FoMoCo putting refurbished parts in new cars?

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
After getting the dreaded cd error on my 08 Shaker 500, I had to remove and diassemble the head unit to unplug the cd changer. To my surprise head unit has a assembly date of 1/28/08, but cd changer has a date stamp of 1/16/06 with a hand written R next to it! I bought this car new, so I know that is how it left the factory. What gives?

Last edited:

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that Ford buys their radios from a company, and that company builds them for Ford to spec. For example, my OEM nav is a fully made Pioneer units, riddled with Pioneer decals on the back, and lastly a big Ford sticker with final additions.

In your photo, the 2006 stamp looks like the chassis of the radio, IE probably the most universal piece in it. My guess is Delphi or Pioneer or whoever has a ton of parts, chassis etc, and when Ford hits em up for a shaker 500 in 2008, they grab old chassis, (still new, just made awhile back and not used yet) and put in whatever electronics Ford wants.

I HIGHLY doubt that radio was someones faulty '06 reconditioned.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Oh you're talking the top half of the shaker unit that holds 6 CD's? That's been around for YEARS in almost every Ford vehicle. My 04 Marauder had the EXACT same unit with a different head unit. Ford makes a style and uses the crap out of it. Nothing refurbed just Ford repurposing some older tech

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the entire radio in my '11 Premium is the same as a '10 Focus, Escape, F-150, etc. Just the dials are different.

46addict

Reaction score
If Ford uses a last in first out inventory system for these things, it is likely for parts to sit in the parts bin for years. I also doubt it is a reinstalled unit from someone's '06.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like my conspiracy therory was debunked. Currently taking apart the changer to try and extract the stuck cd's.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Update. Found a store online that sells new 07-09 Delco CD6 MP3 radio drive mechanism for $75 shipped. ReplacementRadios.com.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back