Paint chip rust removal

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I have a couple of rock chips that I've been meaning to take care of, but for one reason or another just haven't gotten around to it.

I've read a couple of thing about taking some sand paper (not sure what grit) and using a hole punch to make a little dot of paper to put on the end of a pencil eraser...but that seems like it would make the chip a lot bigger than I care to try and touch up.

Then I've read about getting some dental tools to "pick" the rust out.

What have you guys done to take care of the rust in a paint chips?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I used a paint pen on my mom's highlander that had an abrasive material on the end that would basically rub/sand/grind the rust off the surface to give a smooth layer to paint.

Took a while cause her hood was covered in chips, my dad just said paint over it and let it go, but he's lazy and I wanted to at least do it semi correctly

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I used a paint pen on my mom's highlander that had an abrasive material on the end that would basically rub/sand/grind the rust off the surface to give a smooth layer to paint.

A paint pen like people do arts and craft crap with?

The chips on my hood aren't bad, but I have one on the roof about 6" back from the windshield that's got some rust in it and the paint around it is a bit faded looking.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Depending on the size of the chip, grab some paint and clear from here:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ or a local body shop

and follow this video:

Did a few touch up spots on the family's IROC-Z, and it came out nicely. However, it is only effective on small spots. If the chip is too big, it would probably be better to have a shop fix it.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
no like this
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00HE68GCC/ref=psdc_15709961_t2_B004X96DW8

has an abrasive tip that you use to remove the rust, then you paint over the now rust-free metal

Ah, OK....I was wondering what you were talking about cause I've never used one of those and didn't realize it had an abrasive tip.

My only concern is, how can I see if all the rust is removed if it's covered up with paint? Or from looking at it, can you use it without any paint in order to just get the rust out?

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ or a local body shop

and follow this video:

Did a few touch up spots on the family's IROC-Z, and it came out nicely. However, it is only effective on small spots. If the chip is too big, it would probably be better to have a shop fix it.

Yeah, I've watched that video and honestly was worried about the hole punched sand paper being too big for the chip I have (it's probably about the size of the top clicker tip of a ball point pen. It's really not very big, but starting to rust.

I bought some of that Dr. Colorchip for my car some time back and was going to use it....maybe not with the method they describe though.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
The abrasive tip is used first. Then once you are happy that the surface is clear, you paint

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Yeah, I've watched that video and honestly was worried about the hole punched sand paper being too big for the chip I have (it's probably about the size of the top clicker tip of a ball point pen. It's really not very big, but starting to rust.

I bought some of that Dr. Colorchip for my car some time back and was going to use it....maybe not with the method they describe though.

I appreciate all the feedback.

It isn't making the hole bigger, you are just cleaning the area and prepping the area for the paint. You would have to work very hard to make the hole noticeably bigger with the pencil tip sandpaper. Part of the purpose for the wax is that it helps protect the surrounding area. Whatever work you do on that spot will come off with the compound, polish, and finish once the paint is how you want it.

Your paint is most likely the metal > primer > a basecoat (or two) > clearcoat as far as the layers go. So to make the hole bigger, you would have to rough sand that area with low grit.

Last edited:

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score

This is what I did on mine. It worked decently enough for run of the mill black paint on a everyday driven car. I got it at autozone for like 10 bucks if I remember right.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah it was my mom's white highlander.

She wasn't to worried about matching 100% just wanted the rust spots stopped before they got bad

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ .

Picked one of these up. Now that I have it in my hand, it makes more sense. From the picture and what little I read, it looked more like an actual pen and I was thinking the paint came out of the tip.

Again, I appreciate it...Gonna try and get the touch up done this weekend.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys along with the pens Wes and Boaisy mentioned. Will this be fine in your opinion to be uncleared? I live in Florida and it's a daily. On the roof I have 5 paint chips down to metal and saw them as I waxed my car. Very small, about the size of an ink pen tip or a little bigger. Want these to be fixed and rust free till I can get the roof painted which will probably be sometime later this year since I'm building a house and its sucking all my money up. Will I need to primer then use the touch up paint? My other option I was thinking of was tape off each spot and take 800 grit to sand down and get the rust off then brush or dab on some primer then color and some clear. If just the pen will work i'd prefer that route.

Thanks

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back