Stay with nitrous or switch to paxton?

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some input/data. I currently have a 75hp shot of nitrous, i planned on bumping that up to 125 through hsw plate but then picked up a paxton novi 1200 sl (non-intercooled) for cheap and now plan is to use that kit this spring. i already have everything needed for the paxton except a water/meth injection kit. (right now plan to just use water in it for cooling) my question is would i be better off staying with the nitrous or switching to paxton. current mods are lth, off-road h-pipe, mutha thumpr cams (not good for boost i know, but i like the sound), jlt cai, 285 street tires, tuned by lito. best time at the track last summer (also my first time ever at the track) i ran a 13.5 at 110mph with a 2+sec 60'. without nitrous. goals 450hp want to stay on the safe side for the stock motor. i only make it to the track once or twice a year, but i drive aggressively everywhere ha. so nitrous and non-intercooled paxton guys what are your hp numbers track times.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
All comes down to the setup and your goals.

FYI nitrous tends to help boost because it cools down the air charge.

However selling your nitrous parts could help you put money in the blower.

46addict

Reaction score
I was in that same boat. I started out with a 125 wet kit and came across a deal on a Procharger kit. I did not sell the nitrous setup but for now the bottle is out of the car. I plan on maxing out a D1SC and having a 100 shot set up as back up once I upgrade the bottom end.

The Novi 1200 is capable of breaking stock internals so it wouldn't make sense to run both until the engine is built.

Last edited:

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
If you only hit the track a couple times a year, I would sell the N2O. Unless you are doing a good bit or street racing, it's a waste IMO.
The power you get from the Paxton you will use all the time given your driving style.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
my thoughts were that both systems can meet my goal, the novi kit that i bought came with smaller pulleys and even 8 rib pulleys (previous owner was running at 15psi with meth injection). but recently i saw someone put up dyno numbers of their novi with sub 400 hp, he also had lth, and that made me nervous. however, he wasn't cooling the charge at all. and i realize there's a ton of variables in dyno numbers because i've also seen plenty of dyno sheets on the 1200 with 450+hp. So i guess i'm just trying to make sure i'm not taking a step backwards by taking out the N2O kit.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I prefer boost because it's always there when you want it. My buddy runs nitrous and it seems he needs to fill his bottle every time we head out.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Get rid of the blower and keep the nitrous. I have run both and still have both but no longer use the nitrous. You don't want a non intercooled blower. Just my .02

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since your asking opinions I would never use nitrous so my vote is boost. Oh and intercool it. You can build a a2a setup for it for under $500.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Don't trust us nitrous guys were all high on that fitting leak we gave up finding LOL.

(I actually had a fitting leak one time that I only figured out because I was driving with the bottle hooked up and the windows up then BAM out of nowhere high as a kite LOL)

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I switched from nitrous to a procharger. The only regret I have is not putting the bottle on top of it.. but I left my nitrous line installed, so it's just a matter of doing it if I want lol. I do miss that initial surprise when the switch gets flipped. If a blower in prime boost is beast mode, nitrous on top of it is beast mode on 'roids. Nitrous will always be a fiending addiction with or without a blower. I say do it. The blower will provide nothing but power where it wasn't before, with the benefit of being readily available at all times.

Edit: Forgot to add, while water/meth kits are great and all, an air to air IC setup isn't terribly expensive or difficult for you to put together for that Non-IC kit. A lot of people these days prefer tuner and non-IC kits just so they can put what they want in place, instead of modifying or not installing parts that come with full setups. It's worth being intercooled. Most drag junkies prefer air to water IC just so they can benefit from ice packing. Water/meth while great for IAT reduction should really, IMO, only be used as an octane band aide for combustion temps for high(er) power applications. We had a guy in our Mustang club that really wanted to do a water/meth kit on his pullied M90 427R sold under the idea that he would gain some of the advertised power increases the kits claim, so we did the install for him and took it to the dyno. He actually made less power even though the timing was cranked up. He just wasn't pushing enough boost to take advantage of the water/meth, and his IAT's really weren't hurting his single pass power production. Maybe if we had heat soaked the crap out of the motor/blower prior, the water/meth may have sustained power production, not sure. Part of my reason for getting off the bottle and into a FI setup was to free myself from being dependent on how much chemical power I had left in the tanks, be it nitrous or meth/100 octane, it needed everything to keep it together on spray. But I digress, as I also removed my car from track use and went strictly street car performance. So A2A IC was a must for me. E85 does everything else if I want the max out of what I have.

I also ran comp cams 127020's, I too enjoyed their thump and made decent power NA/N2O. Those cams being bad for boost is an understatement, as they are also terrible for nitrous. The ICL and LSA bleed spray right out of the exhaust ports like you never wanted it in their in the first place. As for boost, it hemorrhages boost even worse than nitrous, as the blower is literally pushing air from the intake ports, out the exhaust ports. If you like the 127020's and want to go FI, I suggest the FRPP Hot Rods. Better ICL and less aggressive LSA. You'll still bleed boost, but not as bad as the 020's will.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
leadfoot09.JPG

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I've had several boosted and nitrous assisted cars, I'd just keep what you have, and just increase the shot. For me, If it's a car that's going to stick around for a while, I'd lean towards boost. But if it's just a fun little project pos, spray her down for 500 dollars, although either will get you whatever power you're needing.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some input/data. I currently have a 75hp shot of nitrous, i planned on bumping that up to 125 through hsw plate but then picked up a paxton novi 1200 sl (non-intercooled) for cheap and now plan is to use that kit this spring. i already have everything needed for the paxton except a water/meth injection kit. (right now plan to just use water in it for cooling) my question is would i be better off staying with the nitrous or switching to paxton. current mods are lth, off-road h-pipe, mutha thumpr cams (not good for boost i know, but i like the sound), jlt cai, 285 street tires, tuned by lito. best time at the track last summer (also my first time ever at the track) i ran a 13.5 at 110mph with a 2+sec 60'. without nitrous. goals 450hp want to stay on the safe side for the stock motor. i only make it to the track once or twice a year, but i drive aggressively everywhere ha. so nitrous and non-intercooled paxton guys what are your hp numbers track times.

Why not use both? Skip the meth injection and use a small shot of nitrous. Should cool IAT's when you need it. Set up up to a window switch to come on at certain boost levels.

ChuckyRick

Reaction score
I`d keep both, But for now i`d only run the paxton and piece together a A2A system. Then when the time comes down the road you do a motor build (Believe me it will) run a 100 or 150 shot on top of the boost

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, definitely some good options to think over. Luckily i have 3+ months to think it all over. I like the idea of keeping both if i can, at first the tought was to sell the n2o kit to cover most of the SC purchase. But now i think i'll use this time to save up some funds and just get it intercooled, and just keep the n20 kit around for later. the SC also came with an 8 rib setup and smaller pulley so there's a lot of room to go bigger later on.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back