Looking to relocate Paxton Coolant tank

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I just don't like how the Paxton coolant tank is sitting on top the headers.

Does anyone have any suggestions to relocate the tank to the original stock location or something similar?

Do you guys think the moroso tank will fit?

Moroso tank looks slightly smaller than the OEM plastic one:
6008c8ea10cb87516400386297ed7865.jpg

Picture of my engine bay as reference.
636122a71ee0a2995a2f20503a3c6e61.jpg

24fe7a1d416b64366ba4c3aa00b1eead.jpg

The OEM tank almost fits but it hits the charge pipe.

TJL442

forum member
Reaction score
I used the factory tank on my 2010 with the Paxton but I did custom piping to make it work. I have a Canton tank I tried but that didn't fit either without custom pipes. The issue is the angle that the aluminum elbow off of the TB needs to be about half of what it is now or the tank hits it. I looked but didn't find any pics of mine installed as a reference. I used a 90* 4" to 3" silicone elbow in place of the aluminum elbow and made a new pipe to connect to it.

Tim

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Canton tank which is just an aluminum replacement for the original plastic one. I don't like where it sits either. Since I run my air filter right on top of the supercharger, I'm going to relocate mine to where the air filter would be.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a minimum size tank the 3v needs? I find the OEM one pretty big.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Most racing associations require a 1 pint container. As far as needs, I'm pretty sure I saw someone delete it or had a really tiny overflow tank on the s197forum Facebook page. I'll have to search for it and I'll post the pics when I do.

travelers

Reaction score
Have you thought about putting the batt. in the trunk and fab a tank to fit there with a larger volume

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Have you thought about putting the batt. in the trunk and fab a tank to fit there with a larger volume

Yes but that'll be my last resort as I don't want to make this a really expensive mod.

I ordered a Moroso tank from amazon got it today but as someone already mentioned it doesn't clear the cast throttle body elbow. It's closer to fitting than the oem plastic one but still gets in the way. If I had cutting/welding aluminum skills I could chop off the corner and close it up but no skills.

What do you guys think of the S550 tanks? Maybe it will fit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191832347279

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There was a YouTube video that used a Ford raptor coolant tank on a PJ super shaker. Not sure if your air filter will allow that to fit. I believe it was JDM engineering. I am about to install a super shaker on my 05 and consider this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TJL442

forum member
Reaction score
Yes but that'll be my last resort as I don't want to make this a really expensive mod.

I ordered a Moroso tank from amazon got it today but as someone already mentioned it doesn't clear the cast throttle body elbow. It's closer to fitting than the oem plastic one but still gets in the way. If I had cutting/welding aluminum skills I could chop off the corner and close it up but no skills.

What do you guys think of the S550 tanks? Maybe it will fit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191832347279

The S550 does look a little smaller and more rounded from my memory of my other car. If you'd like I could take some measurements off my 16 and we could see if it may fit better.

Tim

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
The S550 does look a little smaller and more rounded from my memory of my other car. If you'd like I could take some measurements off my 16 and we could see if it may fit better.

Tim

That would be awesome. The width and length of it especially.

I'm surprised I can't find any used as it seems that a lot of people are looking to upgrade because it looks like a grenade and it's all clear and ugly lol.

TJL442

forum member
Reaction score
It is 11 5/8 wide, 6 1/2 from center of mounting bolts to back edge towards engine. The bottom of the tank is rounded just like the top. If you need anything else just let me know.

Tim

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot TJL442 but it's actually bigger than the 05-09 unit. Looks like it would still interfere with the piping.

Now I'm looking at the Roush intercooler degas bottle.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I know I wish it didn't say Procharger on it. It's almost $200 as well.

If it fits I guess I could grind the letters down lol

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For those that relocate battery to trunk I make a coolant resevoir for battery location.
I can also make one to your specs. Powdercoated also.
698d9f1e8e05726a0b41b8dd290463d9.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
For those that relocate battery to trunk I make a coolant resevoir for battery location.
I can also make one to your specs. Powdercoated also.
698d9f1e8e05726a0b41b8dd290463d9.png

Could you make one that fits the stock location but clear the Paxton piping?

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could you make one that fits the stock location but clear the Paxton piping?

I can only make one if you give me dimensions.
I don't have Paxton/vortech car around anymore.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
If you're going to have one built here's my advice. Go "acquire" some old campaign signs, the ones made out of that plastic cardboard. Using scissors and hot glue make a mock up. That will be much better than giving your builder the dimensions. Your builder will have an exact model to build from that you already know fits where you want it.

I did this 10 years ago on a project and it worked great. Shipped the mock up to my builder who took angle measurements that he needed. He then disassembled the mock up, traced the panels on the aluminum, then cut them out. He said fabrication took less than 2 hours for the whole thing!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back