to you.

and you can mix fluids in the rear so long as you are using the correct fluid and additives for your diff.

loosen all the bolts on the diff, the bottom ones more so, then you may notice a kind of ledge between the housing and the diff cover. try to pry between those instead of messing up the RTV. If you have to go into the RTV for some reason its not the end of the world just be careful. FYI its going to stink when it comes out and this is normal.

depending on how much you did or did not mess up the RTV you should be able to just bolt it back together without redoing the RTV. I have done this many times and I have never had a diff leak.

Also you will need a fluid pump for both of these jobs.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen where some folks just remove the shifter boot and run a hose down to the fill hole from the top. Makes is alot easier to get the fluid in there without a pump.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I got a cheap pump 2 times to change the fluid in my 00 gt and my 07 gt and both broke after using it, luckily. I personally wouldnt pour fluid in it from inside the car even though its been done on the older stangs for years. Just pump it through the fill hole on the passenger side of the trans above the drain and make sure its just under the fill hole itself by using your finger in the fill hole. (Control yourselves guys lol).

Its simple just dont use a crappy pump and all will be good.

Ive never changed diff fluid but these guys got it covered.

forum member
Reaction score
Don't forget to undo the fill plug first, so you are not left stranded with a dry trans on the off chance the fill plug is seized. I usually hear air releasing when I loosen the fill plug so it probably drains better too with the fill plug off.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen where some folks just remove the shifter boot and run a hose down to the fill hole from the top. Makes is alot easier to get the fluid in there without a pump.

+1 I have done it this way and with a pump, just gotta be careful not to spill it!

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
I take the fill plug out, then drop the drain plug and let it all drain out. When I go to refill it, I run a hose through the car, down the shifter boot, and into the trans. I ALWAYS use a hose that is long enough to fill from the outside of the car, so I don't have to worry about spilling.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Not only is my hose long enough to reach outside the car, it goes up a ladder where I zip tie my funnel. It's only 3/8 line so I can fill the funnel, go do something else, maybe forget about the line and trip over it, tip the ladder over onto the car, etc...

When I get all 3 liters of fluid into the trans ;) the line drains clear and I can demob.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
So much easier to just pump it into the trans with a hand pump. taking off your shifter boot and rubber seal can be a pain especially if you have a aftermarket shifter.

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, pump from harbor freight.... 5 bucks... one use and chuck it. I usually buy them 3 at a time. Next fluid you will need to pump will most likely be different and for 5$ I'm not cleaning it..... I did syncroomesh also.. supposedly the best choice though I couldn't tell s diff

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I've never bothered to use a pump. Just transfer the lube into a container small enough to fit up into the space above the fill hole. Been using the same little limited slip additive bottle with a short length of hose stuck onto the screw-on top for most transmission and axle lube refills probably 20 years now, and yes, it does get rinsed if the fluid about to be put in it is different from the previous fluid.

Norm

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I have considered an idea like that many times but I always end up thinking it will take to long and I can just buy a pump.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It probably does take a bit longer, but the flip side is that you're less likely to overfill given that you get a really good opportunity to check the level every few ounces.

Being retired makes it a really easy choice, even if the crawling underneath part sometimes isn't . . .
picture.php

← ← ←

Norm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back