Going for 150mph in the 1/2 mile

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
So is the general rule of thumb you don't want to be in the OD gear if at all possible correct?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Vented hoods better or worse from aero perspective? I'm not a huge fan of pins but understand why they might be needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing is ever simple. Some vented hoods might look "dope," but looks can be deceiving. Just because a hood looks like it should be good aerodynamically doesn't mean it is.

Steeda, Cervini's, Tiger Racing, and a few others make vented hoods, but as far as I know, the only one that has been developed in an actual wind tunnel is Tiger Racing:

Heat-Extracting-Tiger-Racing-Hood-Mustang-2005-2009.jpg

Tiger-Racing-Hood-2012-SBY-Boss-302-v2.png

http://www.chicane23.com/

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is the general rule of thumb you don't want to be in the OD gear if at all possible correct?

For a half mile event in a street car, YES, generally. Every gear you go up, there's less torque available at the rear wheels due to the lower reduction ratio. Also, you want the end of the run to be in the sweet spot of your RPM range (usually at or near redline) to fight drag as much as possible since drag increases exponentially with increased velocity.

46addict

Reaction score

Depends on the car you're driving. On a stock internal car with 500+ wtq I would not go into OD because that is extra stress on an engine that is already being stretched thin.

If the engine and aero are set up for these events, there is nothing wrong with OD. OD gears are supposed to help high powered cars reach higher speeds.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score

I know for the quarter that holds true. I would assume the same holds true up to a point for a longer distance. My 5th gear is 0.80 which should drop my rpm to 4800-5200 depending on when I shift, so I don't think I'll waste the dollars and time to swap them out.

Has anyone mentioned aero yet?

At triple-digit speeds, your hood is basically a parachute. I would go with the Tiger Racing louvered hood.

And any hood you use should have FOUR hood pins.

I do have a Tiger Racing hood, just need to find a quality paint shop to get it done.

I have considered an APR air dam, but I am not sure if it would be beneficial or how securely it attaches. I know the lower the bumper the less air that is allowed under, hence the more around the sides and over the top.

Another piece I have considered is the 2010+ undertray that extends to the K-member. It helps pulling air out of the engine bay, but I don't know if it would be beneficial with a Tiger Racing hood.

HDSE

Reaction score
I have run the Mojave mile several times in my 06 Saleen. The car weight is 3420 without me with a 1/2 tank of fuel. I'm running 373 gears in the rear & 480 HP at the tires w/Tiger Racing hood which make a huge difference in weight, and aero. My fastest time at the half is 137.2 MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV-MrfzIJpI

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do have a Tiger Racing hood, just need to find a quality paint shop to get it done.
Joe,

I shortened your post so it just shows the part on you having the Tiger-Racing-Hood.

Is the one you have the Carbon Fiber one or the Fiberglass model ???

Also if you don't mind answering a few more questions about that hood for me.

(1) So, Carbon-Fiber or Fiberglass ???

(2) Does it have a place for the windshield washers to be mounted ???

(3) The most important thing in my case is do you know by looking under it how it gets Rid-of-Water if you were driving in the Rain ???

I'm obviously referring to those Giant Hood Vents above ^^^

I went to the INTERNET Site for the Tiger-Racing-Hoods

http://www.chicane23.com/shop/body/tiger-racing-hood-mustang-2005-2009/

The questions I'm asking you they Do-Not cover on their site.

I have a Seibon C/F Hood on mine now but there is No-Way to control all the water that would be (Gushing) in if you got caught in a down-pour much less a storm.

So that's why I'm asking you for your assistance regarding the above questions.

I'm more interested in their C/F hood than the Fiberglass Model.

Heat-Extracting-Tiger-Racing-Hood-Mustang-2005-2009.jpg

Tiger Racing Hood Mustang 2005-2009

$999.00–$1649.00

Tiger Racing Hood

• Light-Weight
  • Uses Factory Brackets and Latch
  • Aero-Correct Heat Extracting Louvers
  • Wind tunnel tested for maximum heat extraction
  • Legal for NASA American Iron
  • Gel coated and ready to paint
  • Engineered and manufactured in the USA
Carbon Fiber (14 lbs.) or Fiberglass (22 lbs.)

Specify Fiberglass or Carbonfiber
Clear
$1649.00

Below is my current C/F Seibon hood I spoke of.
As you can see the Giant Vents would allow water coming straight to the engine area.

I appreciate your help if you have the time to reply,
Terry

Last edited:

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I figure my 3:55 gear 600 +HP (built 3v turbo Lito tuned) will probably see some time in 5th depending on what height tire I get on there at the time I go. My track drag radials are short (26) which wouldn't be optimal for the event so I will try and get something 28in or so high to stretch things out.

I'm doing it for fun just want to be safe and semi efficient / effective lol

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to high jack thread .... Terry - just do not drive in the rain!!! That hood is damn sexy... I'll take it if you get rid of it!!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to high jack thread .... Terry - just do not drive in the rain!!! That hood is damn sexy... I'll take it if you get rid of it!!
Hi Scott,

I actually love this Seibon C/F hood to be honest about it.

I'm keeping the Seibon C/F hood I have after researching the Tiger Racing C/F Hood and seeing many-many pictures of it.
I would not be any better off with driving in the (Rain) and that's the Only reason I would even consider changing.

Okay guys back to the Main discussion sorry about the brief interruption.

Terry

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
You're going to have a tough time breaking the high 140 mark but I bet it'll be close, depending on weather. Start out slower/easier at first, it's nothing like a 1/4 mile drag race. Example...my boss made 3 half mile hits in his 10xx whp GT500. First one he blew the tires off in first and second, went 174. Second pass he only spun a bunch in first and went a shade under 180. Final pass was smooth with minimal wheel spin and it went 185mph. Lol

Would you happen to know what gearing he runs?

I don't know if I'm aiming for 175 or 180 for the event in May, but I'll definitely be swapping gears first.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
(1) So, Carbon-Fiber or Fiberglass ???

(2) Does it have a place for the windshield washers to be mounted ???

(3) The most important thing in my case is do you know by looking under it how it gets Rid-of-Water if you were driving in the Rain ???

Terry,

1) I have the fiberglass version
2) There are not any holes for the windshield washers, but adding them does not seem difficult, I will be deleting the windshield washer reservoir on my car
3) Water would just be dripping down into the engine bay, I have drag radials and don't plan to drive it in the rain, but in your case I imagine someone could fabricate a cap to place on the underside of the vents to drain water to a specific location

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry,

1) I have the fiberglass version
2) There are not any holes for the windshield washers, but adding them does not seem difficult, I will be deleting the windshield washer reservoir on my car
3) Water would just be dripping down into the engine bay, I have drag radials and don't plan to drive it in the rain, but in your case I imagine someone could fabricate a cap to place on the underside of the vents to drain water to a specific location
Joe,

Thanks for the information on the Hood. :)

Terry

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Little update: Not 100% sure if I will be able to make this event. Life is pretty crazy at the moment, mainly studying for the MCAT. And when I look back in a year I am pretty sure I would be a lot happier going to med school then running down the track.

But I work on it when I can. Recently put on:
driveshaft safety loop
spacers that go in the lower control arm relocation brackets (shop that installed lca brackets didn't put them in)
steeda radiator support
front and rear saleen sway bars
gen 1 MGW shifter (anyone that's swapped a tr6060 should check out this thread --> http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128097)
ford racing valve covers (took the pcv out of the driver's side)
peterson catch can

I only have 1 more week of school and then a week off, so I hope to get to the 1320' soon.

Found an E85 station up near the college I go to every other weekend. I am thinking about stepping down the pulley to either a 3.15" or a 10% overdrive, revving the motor to 6K as an added safety measure, and having it tuned on E85 with some 1000cc injectors.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Registration for the NC event is this Friday. Looking forward to seeing some Mustangs out there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Would you happen to know what gearing he runs?

I don't know if I'm aiming for 175 or 180 for the event in May, but I'll definitely be swapping gears first.

2.73 gears with a Liberty T56. He actually just went 220mph in the mile this morning down in Texas. 4th gear, crossing the traps around 7250 rpm, 315/40/19 Hoosier R7.

For half mile stuff, generally a ratio in the lower 3.XX range will be ideal. These events are short enough that if you're serious about wanting to do well, you'll gear the car to cross the traps at the top of 4th and it won't totally suck on the street either. Of course this is all depending on hp, redline, and tire size. He's going to toss 3.08 gears in it, hook the nitrous back up, and go for 200 in the half this fall.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
The Georgia one sells out in under 15mins every time so be ready.

My car went 135.5 at wanna go fast, it weighs around 3640 with me in it and dyno'd 37x at the time. One of my friends went 151 in his vortech'd coyote, made right at 600 and weighed 3800lbs. If you can make 550 and weight 34xx you'll be close imo.

Registered and helmet bought for May 6 Wanna Go Fast in Clayton Georgia.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, NC event is full. Just tried to register. That was quick. (Insert "you hear that all the time" jokes here.) Looks like I have the weekend available now to attend the AutoX at Greensboro Colliseum.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clarify, "Sunday only" is available, but I'm occupied that day, so Saturday 1-day was my only option.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back